Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cake like your grandmother made

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Great day this brings back some memories.

My great grandmother would have a chocolate cake on a glass cake stand every time we showed up to her house in Warrior Creek (Laurens) in the 70's/early 80's. Can't remember what her oven was but she cooked on a coal burning stove. No confectioner's sugar either - only granulated for her. I can still feel that icing crunching in my teef.

Y’all’s moms still don’t do that….
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Quote Originally Posted by pee dee View Post
    Mine does. That gritty icing is the best!
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

My wife has been making cakes and icing from scratch for 15 years or so. No boxed mix or canned icing. They are incredible and nothing against my grandmothers or my mothers baking skills, but my wife wins every time. Probably only does 6-7 a year these days for family bdays and such.

I did have a great aunt that made those 12 layer chocolate cakes and 7 layer caramels that bring back great memories. Was a big damn deal to be able to get a slice of aunt verseys cake at the reunions
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    My wife has been making cakes and icing from scratch for 15 years or so. No boxed mix or canned icing. They are incredible and nothing against my grandmothers or my mothers baking skills, but my wife wins every time. Probably only does 6-7 a year these days for family bdays and such.

I did have a great aunt that made those 12 layer chocolate cakes and 7 layer caramels that bring back great memories. Was a big damn deal to be able to get a slice of aunt verseys cake at the reunions
    Your wife is the KRT of baking…

These are my favorite kind of cakes. I will be ordering one.

Quote Originally Posted by pee dee View Post
    Nope, she is gone, but her specialty was pineapple cake from scratch. We did a big BBQ every fall with over 150 people and if you didnt get a piece when you went through the line there was none left after your BBQ plate.

Brings back some memories for sure. I used to help my Granny make a chocolate pound cake with chocolate icing that would make you a diabetic after one slice. My mother still makes a pretty mean caramel cake.