Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AM vs PM dove hunts

Quote Originally Posted by BCR3 View Post
    I'm just jealous that most of you have dove fields. Getting on one in the upstate is damn near impossible.
    Finding a club isn't easy. Its like they're well-kept secrets.

I'm very fortunate to have a great group of friends. I too have yet to find a club near me to join or else I would, just to guarantee me somewhere that isn't open to the public to hunt every Saturday, Wednesday, or whatever day it is, that the season is in.

I did join a club couple years back but it's an hour and a half+ drive. I'm all about convenience these days, depending on the subject, but that weekly drive's a bit far for me since the past few years I've got a kid or 2 in tow. Not impossible by any means, just a smidge cumbersome.

Between invites and public fields I'm blessed just to have somewhere to go.

One good buddy has done real well with his business and since could afford to buy 80+ acre property and he's been doing his own field last few years. Some years it turned out well, others not so much but he's figuring it out. I need to learn from him cause my in-laws have some dirt that was actually a great field when they bought the land. Got access a tractor with tiller on-site, just need a planter and sprayer, unless I'm missing something else. I'm hoping I can get my ducks in a row and plant sunflowers there this spring.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-02-2022 at 01:18 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by BCR3 View Post
    I'm just jealous that most of you have dove fields. Getting on one in the upstate is damn near impossible.
    A dove is more sacred than a turkey in the upstate! A man can't buy an invite.

I’m looking forward to tomorrow

Leaving in a little bit to head on up there but shooting in Polkton NC in the morning, leaving that field and headed straight to Saluda for a shoot tomorrow afternoon
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Had to decline an invite last night. Wife has to have a mri Saturday and i need to take her for that as she will be sedated for the MRI. Could be serious so i need to support her. Only missed one opener since i was 18. Weren't many dove there anyway. Expensive for a sun tan and BBQ lunch

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Leaving in a little bit to head on up there but shooting in Polkton NC in the morning,
    What? A morning shoot on opening weekend of dove season?

The horror.

Seriously, sounds like a long day.

Last edited by willyworm; 09-02-2022 at 04:09 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Default AM vs PM dove hunts

I’m of the opinion evening hunts only in the early season and shut it down an hour or so before sunset to give birds time to feed.

Migratories, shoot ‘‘em when you got them

Theory seems to have work for 30 years with us and our field produces 1000-2500 birds every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by buckshot1224; 09-04-2022 at 08:50 AM.
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    Had to decline an invite last night. Wife has to have a mri Saturday and i need to take her for that as she will be sedated for the MRI. Could be serious so i need to support her. Only missed one opener since i was 18. Weren't many dove there anyway. Expensive for a sun tan and BBQ lunch
    Hope the MRI went well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot1224 View Post
    I’m of the opinion evening hunts only in the early season and shut it down an hour or so before sunset to give birds time to feed.

Migratories, shoot ‘‘em when you got them

Theory seems to have work for 30 years with us and our field produces 1000-2500 birds every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sounds like I've been kissing the wrong guy's ass.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 09-04-2022 at 12:31 PM.

SCDNR really has it figured out,

NC, Georgia, alabama and tennessee don’t have any doves because they shoot opening morning.

MORONs!
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Hope the MRI went well.

Yes, at hospital so it took for ever. I suggested I get up early and cook breakfast she said no won’t take long. Haha. We will hopefully know something this week.
    Last edited by centurian; 09-05-2022 at 07:23 PM.