54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 77.78%
  • No

12 22.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limit Access

Default Limit Access

Poll to limit access to all Cat 2 areas. Only access is during Wed and Sat for duck hunting. Off the water by 12 during duck season starting 2 weeks prior to season opening.
    Last edited by darealdeal; 08-24-2022 at 08:10 AM.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Need a large sample size please vote.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

You do realize some Cat 2 areas are also opening to fishing also. How do you expect that to work out?

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate lab84 View Post
    You do realize some Cat 2 areas are also opening to fishing also. How do you expect that to work out?
    because only duck hunters disturb ducks. Duh.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Only access is during Wed and Sat for duck hunting

edit to add

More clear and concise wording and definitive language will be brought up and debated later at the ending of the poll depending on the poll results.
    Last edited by darealdeal; 08-24-2022 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    because only duck hunters disturb ducks. Duh.
    No joke....guess I will put a Zebco 33 on a shit rod in a boat to fish during the other days....

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate lab84 View Post
    I’ve spent lots of time thinking on this. I see it out west as well. Some of the WMAs we hunt out there are no access during duck season, except duck hunting. Some of the 4am rules I’ve seen, are different depending on the area. One area in particular, you can’t even go past the gate until 4am. Can never hunt past lunch, and have to off the water by 1pm. Some units are 2/3 days a week, some are open every day. However the every day areas, are draw hunt only Saturday and Sunday. I know their duck populations are higher, so they’re going to have better success, but why has it taken this long for South Carolinians to realize there’s an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

That is the point of the poll..... To limit access to anyone that is not duck hunting.... Only allowing access on Wed and Sat during the season starting 2 week prior to the season. Off the water by 12.
    I guess only access to duck hunt on Wed and Sat was not clear enough or the title being limit access? Cat 2s are already limited to duck hunting access to just wed and sat...... This is for everyone else.... That includes those that would be fishing.... No access during ducks season....

Other folks pay taxes to support these lands as well, so they shouldn't be able to do their thing whatever it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    Other folks pay taxes to support these lands as well, so they shouldn't be able to do their thing whatever it is?
    Going to play devils advocate. Not just about duck hunting, but there have been many times I have had a hunt messed up by someone fishing, Karen and her kids hiking, etc. I fully support some sort of restrictions on these areas when folks are actively hunting. I can’t go throw my decoys in the retention pond at the local greenway, so how is it okay for those folks to walk through an area I am hunting. Like stated above, close these areas to all activities outside of what is in season, or what that area is designated for, during those times.

"Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

It's kinda what you get when hunting public, right? It's like putting a stand on a dirt road and getting mad when a vehicle drives by. I would think that they (DNR) would/should block some areas of a property during the "hunting" days, but not an entire season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    It's kinda what you get when hunting public, right? It's like putting a stand on a dirt road and getting mad when a vehicle drives by. I would think that they (DNR) would/should block some areas of a property during the "hunting" days, but not an entire season.
    That’s true. However, I rarely have issues with other hunters. It’s always the non-hunters. Old men fishing around your decoys. Karens hiking during prime gobbling time, etc, etc. The public water isn’t such an issue, because lots of those guys hunt too, and when they see the decoys, they know and will tend to move away. On the opposite side of the spectrum, I have had a Karen cuss me up and down, because “she pays taxes, and can do what she wants.” If they’re going to let anyone walk areas that are being hunted, they should have to purchase the same WMA permit we do, at least.

If it's public land, it's public land. The public is entitled to enjoy it however they legally see fit. How do you think these Karen's feel when they witness you drop a beautiful Wood duck pair in front of her and her kids.
    I am an avid hunter, but I understand that my wants aren't everyone's wants. They pay just like we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Love2labs View Post
    If it's public land, it's public land. The public is entitled to enjoy it however they legally see fit. How do you think these Karen's feel when they witness you drop a beautiful Wood duck pair in front of her and her kids.
    I am an avid hunter, but I understand that my wants aren't everyone's wants. They pay just like we do.
    Then we should open all Cat 1s and Cat 2s with no restrictions? We can open a poll?????

Yes. Please put up another poll.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Yes. Please put up another poll.
    hahaha

Default Limit Access

Quote Originally Posted by Love2labs View Post
    That last line is where my issue arises. If they pay the WMA fee, let em have at it. But they don’t. Make it even across the board and I’ll not have a problem

Last edited by billbuster84; 08-24-2022 at 02:33 PM.

When non-hunters purchase a s WMA permit expect them to ask for no hunting days for “safety”.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    When non-hunters purchase a s WMA permit expect them to ask for no hunting days for “safety”.
    Sunday

If you want real results limit them to 1 day a week.

Wednesdays for some, Saturdays for some.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.