Thread: PSA leave that bush hog in the shed

Default PSA leave that bush hog in the shed

If you care anything about turkeys or quail leave those road beds and marginal edges uncut for another month or two.

I need to cut the field around my house but every time i decide to i jump some deer bedded or hear a whistle. Ill wait til end of sept
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Counted 17 poults at one point this summer. Gonna check camera here soon and see what’s left….
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I was gonna mow a buckwheat plot that I lost to drought, deer and weeds today. Now you got me second guessing. I do have turkey on camera at the end that is clover.

Most of the Turkey poults I’ve seen on my place are with the hen and are large enough to run and fly.

The quail are nesting or are moving around with their very small broods. They just hunker down and don’t move when you unknowingly pull up on them.

I’ve parked bush hog for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poults start flying at 2 weeks of age.

Too dry here. Can’t bush hog if it ain’t grown any

I just started checker boarding the hunt areas. Brood Patches, road sides, and other open areas will be left until October or when the ragweed goes to seed whichever comes first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Went to a quail management class at the Webb center 8,- 10 years ago..... recreational bushhoging was deemed more detrimental than predators

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Poults start flying at 2 weeks of age.
    it’s ain’t got nothing to do with that.
    Windows Down!

Didn’t say it did. The man said he saw poults running and flying recently. That’s not an uncommon phenomena and that, my friend, is what my comment says.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I need to cut the field around my house but every time i decide to i jump some deer bedded or hear a whistle. Ill wait til end of sept
    I mean, whatever you got to tell yourself to helps you sleep better at night
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold