Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chiggers

Default Chiggers

They love me and I hate them. What do y'all use to keep them off of you? What do you use after they've eaten you and left an itchy puss bump?

Those things are torture! Last time I got a bad batch I posted about it on here. Since then, I spray down EVERY time before going in the woods & it works!!

Chiggers love me too. Evil little bastards. My best defense is to spray my legs with deet before I put on my shoes or socks. That creates a barrier.

If you do end up with bites, treat it like an infection. Get some rubbing alcohol and scrub the bites. And keep after it with rubbing alcohol until they heal. By the time you realize you have a bite, they are long gone. They essentially liquify the skin to feed on as larvae and are gone after they hatch.

I had them often and bad enough as a kid, that either they dont like me anymore, or I am immune to them. My daughter has found they love her too.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I wish I could say the same for ticks...

I pulled two off me Saturday.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Dont seem to bother me these days. Probably to damn tough. how to get them is to sit on a half rotten log or stump, works everytime.

Keep a bag of Sevin Dust in your truck. Put a little around top of each boot and a little around beltline. Has always worked for me and never seemed to bother the animals I was hunting.
    Last edited by TARBABY; 08-29-2022 at 02:56 PM.
    GREAT PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.
    AVERAGE PEOPLE TALK ABOUT THINGS.
    SORRY PEOPLE TALK ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE.

SRS GRHRCH UH BOBO MNH
    2009 MID ATLANTIC RETRIEVER CHAMPION
    2009 HUNTSVILLE SRS CHAMPION

HRCH UH WOODY

Plain ol can of Off!

Spray pants, socks, legs, belt line. Every. Time.

Chigger rid helps with the itch. Don't put it on if youve scratched your skin raw though. Ax my kids why.

After bite, benadryl and prayers. Before you go in the woods, apply bug spray at the openings of your pants legs, shirt sleeves, waist if your shirt is untucked, etc. They can't bite thru clothes and have to crawl around on you to find the soft skin that they can bite. Keep em from getting in and you're golden.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I got the worst case of them I have ever had after the dog went into the marsh and then up on the bed a couple months ago. Rarely ever had them get me in the woods and I never wear spray. Ticks rarely bite me either but those little red sumbitches made me rethink that notion...

Find a hungover friend who's dehydrated to pee on your legs, for a quick fix.. the greater sulfur smell the better, find one who drinks Goldschalger.

Short day limbing a few stands (I think I cut 4-5 limbs with a pole saw total) and the evil little shits got arms and legs. I had long pants, snake boots and a long sleeve fishing shirt. I didn't think I'd need to spray down for such a small amount of time but damn.

Contrary to popular opinion you can pick them off when you first notice the bumps and the itching will go away shortly after, or at least it does for me and I get a few weekly. Use a sharp knife and you old fellas will probably need some reading glasses and a flashlight to see them. It's not the actual chigger that's on you but the larvae that is feeding on you, they detach after a few days.

I wear a thin pair of knees boots anytime I hit the woods to work. (I don’t spray if hunting) Tuck in your pants leg and spray your boots. Tuck in your shirt and lightly spray around your belt and you should be good. Do not sit on the ground especially in pines this time of the year. I learned that one the hard way about 20 years ago. The boots also help you away from the poison oak and ivy.

Spray clothes down with permethrin spray let dry

I have the worst time with those bastards. I can hop out of the truck and just be in the woods for SECONDS and I'll have them later

Sawyers permethrin spray for clothes. Spray on clothes, socks, boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinby90 View Post
    Spray clothes down with permethrin spray let dry
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Sawyers permethrin spray for clothes. Spray on clothes, socks, boots.
    This, long pants, high boots, spray it all.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Rarely ever bother me. Maybe I am getting immune. Same with ticks. Now if I could say the same for mosquitos I'd be rich.