Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Middle Coastal Guides?

Default Middle Coastal Guides?

Have been to Southern taking an 11’ then in 2016 passed an 11’ in Marion. Missed a few years applying with another Relo. Started again and initially received a rejection letter. When I landed from CA this week I saw an email from SCDNR they allocated a few more and I drew. Kind of behind now finding a guide. Had gone with Ron Russell the last 2 times. I checked in on his results each year. He passed fairly recently sadly. We always talked about how great the hunt would be if I could draw Middle Coastal but not to be. I’m now many states away again so tough to go DIY. In Southern maybe because I know that area somewhat and my first trip had a harpoon bounce off a giant I’d like redemption on.

Any recommendations on a service would be much appreciated. Guessing I need to optimize this tag so planning a week if needed.

More than happy to put anyone on Steelhead if you ever get north to the frigid climates or creek trout measured in lbs not inches. Lots of bears too. Pics of 600lbs+ around my place including under my stand when I tagged a small one the day before, lol. Either remoteness, rhododendron buds/forage, or the estates being unhuntable but they get giant here. Saw one 780 and thought state record. Only 3rd biggest that one week season. It’s steep and thick. Plus DNR here loves the ease of dropping nuisance bears here. Have cam pics of 7 in 1 day from stand. Most have ear tags.

Jordan Patrick (803) 664-0291

Thx will try him tomorrow. Spoke to Brad Taylor today and he’s checking with potentials. Seems many aren’t guiding anymore or targeting bigger gators. Fully understand, I know there are multiple reasons why but tag soup isn’t their fault in my mind. It’s hunting or something comparable to it. There was sentiment my last trip about the decline in big gators. I understand that concern. A few told me smaller gator pops climbing without as many big gators increasing problems. I’m not a Biologist and trust their observations are sound. Tough after wanting this region so long to sit out though. I happily paid and tipped in ‘16. Guide protested tip but he didn’t tell me to pass on an 11’ in Marion. He let me decide and encouraged taking it. Ya’ll might see me on the news in a 10’ Jon boat half ate before it’s over lol.

Can I ask why do you need a guide? Do you have a John boat and a q beam?

Did you tell the “guides” that you were from California before you asked them if they were available?

Why would you pass on an 11’ gator? I wouldn’t have passed on an 11 ft gator the first yr tags were given out, that’s like passing a 130” deer ,, ain’t gonna happen in sc
    Last edited by Stumpknocker; 08-15-2022 at 09:07 PM.
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Did you tell the “guides” that you were from California before you asked them if they were available?
    No but then I’m not sure my French Canadian tan could pass as Californian, maybe though.

Might could call some of the ole boys that worked for me there. They always thought it odd I paid for tags so maybe not the best group to hunt with.
    Last edited by Gremcat; 08-15-2022 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    Can I ask why do you need a guide? Do you have a John boat and a q beam?
    No jon boat and I’m no longer living in the low country so it’s a trek. About 14 hours last time. It took 3x as long though when my 7.3 hit a retread, blew a tire, no tow service on 95 understood “Just bring cutters”. Ended up in rental then USAA lost my truck so I drove rental back home then returned it a week later. Truck was on side of 95 the whole time. Drove back through ‘16 hurricane floods, good stuff.
    Last edited by Gremcat; 08-15-2022 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    Why would you pass on an 11’ gator? I wouldn’t have passed on an 11 ft gator the first yr tags were given out, that’s like passing a 130” deer ,, ain’t gonna happen in sc
    Just wasn’t what I was looking for. Guide had become a friend and got paid. I got to enjoy a few days cruising the lake and backwaters glassing for gators. Wasn’t a bad way to spend a weekend.

Have an 11’ mounted by Mary Pernell already from Southern as well.
    Last edited by Gremcat; 08-15-2022 at 11:56 PM.

Beyond the trek my schedule isn’t great right now. I’ll be in Augusta some this week. Wisconsin next week 3 days. Houston some end of Aug then back half of that trip I’m in SC up in Columbia. Fly in the day before my son turns 11. Depending on how things go this week that’ll be mild. Might be in 22 states the next 22 weeks not counting SC Gator trip, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Probably take a week for archery bear again. Lots of bears here and they are a nuisance. Last few opening mornings I did well on them. No baiting but it’s not a problem when they are this thick.
    Last edited by Gremcat; 08-15-2022 at 11:59 PM.

Think I’m good, waiting to confirm dates, thx forum!

Making a NA tour of sites solo and one is in BC. Will be trying to land some bull trout and huge Brookies/char. Told my wife from pics if I wasn’t wanting to be in SC I’d stay in BC Canada. I’ll be sure and share pics. Add in golden trout in Sierras and our steelhead run/huge Bear archery season shaping up to be an interesting fall.

Bye Felicia

Guess I need to learn the board humor. Or you meant to post in a different thread.

He’s an idiot, ignore him.

The first minute or so of this vid-yurr is what I imagine all guides (hunting or fishing) deal with on a daily basis..

At least I'm housebroken.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    He’s an idiot, ignore him.
    GFY

Ooooooo…….

Dang Tater got straight up acronymed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I think that means "God Forgives You".
    At least I'm housebroken.