Thread: VihtaVouri public service announcement

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Default VihtaVouri public service announcement

FYI, I have been hand loading since the 1970s. Until recently, powder stability has never been much of an issue that I have seen as long as it was stored at room temperature/humidity in its original container. In the past several years I have seen several examples of serious corrosion issues with ammo that has been loaded for sometime. The first experience was a couple of years ago when my buddy missed a deer that he thought he should have killed. He was using ammo that I loaded for him about 3 years prior. The primers were badly corroded on the outside and inside as was the inside the case and the base of the bullet. The powder was also caked inside. I asked if it had gotten wet or it was stored outside. He was adamant that it stayed inside the house with all his gear. I told a friend of mine who works for a local rifle builder doing load development. He said that they quit using VV powder because if it was left in the hopper overnight it would cake up. The powder was N-135. Several years ago I saw the same thing with some 40 cal. pistol ammo loaded with N-350, however loads loaded at the same time with Unique looked brand new.

Fast forward to tonight. I was moving some stuff around and came across some ammo that I had loaded in the late 90s. I saw a little corrosion around the case mouth. I pulled a few bullets and low and behold I found the same thing except with this caliber the powder was N-160. I kept thinking about the recall on 4007 powder because it was doing the same thing AND sometimes self igniting. I decided to dump all of my VV powder and fertilize my yard. After I dumped 2 pounds of N-133, I pulled some bullets loaded with it. As luck would have it, nothing was wrong with those loads…should have checked first. Stupid is as stupid does……

Apparently VhitaVouri has some constituents in some of their powders that collects moisture and/or causes corrosion over time. It might worthy of note that my loads with the N-160 were over 20 years old but the ones with N-135 were about 3 years old. The cases with the N-135 were much worse. Just for grins I pulled down some other loads from the same time period with the following powders: Rl-19, IMR 4064, and H-380. They were all perfect and looked like they were loaded yesterday.

After the N-350/N-135 debacle I called Vhitavouri to let them know what I experienced. They were completely uninterested and blamed it on storage and loading practices. I am pretty anal about case prep and precision loading. Note: I didn’t write all of this to slam Vhitavouri. They make pretty good stuff. Although it did tick me off that they didn’t take this situation seriously. I just wanted to put the info. out there in case some of you have loaded these powders and the ammo has been sitting for a couple of years. Might be a good idea to pull a few bullets just to spot check.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 08-14-2022 at 11:25 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Thanks for the info. I will remove them from future powder purchase consideration....
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Thanks for the heads up. I wish you had posted this before I impulse purchased 8 lbs of N140. ��

I had heard about this issue impacting VV powder from few years back but I thought it was limited in scope and now resolved which may just be an assumption on mynpart. I reckon I’ll keep it stored tight and won’t load more than I need short term.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Interesting, years ago when I was loading 30.06, I used VV N-150(maybe N-160), and the rounds would be completely corroded within a year or so. Also, I had a few that wouldn't fire. I chalked it up to me screwing something up and I've pretty much quit loading for rifle anyway. It sounds exactly like the issues you had.

Now, for N-320, I have used it for multiple thousands of rounds with no issues at all.... and I hope I don't have any issues as I have plenty of it to go through still.
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Thankx for the post.
    good to see 320 is ok
    anyone have issues w/ 530?

A7D07A4F-03BF-4ADB-A61A-D6F093EB8683.jpegA friend told me that he saw a posting a while back that Vhitavouri quietly changed some of their ingredients in 2016 to reduce corrosion potential. He said that they never admitted to a problem, so it was advertised as an “improvement “. I have not seen that but he was familiar with the issues.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 08-15-2022 at 05:06 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    A7D07A4F-03BF-4ADB-A61A-D6F093EB8683.jpegA friend told me that he saw a posting a while back that Vhitavouri quietly changed some of their ingredients in 2016 to reduce corrosion potential. He said that they never admitted to a problem, so it was advertised as an “improvement “. I have not seen that but he was familiar with the issues.

I take it those rounds were stored vertically?
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Last few years they were horizontal. Load density was nearly 100%. Didn’t know how to rotate the photo. ��

Thank you for posting this. You saved me some money and future disappointment. I was about to try some of their rifle powder for the first time. I will stick to using, IMR, Hodgdon, and Alliant for now.

8A8E3A05-168D-4966-BE7C-B4202711E3FD.jpegThis is a pulled 7mm RM bullet (Ballistic tip) that was loaded with Reloder-19 about 20 years ago. Note it looks brand new. No problem with corrosion whatsoever.

I've loaded VV for decades with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    I've loaded VV for decades with no issues.
    That’s great. I am sure that not all Vhitavouri powder causes corrosion. If you load it and shoot it within a year or two you probably wouldn’t see any issues. Most of the corrosion stays on the inside the case anyway, so it would go unseen in many instances. I had some old N-133 that didn’t cause corrosion.

If you have some rounds that have been loaded for several years, pull a bullet just to make sure all is well.