Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis elbow / cast net elbow

Default Tennis elbow / cast net elbow

Around two months ago I was throwing the cast net at a school of mullet, and felt something sting/pull on the outside of my elbow. Ever sense then it’s been bothering me. My health care friends say it’s tennis elbow. It hurts when I grab anything with that arm and sometimes depending on what I’m doing the pain is unbelievable. Do any of y’all have any experience with it?

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    Around two months ago I was throwing the cast net at a school of mullet, and felt something sting/pull on the outside of my elbow. Ever sense then it’s been bothering me. My health care friends say it’s tennis elbow. It hurts when I grab anything with that arm and sometimes depending on what I’m doing the pain is unbelievable. Do any of y’all have any experience with it?
    It sucks. There are a number of stretches you can do, and that, along with ice and rest can help. That being said, my left arm has been eat up with it for over a year. The severity comes and goes but it has been there nonetheless. Also had two different bouts of it with my right arm that each lasted over a year.

Just get the surgery. I let them try 4 rounds of cortisone shots and prolonged the pain way longer than I should. I’m sure it all depends on severity, but I would have set up the surgery on appointment 1 knowing what I know now.

ETA: orthocarolina at mercy hospital in Charlotte did my surgery. Highly recommend.
    Last edited by wiz18; 08-28-2022 at 08:14 PM.

Sleep on the couch and shove the affected arm between the two backrest cushions. This keep it elevated and immobile.

I had cut the shit out of my hand so I cut line all day with a bush axe one handed. Not a good plan. I fought that shit for weeks until I did the above.

You sure it started after "throwing a cast net"

Rest is the best cure.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Just get the surgery. I let them try 4 rounds of cortisone shots and prolonged the pain way longer than I should. I’m sure it all depends on severity, but I would have set up the surgery on appointment 1 knowing what I know now.

ETA: orthocarolina at mercy hospital in Charlotte did my surgery. Highly recommend.
    How long did it bother you before you had the surgery?

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    You sure it started after "throwing a cast net"

Rest is the best cure.
    Yes but it does aggravate it.

Does it hurt when you pick up a gallon of milk?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Does it hurt when you pick up a gallon of milk?
    Yes, or especially shake someone’s hand.

Been there and got the shirt. Dr will no longer give me cortisone as it never lasted more than a day or two. Listen to Tater or try this. Find the exact point where the pain is the worst. Squeeze that spot as tight as you can for 1-2 mins. Repeat numerous times. Pressure at the point of the pain and elevated rest worked best for me. One of those Velcro sleeves you can get at CVS worked good to. Was supposed to go for a consult about surgery but the pain just stopped and I never went. Now when I feel it coming on I start with the pressure and rest and it doesn’t get to bad.
    Someone mentioned picking up milk. Had it so bad once I struggled turning door knobs for a few weeks. Trying to crank my truck left handed was a pain as well.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Got the same thing, I can pick stuff up but it that slight movement doing something like turning a key.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    Yes, or especially shake someone’s hand.
    Tennis elbow is an over use injury not an acute one. Unless you are throwing a cast net that often…. Sounds more like an acute injury not tennis elbow. Sudden onset.

Assuming with your palm facing up it’s the thumb side of your elbow…… muscle/tendon or ligament most likely. Unless you are getting any numbness or tingling.. Depending on the exact location of the pain could be an RCL or an extensor bundle injury. If it hurts shaking hands and picking up things like a gallon of milk for that length of time need to go see an Ortho.

Edit to add

From your MOI sounds more like an RCL. Just a guess.
    Last edited by darealdeal; 08-28-2022 at 08:46 PM.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

A pressure band on your forearm can help alleviate the pain in your elbow. I've had it real bad from running a skid steer and from casting and fighting schooling stripers. It sucks. Excruciating pain. Hurt to lift a coffee cup out of the cupboard.

Meloxicam (anti inflammatory) and elevating my arm on a pillow at night helped.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Tennis elbow is an over use injury not an acute one. Unless you are throwing a cast net that often…. Sounds more like an acute injury not tennis elbow. Sudden onset.

Assuming with your palm facing up it’s the thumb side of your elbow…… muscle/tendon or ligament most likely. Unless you are getting any numbness or tingling.. Depending on the exact location of the pain could be an RCL or an extensor bundle injury. If it hurts shaking hands and picking up things like a gallon of milk for that length of time need to go see an Ortho.

Edit to add

From your MOI sounds more like an RCL. Just a guess.
    I think you just hit the nail on the head. I was not from over use. This sounds expensive. Thanks so much for the information. You can find out anything you would want to know on sc ducks….. amen?
    Last edited by santee11; 08-28-2022 at 09:00 PM.

I ended up with tennis elbow from bowling. I was bowling with the kids and was seeing how fast I could sling the ball. After 2 games, my elbow started hurting like crazy. I chalked it up to not bowling in years and not using those muscled. Wrong! Went to get in the car and couldn't lift the door handle. Got the door open with my left hand. Tried to pull the gear shifter down, nope. I could even lift a can of coke without extreme pain. Like others said, find the spot where it hurts and push as hard as you can stand for as long as you can stand. My wife prob did this a hundred times for me, esp driving down the road. It took over a year for the pain to go completely away. Every now and then I can do something and flare it right back up but it goes away after a few days. Unfortunately, I haven't been back to bowl since then.
    every expert was once a beginner

Find a good chiropractor. He/she can help.

I did something the other week and the pain in my forearm was something else. Hurt to drive. I went to my glorified chiropractor (Integrative health solutions) doc rubbed on it hard for 3 days straight with bio freeze, there is a professional bio freeze white container that works great, Doc also took one of those massage guns to the forearm for about 25 min. This did go along with some low level lasers to help inflammation. All of this to say, deep tissue work in the area of pain, stretch, and some rest/time did the trick for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pro Tip cause I got it bad years ago from spooling 80Wides. B-12 1000 mcg a day look it up and stay off using it cause you can't if you had like me. It works. Or you could do the drug route but not for me/ Not a problem since
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Good grief. Next time just let your wife throw the net. She’d look a lot better doing it than you anyhow…..

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Good grief. Next time just let your wife throw the net. She’d look a lot better doing it than you anyhow…..
    You are not wrong and she just rolls her eyes when I complain about it. I keep telling her wait till you turn 40…