Thread: Surface Drive Question

Default Surface Drive Question

Looking at multiple used options. Curious what folks think of prodrives. Confident I want reverse but aside from that don’t have much experience. Like the idea of full power reverse if I need it. Hunting fairly diverse habitat.

TIA for the advice

It comes down to if you want Full power reverse or instant reverse.Do you hunt deep soupy mud or hard bottom?
    Last edited by Coot_Commander; 08-07-2022 at 09:46 PM.

Likely will not be much deep soupy mud. Decent amount of hard bottom for the time being with the occasional silt bottom off the rivers.

Then gator tail or mud buddy will be your best bet

mud motors suck! y'all scare all the ducks away!

sorry, just wanted to start that again, should last 7 pages now.
    Go Tigers!!!

^ he ain’t lyin….

But prodrive is the best in the business.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I've had a Pro-Drive & (2) Mud Buddys. Instant reverse is the business. It's not as strong as a traditional outboard reverse but it serves its purpose. I never found myself in a situation with the PD that I thought "I sure am glad I have FPR". I had a Gen 3 PD and it was slow, 25mph. The newer gen 4 is a fair amount faster. If you do end up with a surface drive, just have some respect with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    I dunno, but being a good duck hunter and shooting woodducks have nothing in common.

You know any real good dove hunters?

Fun as hell, but.....

If they will introduce their instant reverse along with FPR like they've been talking about I'd switch back in a heartbeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    I dunno, but being a good duck hunter and shooting woodducks have nothing in common.

You know any real good dove hunters?

Fun as hell, but.....

I have owned two Mudbuddies and two ProDrives. The ProDive is the closest to a traditional outboard as far as operation and turning radius etc. I found the struggles with the belts in the Mudbuddies to be exhausting. The PD has a direct gear drive. The BEST advice and give to all perspective surface drive buyers is you absolutely need to buy a boat purposely build for surface drives. Otherwise, you will never get the performance or function it was built for; I know I have done it. Oh, and be prepared for the hate. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Prodrives are great for straight mud and thick vegetation. They do not get along well with swamp stumps and logs. Therefore, I have a Gatortail.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.