Thread: Family Glacier Trip

Default Family Glacier Trip

Took the fam to glacier national park this past week. The kids went to Yellowstone with us two years ago and I have been a half dozen times or so to Yellowstone so we decided to change it up. We had never been to glacier, but I feel like it may be the best family park I have been to with incredible scenery and plenty of willing fish. My 10 yo son started out with a collapsible Zebco, but when he saw his mom and dad catching lots of cutthroats, he finally wanted to fly fish.

I had the realization that kids need to see the need to fly fish instead of pushing it on them. We had multiple 50 fish days fishing big rivers and tiny creeks. Yellowstone has bigger fish, but I have a special place in my heart for 8-12 inch trout with a couple 16-18 inch fish mixed in. Both my son and 8 yo daughter were catching trout on the fly unassisted. It was an incredible place for them to get bit by the bug.

No guides. Just went to a fly shop, bought plenty of whatever they said they were hitting and bought some souvenirs from them.

Glacier might be a better park to introduce kids to fly fishing than Yellowstone. I know that sounds heretical, but that’s my thought. Here are a couple pics

6ADFFB8C-1610-479D-A2B2-DADDD11E8025.jpg9792BF07-D684-4AD4-9E73-632EB2B3E00E.jpg77C15147-A28F-4A28-A062-E9357F7AEA06.jpg598BF127-F069-4A05-903A-33705108F2E0.jpg

That's good stuff right there.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Looks like a good investment of time! Have to keep Glacier in mind. Yellowstone is great, but slam full of idjits.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Heck yeah. Bucket list trip for me. Glad y’all had a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    Looks like a good investment of time! Have to keep Glacier in mind. Yellowstone is great, but slam full of idjits.
    There are plenty of idjits in Glacier too. Not as many fishing though. Most folks seem to fish the lakes. We caught a few in the lakes. We probably fished at most 2.5 hours each day. Usually on the way to a hike or on the way back. And the hikes are so pretty I almost forgot that I wanted to fish

Looks like a fun trip. I just checked out your blog and def enjoyed it

Looks like everyone enjoyed it! Thanks for taking the time to teach them

As someone who loves to fly fish and just had his first son 6 weeks ago, trips like this is now what I dream about and look forward to more than anything.

Looks like an outstanding trip. Well done.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by hstokes14 View Post
    As someone who loves to fly fish and just had his first son 6 weeks ago, trips like this is now what I dream about and look forward to more than anything.
    I’ll be honest, I wish my ten year old started fly fishing earlier. But if I would have pushed it, he wouldn’t have wanted to do it. This worked out perfectly for us and if you are patient, it will work out for you. It could happen anywhere, a farm pond, a small creek, or a river. Just getting the kids outside to experience it is the most important thing.

My eight year old daughter on the other hand, she just wants to be like her momma, and her momma is the most eat up with fly fishing out of all of us. Let’s just say there is one member of our marriage who will have taken 2 international trips to go fly fishing in 2022 and 2023 and it isn’t me.

I’m not mad, I’d rather spend that money for her to do that than interior designers, shoes, and purses