Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 24 Volt Electrical Help

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    So the wiring was already in place but no plug? How is the TM connected to the wiring that was already in place?
    The TM power cables run directly to the batteries. Well not all the way, there is a connection somewhere in between. There is no traditional plug or outlet on the bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you buy this boat with the TM already on it?

I would disconnect at the batter and pull wires out at TM. When you do the make sure to pull a fishing wire at the same time.

Cut wires at the connection. Test TM by wiring it straight to batteries without that spliced connection. This would be an easier task if it were wired with a plug. If trolling motor is good, simply rewire with plug.

My gut is telling me the problem is in the TM. Why all high speeds but no low speeds? Open the head of the TM and see if you see a disconnected wire. Or some sort of wiring issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SCFoxman View Post
    I'll take a stab and guess the bow connection wouldn't work for him either, so he found a workaround.

Add TM plug to the bow and rewire with correct awg for amp draw starting load
    This, go to Academy and get the male and the female 24V TM plugs.
    Run the correct size red wire and black wire up to the bow and install male plug in bow and
    female plug on TM. Crimp properly and use heat shrink tubing and then electrical tape.

I’ve had 24 volt I pilot motors wired straight to the batteries on my flats boat for 7 years and have never had a connection problem. I would pull the old wires and run new straight to the battery again. If you don’t plan to ever remove the motor then I wouldn’t deal with a plug. Just my opinion though especially if it’s going in saltwater. If you do go the plug route get a battery tender. Are you getting the green light and audible beep beep when you deploy the motor?

Bobby
    You absolutely want a 20amp trolling motor "breaker" installed on the wiring also.
    This protects the motor if you short something out. They are small, simple and cheap.
    The breaker "trips" and takes one second to reset it if there is ever a problem

I read up on this a little more last night. Seeing as you don't have 1-4 but have 5-whatever...I'm going to go with the variable speed control panel in the head of the TM. Just reading and guessing though.

I had this problem with same tm and had a bad cell on a battery. Batteries lived on a charger. Would recharge and kick off to trickle. But acted goofy like what you’re talking about. Did you say you tested them individually under load? I’d start there before I started pulling wire.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

if:
    a. hooked direct to battery, TM functions as it should
    &
    b. hooked to the backwoods "under bow" connection, you're getting the intermittent operation

Then the connection is the culprit, and either neatly wire direct or put in the bow mount TM connector with appropriate sized cable (with inline fuse of course) and roll. I feel like there's some missing info otherwise, or my reading comprehension demonstrates the true failure of the Berkeley education I received.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Bobby
    You absolutely want a 20amp trolling motor "breaker" installed on the wiring also.
    This protects the motor if you short something out. They are small, simple and cheap.
    The breaker "trips" and takes one second to reset it if there is ever a problem
    All of this

There are 3 places you could have the issue:
    Batteries
    Wire/connection
    TM

Have you just swapped out batteries for known good ones yet? Borrow from a truck etc. this will give you an idea where the problem is.

After that try running the TM off fresh wire/no connections.

If neither of those works it’s the TM, take it in to a repair center.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadrifter View Post
    ....If you do go the plug route get a battery tender......
    Amen! I have fought with the standard trolling motor plugs that were unreliable for years and finally went with a Battery Tender plug and all my issues went away.

Ended up being a bad plug. Took the faceplate off and found the connection at the bow. Well I didn’t but somebody who knew what they were doing. The plug connection was losing 12 volts. Ended up just direct wiring directly to the batteries and I am going to replace it soon anyway. Runs like a top now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk