121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes ban

59 48.76%
  • No ban

62 51.24%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Banning Mud Motors

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    The people ain't making the noise, the motor is. Ducks pick up and leave L O N G before the people get close to them.
    I know I woke up yesterday and my boat was gone and he came back with 2 steak biscuits from hardees lol.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

I think we should ban radios in boats, and mountain dew in all public waterways.

I should’ve videoed these young boys I saw last season.

They would hunt the lake via HT ramp presumably.

Blackdog Club was holding about 15-20k.
    These young fellas would park on the side of the road to watch birds come into the field.

One of them decided to get in his boat and crank his gator tail. Revved it wide open.
    Worked like a charm. He lifted damn near every duck in the field sky high.

birds in a high diked field that couldn’t see him. Most were 800 yards from him on the shallow end.
    Half of em went north, the others booked south toward the refuge.

Our fathers had enough sense to realize that airboats were detrimental to wintering waterfowl.
    So they did something about it.

Back then there was only 1 way to run a loud ass boat thru inches of sheetwater and choked out vegetation.

Now there are two ways to accomplish that…… 1 is still allowed.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post

Our fathers had enough sense to realize that airboats were detrimental to wintering waterfowl.
    So they did something about it.
    I started to post that yesterday and then thought, why? I have already posted it 55,000 times over the last 20 years...

I'm still confused if yal are pissed about the noise of them or that they can get into more remote areas. Both is an acceptable answer.

both
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    both
    Yep.

Mudmotor companies need to buy their mufflers from Yamaha and then we can narrow this bitch session down to one complaint.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I think we should ban radios in boats, and mountain dew in all public waterways.
    I’d vote for that-

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    I'm still confused if yal are pissed about the noise of them or that they can get into more remote areas. Both is an acceptable answer.
    In the simplest explanation I can:

1. The question isn’t if they spook ducks, it’s how far?
    I’ve seen upwards of a half mile personally. Myself in a mudboat planed off in a salt marsh setting.
    No outboard can do that no matter what the surface drive enthusiast may say.
    2. Pre- surface drive there were public areas that we simply couldn’t get to because of terrain. Too thick in vegetation, too shallow, or too muddy to walk into.
    These areas served as resting zones ON public waterways that kept birds in the public areas.
    This is no longer the case.
    3. Destruction of habitat - there is no law (and shouldn’t be) that deters us from doing donuts on beneficial vegetation mudflats. This is where personally responsibility comes into play.
    However given the type of folks that duck hunt, utilize surface drives, etc, good luck. We are inundated by 18-40yr old red necks.
    When I was 20, I drove a 1996 4WD Toyota on 36 Mickey Thompsons. I loved nothing more than the challenge of powerline bottom after a hard rain. I grew out of that.
    The 20k mudboat owners I see out there every year have not.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I think I found the answer to why we don't have good public duck hunting in SC.
    To quote Bogster: "We are inundated by 18-40yr old red necks."
    DILLIGAF

Wetland vegetation that is chopped up by MM's sprouts roots......so MM's actually help spread vegetation around the lake

I dont have but about 4k in mine so it won't be too hard on DNR to pay me for mine during the buy back program when they ban them. Maybe while they are at it they can ban all shotguns that hold more than one shell so it cuts down on the skybusting and have a mandatory duck call class that costs 500 dollars and you have to pass a cognitive test and stand up call routine before you are allowed to buy a duck call.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Wetland vegetation that is chopped up by MM's sprouts roots......so MM's actually help spread vegetation around the lake

Well that is true.

But, vallisneria doesn’t spread well via fragmentation.

Most of the species considered a nuisance by the state spread exceptionally well via fragmentation though.

One could argue that in itself is a problem.

You could have just said both. Should modern flats skiffs also be banned because they allow anglers to get into water they didn't use to be able to get to?

When I looked at this today. We had 4,079 between the 4 pools and only 331 votes. Around 8% involvement. Between those actually involved I have come to the overwhelming conclusion none of us can agree on anything. I do not want anymore governmental intrusion into our lives anymore than the next person. Yet we accept it every day with speed limits and paying taxes until the day we die.
    I have no experience with mud motors. None at all and I have no clue if they are a problem. I have not seen a research study on the effects of mud motors and harassment on wildlife and spreading weeds or anything else. Simple experiment to show we have someone that is willing to help us govern ourselves. DT is willing as anyone to put forth the effort politician or not. We can do what is the norm around here and just complain or we can come up with ideas debate them and see if our local and few politicians willing to help voice our opinions/concerns can implement action. I will tell you the one thing I do know. We as hunters better start coming to an understanding with one another as the non-hunting crowd agrees on one thing and that is to stop us at all cost and they are slowly taking over. they already have the college education that trains the next generation of biologist and "conservationist"....
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    You could have just said both. Should modern flats skiffs also be banned because they allow anglers to get into water they didn't use to be able to get to?
    Even if the bee was capable of explaining to the fly that honey is better than shit…….

First off, You don’t need a mud boat to kill ducks. You never have and never will. At least here in SC. Surface drives have destroyed hunting on the cooper river and have seen first hand in many bodies of water of people purposefully running through flats and sloughs to jump up birds. Places you couldn’t run an outboard. Yes it boils down to the individual user, but unfortunately the wise ones are very few and far between.
    867-5309

So we outlaw mud motors.

What kind of disturbance does ambushing them on opening morning with 4-6 guns blasting away?

If they stick around after the 1st weekend, mud motors aren't the problem.

And for the record, I do not own a mud motor and have never ridden in one.

Don't worry they are on the verge of costing $40,000 so alot less people are going to have them.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"