Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crying Time is HERE

Originally posted by JABIII:
    No need to get all defensive. I am truly trying to learn. Forgive me if I don't just take the word of some guy off the internet at face value. I am sure you are right but if I have learned anything around here in the last year, it is that some of those who talk the biggest game, kill the least. I am certain that applies to fishermen as well but neither here nor there. You can't learn if you don't question...

Was there, in your opinion, EVER a migration of anadromous striped bass in the Santee system?
    I thought my smiley would indicate I'm not taking the questions the wrong way. However, as I continue to spout off all these answers, I just wanted to let you know the sources of the info from which I'm working. I still have more questions than answers myself. Hell, I was recently spreading some serious misinformation about the Santee situation and the ratio of hatchery to natural fish there.

As far as the "were they ever anadromous" goes, I can't point to any evidence that shows they were. Like I said, William Elliott wrote about southern strain fish not leaving their home rivers in the 1840s. Not sure we have much to go on before that time frame. My personal guess is that striped bass evolved to migration in the north because their food was migrating and they have to eat. In the south, the river environment contains enough food year round to keep such a migration from being necessary. They all require riverine environments for reproduction.

Claimer, what fish are you talking about?

Disclaimer: I'm not a biologist, just another know it all on scducks.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

That theory makes sense. Thanks.

Originally posted by DUCKMAN:
    Little River is a 100% salt water/ocean inlet.
    The swing bridge is considered the fresh/salt break for law enforcement purposes. The actual break is constantly moving as you would expect.

I would speculate that we have a mixture of migratory and non migratory fish in SC rivers and off of this coast. It would seem logical that this would occur easily and naturally just like the latest bluefin tuna migration.

Interesting....

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

I just assumed! I think he has done the research and just as we all have said - there are exceptions to every rule. I watched and videoed with sound 18 sandhill cranes in central SC this year with two other witnesses!
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

Originally posted by Fish:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DUCKMAN:
    Little River is a 100% salt water/ocean inlet.
    I would speculate that we have a mixture of migratory and non migratory fish in SC rivers and off of this coast. It would seem logical that this would occur easily and naturally just like the latest bluefin tuna migration. </font>[/QUOTE]I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. If it is happening, your brother would prolly be one of the first to report such a catch. I can promise you that nothing would give me a bigger bone than schooling stripers at the Charleston jetties! As for the nets, I didn't bring it up at the meeting because it would have been an unfair distraction. The DNR has an uphill climb to get the basic facts out about the current situation. I can create a laundry list of potential problems with the fisheries...overnight set shad nets, destruction of riparian buffers from clear cutting, average water temps increasing, dry years, poor water releases by Santee Cooper etc etc etc. I hope you guys will keep this issue as one of your concerns.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

Thanks for sharing and keep us all informed! I miss catching a 10 pound striper and not even think about keeping such a young one - certainly not the case anymore!
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

Have and when will we know of any changes in rules and regulations with the stripers in the Santee Cooper Lakes and Santee, Wateree, and Congaree Rivers? Obviously the 21" 5 fish limit isn't working but I don't blame it all on that. Like was previously said there is so many other changing conditions in their habitat to prevent successful spawning BUT...what about all the fish that are put back dead because of a 21" limit? 3 years ago I was catching a limit of keepers if not close everytime I went and now its hard to scratch out a couple. Has it been over fished? Are they not migrating up river in the same patterns? Are the #'s decreasing due to unsuccessful spawning? Or is it all of the above? I really hate to do it but will find myself fishing Murray and Hartwell this year if something doesn't change. And considering all of Santee Coopers fish are land locked...how far can this go without something being done?

He's caught some nice bass. But he also caught them near the inlet.

So Stripa, what you're suggesting is that in the absence of a full-on striper blitz in our inlets and off our coast like the ones that occur to the north, we just don't have any migratory fish?

Is there a genetic difference in the two fish?

I'm suggesting that I know of no evidence that our fish migrate or that any northern fish migrate this far south. DNR has done studies that show that our fish have unique genetic characteristics down to the specific river from which they came....ie. a fish from the Santee River would have genetic traits that differ from a fish from the Edisto River.

Rubberhead

The big bruisers I was talking about came up the cooper and through the locks. When the rediversion was created the stopped the flow down the cooper changing the long held patterns.
    easy livin'

SUMTER/ RIMINI DEPENDING UPON THE SEASONS

correct... redeversion was the end of the ocean run stripers. you can debate it all you want. redeversion destroyed a very special lake system. end of story.
    JP111

While the dams, diversion, rediversion, and passage mechanisms all had impacts on patterns, I'll challenge you to produce an ounce of evidence that you have ever seen a striper offshore in SC. If I'm misunderstanding your definition of "ocean run", please explain. This situation is too serious to continue the mythology that has been handed down through the local ranks.

Rubberhead

What is the biggest difference between Cooper River stripers and Savannah River stripers? I thought the Savannah River fish were true salt/fresh migrators. Of course, I am clueless.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

SUMTER/ RIMINI DEPENDING UPON THE SEASONS

how did the striped bass end up landlocked in santee cooper? this is my last post on this subject.
    JP111

Because there were fish caught behind a dam. Why is it your last post? Rat, I'll answer your question when I've got a few minutes.

Rubberhead

Stripa I do not understand. These fish were here when the santee cooper lakes built?

The rivers had resident striper populations and the dams trapped some fish in the lakes. "Landlocked" is really misleading for southern striped bass. They never were ocean migrators. Maybe that term is the source of all the confusion? Think about it. If all the rivers of the lowcountry, GA, and Florida that hold stripers spit them out for a northern migration, wouldn't we have some incredible surf fishing for stripers in the fall?

Rat, the fish are basically the same fish from NC to Alabama. Their seeminlgy different habits are dictated by the environment they're trying to survive in. Man has really manipulated southern coastal rivers in the last century. As I understand it, the Savannah River population was crushed because of a tide gate that was causing the eggs to get flushed into the ocean. Many coastal river populations will spawn in the tidal soup because it provides adequate flow rates to keep the semi bouyant eggs from settling on the bottom. Other than the tide gate issue, the Savannah situation isn't unique in any way that I'm familiar with. Not sure if that addresses your question.

Rubberhead

Don't wanna ruin any conversation but does ANYONE know what the HELL is going on in the LAKES???? They are a state fish because they are land locked into Santee Cooper!!!!! No, they were not stocked and yes they survived but what now????? Can anyone answer this damn question?

tradorion Coots

you just might be surprised at some of your assumptions there HQ... i know i was when i learned about the majority of Santee Lakes stripers...

Professor Swipa- continue your discourse please sir.