Thread: Suburban Towing

Default Suburban Towing

My truck decided not to start a couple of days ago and it's in the shop. It MIGHT be ready by this weekend, still waiting to hear. We had plans to tow the boat down the mountain for a lake day with some family. The only other vehicle that I'd strap it to is my wife's 2016 1500 Suburban. I've never towed anything over a couple thousand pounds with her vehicle. A quick google search tells me it has a towing capacity of 8,300lbs. My boat has a dry weight of 4,600lbs + 1,000lbs in the engines + 50 gallons or less of fuel currently in the tank + trailer (guessing 1,000lbs +/-). I do NOT have trailer brakes on the trailer. I pull the boat fine with a F350 gasser up and down the mountain.

What's the general consensus on pulling the boat with the suburban this one time? If it was flat land towing I wouldn't even ask this question, elevation change is why I'm asking, I am planning on taking the 'gradual climb' up and down the mountain through Blowing Rock. It's being pulled about 100 miles each way.

The boat is a Grady White Gulf Stream w/ twin Yamaha 150's.

Shriveled butt syndrome if you ask me. You’ve driven the roads in question to so use your judgement.

Have you considered a test run around the local area? Bear in mind the hotter the brakes get the worse performance you’ll get.

Rock on. Use the manual transmission on the shifter and click the tow haul button. Mix the brakes with the trans to slow the speeds on the downhills. Shouldn't be too much work on either if you balance it well.
    Double Secret Probation Officer

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    The boat is a Grady White Gulf Stream w/ twin Yamaha 150's.
    In the mountains...?
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

An old farmer friend replied once when I saw him pulling a cotton bailer, "She will tow anything, but she just can't stop'em." Having had the same truck you have, I will tell you that it will tow on level ground and even stop if no one pulls out on you. However, I would not feel comfortable in the hills with it. Always use the To/Haul button, but without brakes on that trailer, I would think better of it. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    In the mountains...?
    Deep trolling the trout streams.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BullJakeGrappler View Post
    Rock on. Use the manual transmission on the shifter and click the tow haul button. Mix the brakes with the trans to slow the speeds on the downhills. Shouldn't be too much work on either if you balance it well.
    Thats how I would roll it. And since her ride is 2016, flush the brake fluid before the trip if possible. If not I'd do it when I got back home.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    In the mountains...?
    Watauga Lake is our main haunt, DEEP water surrounded by mountains, think Jocassee but prettier (IMO). Boone and Holston lane are pretty close as well. It’s not all trout streams up here.

Going down 181 or 221? I think 181 is rougher but plenty of people do it and dont know what they are doing. Dont think there is a run-a-way on 181 though.
    Id start slow and go slow. Coming back up will be a bitch and rev'd up.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC_ducks View Post
    Going down 181 or 221? I think 181 is rougher but plenty of people do it and dont know what they are doing. Dont think there is a run-a-way on 181 though.
    Id start slow and go slow. Coming back up will be a bitch and rev'd up.

Two routes I'd take would either be 321 through Blowing Rock/Hickory/Gastonia or 421 through Boone/Wilkesboro. 321 has a longer but more gradual climb, 421 is shorter climb but a couple of steeper stretches.

321 would be my choice
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I was thinking you were going to Lake James. Yeah Id go 321

I have pulled out 36' camper several times with the wife's Yukon. I think the camper is 8,800 lbs. you could definitely tell it was back there. 6.0 engine
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Rent a boat.

Do you still
    Have the 250 Jacob?
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Hauled +/-6K with the wife's Yukon and no trailer brakes on flat ground. No problem.

In the hills, I'd definitely use the manual trans shift to keep things in check and the brakes sparingly. I'd say you'll be fine as long as you use your head.

Quote Originally Posted by pee dee View Post
    Do you still
    Have the 250 Jacob?
    I sold that a while ago, had a few trucks since then. F350 gas truck is in the shop, not getting any spark and he's trying to run down the problem.