Thread: Spot-lock

Default Spot-lock

If anybody has one, I am trying to understand the mechanics of operation.

Is the motor speed constant or does it adjust based on the boat's drift. So in other words, does it cutting on and off or does it take advantage of the variable speed capability of the motor and adjust it so that the motor is constantly running?

Thanks.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Basically, both. It will vary its speed (even to zero) to maintain a location within its reference circle.

https://minnkota-help.johnsonoutdoor...ot-Lock-Basics
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

What difference does it make if you stay in your spot?
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

it's bad ass is what it is. I love mine... must have for striper fishing.
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

It will always face you into the current and works best in a medium to strong current as long as it is rated properly for your boat. Adjusting speed and direction as necessary.

Some of the creeks I fish during tide changes it seems to have a hard time and goes all over without much of a current to center it. Almost like it’s constantly over correcting.

It will continually adjust speed and heading to hold you. A huge asset in many fishing situations, deal breaker in shallow water.

what they all said.
    One thing that I have learned is, when in a current and I hit it;
    by the time it takes hold, I may have moved slightly off my spot, so
    I go up current about 10 or 15 ft or whatever from where I want to be and lock it
    and by the time it grabs......I am dead on my location

Double press the anchor and it immediately locks the gps position, only press once and it waits 5sec to grab the gps position

Get over a reef...hit a button...fish. Need to adjust 10 feet to port...hit the left button twice. It is way, way better than an anchor when bottom fishing.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Oh, and to answer your original question, it will constantly change speeds and spin in all directions in order to try to keep you on the spot. You will hear it whirring as the motor speed goes up and down and grunting as it spins to fix direction.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

A lot of my fishing is right up next to the jetty rocks, like one rod length or less. Wind and current determine which side of the rocks. I'm not sure I could get comfortable trusting the trolling motor on spotlock that close but it sure would be nice to be able to concentrate on fishing more than keeping the boat still and off the rocks. I have a tiller and I'm also not sure how hard it would be to work that close with a remote steer motor even with spotlock. Anybody ever risk their boat up close to solid objects in not-so-great conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    A lot of my fishing is right up next to the jetty rocks, like one rod length or less. Wind and current determine which side of the rocks. I'm not sure I could get comfortable trusting the trolling motor on spotlock that close but it sure would be nice to be able to concentrate on fishing more than keeping the boat still and off the rocks. I have a tiller and I'm also not sure how hard it would be to work that close with a remote steer motor even with spotlock. Anybody ever risk their boat up close to solid objects in not-so-great conditions?
    I used to hate people that anchor at the jetties. Hate them. I'd drift with float corks and have to break my drift every time...

That said, I finally had enough since I couldnt beat em, and joined em...and used a sacrificial brick to throw in the rocks on a piece of rope I could cleat off an break then throw my big anchor away from the jetties into the sand. I could take in and and turn loose on either rope to get closer or further away from the rocks, according to conditions. Never crunched the boat.

That said I now have a spot lock trolling motor. I wouldnt use it at the end of the jetties where the wind and current can and will change in a hurry. I'd trust it to maintain me in a constant current but not too heavy...my spot lock has been throwing my inline fuse when i've got it maxed out. I'd hate to have it throw the breaker in hairy conditions. Not worth the risk IMHO.

also...I've also learned to use drop shot weights that will break off in the rocks so fishing straight down isnt so much of a necessity.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 08-17-2022 at 01:41 PM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    we use spot lock when sheepshead fishing against concrete seawalls and bridge pilings and such and its been fine,
    Was worried at first about beating my boat up but it didnt happen

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Double press the anchor and it immediately locks the gps position, only press once and it waits 5sec to grab the gps position
    i didnt know that, will try it

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    i didnt know that, will try it
    I had never heard of the double tap for immediate positioning but what I would do in heavy current or wind is manually steer it with the remote to the me right where I want to be held and then lock it in

No idea on the Spotlock but the Rhodan has been a gamechanger for me. My only gripe is that Jack is 14 and hasn't really had the pleasure of pulling in 4-500' of anchor rode covered in jellyfish tentacles. He thinks anchoring is about releasing the motor and letting it down now.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I fish with both pretty regularly. I still prefer a tiller when sheepshead fishing but if you can’t drive a boat spot lock is the way to go.

I wish they had an option with both

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    It will continually adjust speed and heading to hold you. A huge asset in many fishing situations, deal breaker in shallow water.
    That’s when power poles come into play.

I appreciate the answers.

Thank you.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...