Thread: Pilot who jumped

Default Pilot who jumped

It is now being reported that the pilot who jumped out of his plane, did so because he had a hard landing on a prior pass and had to call an emergency. I am assuming that when such an event takes place, they drug/alcohol check the pilots or something? Why else would he kill himself over an accident that wasn't so bad that the other pilot couldn't land the plane safely?

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) —
    A copilot who jumped to his death from a small airplane in North Carolina was upset over damaging the craft’s landing gear during a failed runaway approach, according to a preliminary report released Tuesday by the National Transportation Safety Board.

The plane’s pilot in command told federal investigators that his copilot “became visibly upset about the hard landing” in the minutes after they diverted to another airport for an emergency landing, the report stated.

The copilot opened his side cockpit window and “may have gotten sick,” the report stated. He then lowered the ramp in the back of the airplane, indicating that he felt like he was going to be sick and needed air.

The report said the copilot “got up from his seat, removed his headset, apologized and departed the airplane via the aft ramp door.”

The incident occurred July 29 about 30 miles (48 kilometers) south of Raleigh-Durham International Airport. Charles Hew Crooks, 23, did not have a parachute, and his body was found in a backyard in the town of Fuquay-Varina.

Tuesday’s report said that the two pilots had been flying skydiving runs out of Raeford West Airport earlier in the day. They were descending toward the airport for a third run when the hard landing occurred.

Crooks was flying the approach when the aircraft “dropped” and both pilots called for a go-around maneuver, the report stated. Before Crooks could initiate a climb, the right main landing gear impacted the runway.

The other pilot assumed the flight controls, the report stated. He directed Crooks to declare an emergency and request a diversion to Raleigh-Durham International Airport for landing.

The pilot told investigators that Crooks became upset “about 20 minutes into the diversion to RDU, after conducting approach and emergency briefings,” the report stated.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/ntsb-c...olina/40921252

Can you imagine coming home to find the jumper? Geez. At least he didnt hit a roof.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I'd bet about halfway down he regretted that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

This story doesnt make sense to me.

If 2022 Amerikans weren’t so soft, I would agree…

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC_ducks View Post
    I can usually get a feel for what makes folks do what folks do...but I agree. I'd be checking the other pilot for signs of a struggle.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC_ducks View Post
    agree, maybe he got pulled out by wind when opening door or was tossed out

because he was responsible for the damaged landing gear, young fella probably thought at the end of the day this might be the end of his flying career at such a young age....couple it with some potentially untreated mental issues and you have a very sad ending

Quote Originally Posted by cleancutredneck View Post
    because he was responsible for the damaged landing gear, young fella probably thought at the end of the day this might be the end of his flying career at such a young age....couple it with some potentially untreated mental issues and you have a very sad ending
    This.

We err when we try to assign rational thought processes to irrational people.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen