Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AM vs PM dove hunts

I love hunting NC for the opener morning hunt. Afternoon hunts are great but a morning limit is top of the list in my book.

Used to be the opener started at 12 noon. Usually fewer birds flying in that mid day but it picked up as the afternoon went on. Then they started the sunrise shoot. We killed lots of dove in those days but we killed just as many on the afternoon hunts as we did in an all day hunt. Most won’t kill a limit no mater how long they shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    My dove club has a limit of 10 and everyone out two hours before sunset. 90% of the time everyone is done and out the field way before then
    Good management plan

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    My dove club has a limit of 10 and everyone out two hours before sunset. 90% of the time everyone is done and out the field way before then
    If the government allowed only 10, would you set that limit at 8?

its called freedom.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Yeah, I don't shoot over a dozen, mainly during the first seasons. My father limited me to a box growing up, so I wouldn't be some asshole look at me kid. Grown men shooting more then two boxes need to leave the field and gather fruits and berries

I carry two boxes in the field and try not to open the second...but I've had those days. I was taught that when you're in a hole, you have to shoot your way out.

You can always offer to sell the second box at an inflated price to anyone doing the walk of shame back to their truck for more shells.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Yeah, I don't shoot over a dozen, mainly during the first seasons. My father limited me to a box growing up, so I wouldn't be some asshole look at me kid. Grown men shooting more then two boxes need to leave the field and gather fruits and berries
    but that's just so mean. I got called out for it. I dont understand the hypocrisy. You want a good dove field? well dont let kids bang away.

You want decent kids? Teach them some restraint. Many call me an asshole but I'll stand firmly on this hill.

again, my kids turned out fine and I'd wager all three could outshoot most grown men on this thread.

dont get me started on how to have ducks....

Your field, your rules.

I don't really hit my groove good until the second box. 3rd box is where I do my best work though. After that, the dog is usually too tired from running around the field after everyone birds, so we just head home. I like to leave my spent hulls and boxes in a nice pile, I won't walk around and spread them out like some, that way the land owner will have an easier time picking them up later. Those 6 dove poppers are so worth all that work.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

It's a slow day at the Dentist's office.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I'm hunting NC opening morning as well. Going to have breakfast cooked afterwards with some bloody marys to boot. Should be a good time

Yep best to get in and get out. I use to use the 410 opening couple of weeks. It took longer to get limit. Range was just so limited. Now it’s the 12 or 12 and get out field and wait on others. Try to limit hunts to two hours or less. If you have birds should be done in30-60 minutes no problem. Most that don’t have a limit in two hours wouldn’t have one if they stayed all day. One box should be plenty to get the limit two for the slower days and couple people in field taking shots you shouldn’t. I’ve never understood shooting less than a limit if you can get it in the designated hunt time. I don’t see enough reward to the field by leaving a couple of birds for next hunt that probably won’t be back anyway. I prefer pm shoots early season. I’ve seen morning shoots turn a field off early season. Migratory birds I like the mornings better.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    but that's just so mean. I got called out for it. I dont understand the hypocrisy. You want a good dove field? well dont let kids bang away.

You want decent kids? Teach them some restraint. Many call me an asshole but I'll stand firmly on this hill.

again, my kids turned out fine and I'd wager all three could outshoot most grown men on this thread.

dont get me started on how to have ducks....
    congrats on parent of the year.

Just think, If everyone grew up with a silver pigeon in their hand and belle grove as a playground they might be as good as you.

my dad wasn’t a hunter or a shooter, if it wasn’t for nice old men letting me tag along and shooting i might not have ever learned. everyone starts somewhere.
    Last edited by raybird; 08-17-2022 at 11:30 AM.
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post

Just think, If everyone grew up with a silver pigeon in their hand and belle grove as a playground they might be as good as you.

my dad wasn’t a hunter or a shooter, if it wasn’t for nice old men letting me tag along and shooting i might not have ever learned. everyone starts somewhere.
    Im just here to waste shells so. Not pulling the trigger at high birds or birds until they are in the field. I just suck. A lot better than I use to be and learning how to become better. Got a thrower and shells. Either way I'm having a good time.
    Last edited by darealdeal; 08-17-2022 at 11:56 AM.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

A) you must think i'm somoene else. we shoot old shit. my kids shot old shit. granted, my son who shoots shoots nice shit but not in my dove field. my gun rarely pumps in a second shell and i'm ok with it.
    B) I am sort of being funny...with an ounce of truth. If mollie wants to come and blast three boxes in an hour, he can do so. But when its time to leave the field, its time to leave the field. kids, included. interestingly enough, it seems many agree with this.
    C) i am not talking about belle grove. I grew up hunting spread wheat under a power line in elgin. I have a field my own now (a lifelong dream my dad and I shared). its in its second year and i've yet to have a hunt to ruin kids lives....but maybe one day I will get that chance.
    D) i cant think of a D so just take a deep breath.

My dad slammed my pellet gun against log after an unsafe shot when I was little, I still like to hunt though.

Just bc you didn’t grow up doing it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t learn to do it right.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

I recall in my teens or early 20s stepping out of a creek on a near-freezing morning behind my buddy's uncle's house after shooting a pile of woodies, to seeing 15-20 bird flocks of doves file into a cut corn field. It was a great morning!

To me, it seems morning hunts have proven more productive in later seasons than early. I'd guess cause you're dealing with migratory birds instead of local ones.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I'm just jealous that most of you have dove fields. Getting on one in the upstate is damn near impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    My dad slammed my pellet gun against log after an unsafe shot when I was little, I still like to hunt though.

Just bc you didn’t grow up doing it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t learn to do it right.
    I watched mine get wrapped around a pecan tree after some holes were discovered in the packhouse windows.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton