Thread: Nice work Brandon.

Default Nice work Brandon.

The second largest aluminum mill in the United States has idled operations, laying off about 600 American workers, due to “untenable” electricity and energy prices.

In June, Century Aluminum Co. executives announced that they would idle the Hawesville, Kentucky aluminum mill for about 9 to 12 months as a result of skyrocketing prices to merely keep the plant’s lights on.

Similarly, executives with two steel mills are suspending operations because they cannot afford the costs of energy to keep the plants open. This comes after executives warned federal regulators about debilitating energy prices months ago.

Bloomberg reported:

On June 22, 600 workers at the second-largest aluminum mill in America, accounting for 20% of US supply, learned they were losing their jobs because the plant can’t afford an electricity tab that’s tripled in a matter of months. Century Aluminum Co. says it’ll idle the Hawesville, Kentucky, mill for as long as a year, taking out the biggest of its three US sites. A shutdown like this can take a month as workers carefully swirl the molten metal into storage so it doesn’t solidify in pipes and vessels and turn the entire facility into a useless brick. Restarting takes another six to nine months. For this reason, owners don’t halt operations unless they’ve exhausted all other options. [Emphasis added]

At least two steel mills have begun suspending some operations to cut energy costs, according to one industry executive, who asked not to be identified because the information isn’t public. In May, a group of factories across the US Midwest warned federal energy regulators that some were on the verge of closing for the summer or longer because of what they described as “unjust and unreasonable” electricity costs. They asked to be wholly absolved of some power fees—a request that, if granted, would be unprecedented. [Emphasis added]

During an earnings call this week, Century Aluminum Co. CEO Jesse Gary said the temporary closure of Hawesville — which resulted in the layoffs of about 600 American workers — was a result of “untenable” energy prices.

“Elevated energy prices also resulted in an unfortunate decision to curtail our Hawesville operations,” Gary said:

While this decision was difficult, it was necessary given relatively high energy consumption of the Hawesville smelting technology and lack of value-added casthouses, which made the financial economics of continuing to run the smelter untenable at these energy prices. The curtailment was conducted in a manner that will allow for the restart of the smelter, if and when market conditions return to more normal accommodating levels. [Emphasis added]

Similarly, the Alcoa Corporation announced in July “that it will begin the process to immediately curtail one of three operating smelting lines” at its Warrick, Indiana, plant.

This comes after Alcoa shuttered the Warrick Operations smelter in 2016 under the Obama administration as a result of cheap, subsidized Chinese aluminum flooding into the U.S. market. Those operations later reopened in 2017 under the Trump administration.

The energy industry is also headed for major layoffs and plant closures.

At least six coal-fired plants in Wisconsin, Indiana, Nebraska, and New Mexico are expected to shut down operations by 2026. Some are planning to close as early as 2024, leaving thousands of Americans laid off and out of work.

Radical environmentalists at the Sierra Group have long celebrated the closure of coal-fired plants and Americans losing their jobs. According to the organization, almost 360 coal-fired plants have shuttered or are in the process of shuttering in the last few years, while just about 170 remain operating.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...aluminum-mill/

Terrible news. More imported aluminum headed our way.

There’s ZERO inflation.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Forget spanish. We better start learning mandarin and how to eat rice with chopsticks.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    There’s ZERO inflation.
    Exactly, lets go brandon!
    "run and gun guide service"

The transition is worth it.

They are all about them some transitioning.

FJB... and his Puppet Master, Barry O'. This is intentional, no matter how one looks at it.

Too bad the FBI and DOJ are nothing but Swamp Gestapo agencies, or they'd have plenty of work to do that's in their job descriptions. The same with Congress.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 08-11-2022 at 12:11 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    FJB... and his Puppet Master, Barry O'.
    I always though Nobama had his own puppet master behind the scenes. Nothing in his history suggests he is smart enough to pull off any of his "accomplishments" on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I always though Nobama had his own puppet master behind the scenes. Nothing in his history suggests he is smart enough to pull off any of his "accomplishments" on his own.
    Totally agree. He's just the local whore. The top 'mama' is most likely Klaus Schwab.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

One could only hope that these were merely some kind of 4D chess moves (many companies coming together) to help tank the economy at least until November to solidify the Democrats demise in the elections. It would be painful for the companies and especially their employees. But, I’m sure it’s not. Better buy them Jon boats now.

I priced adding a lean to on my 6yo metal building. The roof, 3 posts and 3 rafter beams were 60% of existing buildings cost including lean to, roll up door, windows and gutter system. Metal prices are crazy
    cut\'em

I was using metal studs to build some interior walls in mine. When I started they were $1.15 a foot (18 ga.), now they’re $3.25 a foot. Of course I quit with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

We in trouble and you all know it but
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"