Thread: Old Style Cabinet Doors

Default Old Style Cabinet Doors

Anyone ever redone a kitchen with rabbeted cabinet doors? We want to do concealed soft close hinges but I'm not seeing any options besides this one:

https://www.rockler.com/salice-soft-...ges-face-frame

I wasn't planning on spending over $1000 on hinges when we decided to keep the old doors. I'm hoping someone has got experience and can tell me if theres another style of concealed soft close hinge that will work. From what I can tell, anything full overlay, 1/2" overlay, inset, etc won't work.

Thanks in advance for your help

We’ve got the rabbeted cabinet doors and inset, soft-close hinges, and I need to replace some worn out ones. The almost identical ones I found only come in nickel (ours are all antique brass), and they are something like $13.50 R’s. If Ican find the link I’ll post it.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

If you don’t have the jig to drill the holes in the doors, that a must. Don’t fuck around with any diy options or super cheap ones. Pay $40-50 and get a good one

You will be far better off just replacing the doors and you can get slow close 1/2” overlay adjustable hinges. Most cabinet shops will run shaker doors, mortise the hinge and paint them for you. You can pick them up and hang them yourself.

Trust Me------------------ Sir Charles know his stuff!!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Woodie, please let me know if you find the link.
    Sleepy, I’ve got the kreg jig and I’ve used it on some doors in the past so I’m pretty comfortable with it.
    Charlie, I’d love to get new doors but just don’t want to spend the money. We’re remodeling our whole house that hasn’t been touched since 1983 and are trying to do everything possible ourselves to save money. I do construction and have a couple custom cabinetry subs but with the price of materials even a buddy discount would cost a ton of money

All that being said, the rabbet is 3/8” so I’ve been thinking if I could glue up some 3/8 ply to the back of our doors and get some full inset hinges that might work? But I’ll admit that that seems to be going too far and probably isn’t worth it