Thread: Dodge discontinues muscle cars

Default Dodge discontinues muscle cars

Dodge will discontinue its Challenger and Charger muscle cars next year

AUG 15 2022

Michael Wayland

DETROIT — Dodge will discontinue its gas-powered Challenger and Charger muscle cars at the end of next year, marking the end of an era for the brand as it starts to transition to electric vehicles.

Since being resurrected in the mid- to late 2000s, the Charger and Challenger — names made popular in the 1960s and 1970s — have been stalwarts for Dodge and popular vehicles for a new generation of gearheads.

The two-door Challenger particularly struck a cord of nostalgia with buyers thanks to its retro-inspired styling, while the four-door Charger has managed to achieve notable sales milestones despite consumers flocking from sedans to SUVs in recent years.

Dodge has also been able to juice profits from the vehicles, which have starting prices ranging from the low-$30,000s to nearly $90,000 for its infamous Hellcat models that produce more than 700 horsepower.

“Dodge, with the Challenger and Charger, they really found a way to really get to that muscle car root. These cars definitely expressed it ... and were able to hold onto that essence,” said Stephanie Brinley, principal analyst at S&P Global. “Having that clear DNA and clear expression of what they’re supposed to be is helping make the transition to electric.”

Dodge CEO Tim Kuniskis has alluded to the possibility that the Charger and Challenger names could be used for future electrified vehicles, including a forthcoming electric muscle car in 2024. He’s previously said he believes electrification — whether hybrid vehicles with less powerful engines or all-electric models — will save what he has called the new “Golden Age of muscle cars.”

For several years, Kuniskis has warned that the end was coming for the gas-powered muscle cars due to emissions regulations. Dodge parent company Stellantis, formerly Fiat Chrysler, ranks the worst among major manufacturers for U.S. corporate average fuel economy and carbon emissions.

As many brands switched to smaller and more fuel-efficient engines, Dodge rolled out Hellcat models and other high-performance vehicles. Such models helped generate attention for the brand but didn’t help the automaker’s carbon footprint, forcing it to buy carbon credits from automakers such as Tesla.

“The days of an iron block supercharged 6.2-liter V-8 are numbered,” Kuniskis previously told CNBC, referring to engines like those in the Hellcat. “But the performance that those vehicles generate is not numbered.”

Dodge is launching a litany of special vehicles and products to “celebrate” the end of the cars as they are today. Dodge’s plans include seven special-edition, or “buzz,” models; a commemorative “Last Call” under-hood plaque for all 2023 model-year vehicles; and a new dealer allocation process, among other measures.

The new dealer process will see Dodge allocate 2023 Charger and Challenger models to lots all at once, instead of making orders available throughout the year. Dodge will provide customers a guide to locate specific models at each dealership.

Kuniskis said the process is meant to assist customers in getting the specific vehicle they want.

“We wanted to make sure we were celebrating these cars properly,” Kuniskis said during a media briefing for an event this week in Pontiac, Michigan.

The Charger and Challenger are produced at Stellantis’ Brampton Assembly plant in Ontario, Canada. The company says it has produced more than 3 million Dodge vehicles at the plant, including 1.5 million Chargers and more than 726,000 Challengers sold in the U.S.

Stellantis earlier this year announced plans to invest $2.8 billion in the plant and another Canadian facility, but it has not disclosed what vehicles will be produced at the facilities.

“When we shut down Brampton it will be a 20-year run of Dodge muscle cars,” Kuniskis said. “We needed to do this right.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/15/dodg...box=1660604537

It's just a Dodge....
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

This is gonna change the recruiting/NIL game.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

You should get a free diesel generator with every EV purchase.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Just another marketing stunt to boost sales. The scarcity will drive up demand under perceived limited supply, those sales having higher profit margins.. They may take a year or two off production wise but will return a revamped model under the same names. Just my prediction.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post

LOL. So true.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

/thread

People still buy/drive dodge vehicles?

only if they want to be a little different and not conform to societal ideals....

or they are just assholes.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Or, in the case of most of the " new generation" of Dodge Muscle car owners over here - drive at super fast rates of speed in heavy traffic while being chased by the Popo. Or just normally speeding, weaving in and out of traffic with no regard for the safety of others, causing wrecks. It's a daily occurrence here.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

They Canceled all the cars we had on order for the HP.

Dodge muscle cars were back in the 60's to early 70's. Hemi Charger etc.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoTrooper View Post
    They Canceled all the cars we had on order for the HP.
    Better just get lectric trucks with a genset in the bed.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Damn how y'all gonna collect seatbelt money if you don't have a sports car

Wow......
    Last edited by lml; 08-16-2022 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Better just get lectric trucks with a genset in the bed.
    Easy now...

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Damn how y'all gonna collect seatbelt money if you don't have a sports car
    My explorer has a turbo….we will survive

PT, so what's the car of the future for SCHP?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft