Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Upstate dog flu

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Wateree, South Carolina
    Posts
    44,970

    Default Upstate dog flu

    Greenville, Spartanburg pet facilities warn about dangerous uptick in dog flu cases

    WYFF.COM
    Aug 4, 2022

    GREENVILLE, S.C.
    Veterinarians, pet groomers and pet boarding facilities in our area are warning about an uptick in canine flu cases.

    We spoke to the owner of the Roper Mountain Animal Hospital on Monday, who said it's unusual to see cases of canine flu, and it can be very dangerous for some dogs.

    This content is imported from Facebook. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

    The risk is greater for dogs younger than 1-year-old and those who are immunocompromised.

    Dr. Heather Gleaton also said the canine flu is very contagious and encourages pet owners to vaccinate their dogs to prevent severe illness.

    "It's the difference between having minor signs and getting over it without treatment or developing pneumonia and having to be hospitalized," Gleaton said.

    Top Dog on Roper Mountain Road, which offers boarding, day care, grooming and training, sent an email to clients.

    It says, "Due to reports of CANINE INFLUENZA IN SPARTANBURG AND GREENVILLE, we are starting to require the flu shot for dogs boarding and grooming with us. We do not expect people to be able to get it last minute, but it will join the Rabies, Distemper, and Bordetella vaccines as a required vaccine for boarding with us."

    Noble Dog Hotel also sent a message to clients about the recent outbreak and encouraged pet parents to get their dogs vaccinated.

    Woodpoint Bed and Biscuit in Spartanburg closed down its PlayCare on July 25 and will remain closed until Aug. 8 after confirming a case of canine flu.

    The business also canceled all boarding reservations until Aug. 1.

    Woodpoint said on Facebook it closed to "disinfect & bleach above and beyond our daily protocol."

    "Additionally, we have hired a professional company that will apply an electrostatic mist covering the entire facility," the post said.

    Woodpoint said it will reopen on Aug. 8.

    This content is imported from Facebook. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

    The business is also now requiring all PlayCare participants to be fully vaccinated.

    The symptoms to look for in your dog include cough, fever, tiredness, eye or nasal drainage and loss of appetite.

    https://www.wyff4.com/article/greenv...break/40806349

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg
    Posts
    46,325

    Default

    It's been pretty crazy.

    Got 'em lined up for vaccines all day. Reminds me of the initial run of parvo vaccines in the 80's.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    'Down in the Holler', SC
    Posts
    13,407

    Default

    In my 50+ years of owning dogs, this is the first I’ve ever heard of it. How/when did out come about?

    If my dog doesn’t come into contact with other dogs, other than wizzin’ on their marks or piles along the street out front, is there any need to be concerned?

    When did they come up with a Canine Flu vaccine? Or is this a repurposing of another one?

    Please don’t say Wuhan or Pfizer…

    Thanks for any info.
    .
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    .
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

    "If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg
    Posts
    46,325

    Default

    It's been around for a while but about as rare as an honest politician. Kennel cough is an umbrella term that describes any type of upper respiratory infection that they may contract from a boarding facility. Think kids and the first week of school. the kennel cough vaccine covers Bordetella and and parainfluenza (not canine influenza).

    The canine influenza vaccine has been around for a while but as said earlier, canine influenza is rare and never has been part of a core vaccine protocol, much like vaccines for lymes, RMSF etc. But with this outbreak everybody is running scared and all boarding facilities around here are going to start requiring it so we are now having to carry it for our clients. Got 100 doses in earlier this week and we're about out.

    Vaccinating your dog the day you board does nothing. They need one vaccine, a booster in 3 weeks and then wait another 3 weeks before they are considered protected. However without titers it's blind hope and faith.

    My thoughts?

    We will vaccinate a lot of dogs and dogs will still get kennel cough and if it's around, canine influenza. But never let a good crisis go to waste I reckon.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Blythewood
    Posts
    16,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    It's been around for a while but about as rare as an honest politician. Kennel cough is an umbrella term that describes any type of upper respiratory infection that they may contract from a boarding facility. Think kids and the first week of school. the kennel cough vaccine covers Bordetella and and parainfluenza (not canine influenza).

    The canine influenza vaccine has been around for a while but as said earlier, canine influenza is rare and never has been part of a core vaccine protocol, much like vaccines for lymes, RMSF etc. But with this outbreak everybody is running scared and all boarding facilities around here are going to start requiring it so we are now having to carry it for our clients. Got 100 doses in earlier this week and we're about out.

    Vaccinating your dog the day you board does nothing. They need one vaccine, a booster in 3 weeks and then wait another 3 weeks before they are considered protected. However without titers it's blind hope and faith.

    My thoughts?

    We will vaccinate a lot of dogs and dogs will still get kennel cough and if it's around, canine influenza. But never let a good crisis go to waste I reckon.
    So, people are stupid and get riled up about everything they see in the news and/or hear from their neighbors?

    Got it.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

    Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg
    Posts
    46,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    So, people are stupid and get riled up about everything they see in the news and/or hear from their neighbors?

    Got it.
    Sort of. It's a very real virus and when it hits it hits like a mofo.

    I've seen roughly 30+ cases over the last two weeks and if caught early it's a non factor. But if it gets sat on it can and will get ugly and expensive. So please don't take my post as saying it's not a big deal. It is. Or certainly can be. However it is not anything new and has been around for a while. The last big outbreak was about 4-5 years ago in Greenville. This one will pass and it will pop up again I'm sure in another couple of years.

    We still won't have it in our core vaccine protocol but it will be an add on much like Lepto and bordetella are now.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    'Down in the Holler', SC
    Posts
    13,407

    Default

    Thanks for the great info. So, basically, if I read it right, one needs to plan at least six weeks out, plus time for titers to verify immunization.

    Is it only transferable through direct (nasal or cough spray) contact, etc? Or of an infected dog coughs on a patch of grass, how long does that virus live before another dog wouldn’t get infected of he sniffed or ate the grass? Hopefully those are viable examples.
    .
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    .
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

    "If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

    We still won't have it in our core vaccine protocol but it will be an add on much like Lepto and bordetella are now.
    Are you seeing much lepto? I had never heard of it until I lost a dog to it earlier this year.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg
    Posts
    46,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Thanks for the great info. So, basically, if I read it right, one needs to plan at least six weeks out, plus time for titers to verify immunization.

    Is it only transferable through direct (nasal or cough spray) contact, etc? Or of an infected dog coughs on a patch of grass, how long does that virus live before another dog wouldn’t get infected of he sniffed or ate the grass? Hopefully those are viable examples.
    Close contact. Not very virulent outside the host like most UR viruses. I wasn't recommending titers. Only saying that is the only way to know if your pet mounted the appropriate response to the vaccine. Titers are expensive and take a long time.

    Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    Are you seeing much lepto? I had never heard of it until I lost a dog to it earlier this year.
    I see maybe a case or two every year. Young dog with kidney issues is lepto till it ain't. Treatable if caught early enough. I won't say we see a lot but it's common enough we offer it as an add on if lifestyle dictates a need. It's transferred through urine so all these breweries, restaurants and other places people feel like they can't be without their dogs are ripe for transmission.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    united states of america
    Posts
    20,461

    Default

    How much does one of these vaccines sell for?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    What's your markup Glenn? I bet you are turning money hand over fist!
    DILLIGAF

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg
    Posts
    46,325

    Default

    We work on a barter system.

    Two dove shoots or 3 packs of bacon.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    'Down in the Holler', SC
    Posts
    13,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Close contact. Not very virulent outside the host like most UR viruses. I wasn't recommending titers. Only saying that is the only way to know if your pet mounted the appropriate response to the vaccine. Titers are expensive and take a long time.
    I figured that was the case on both counts.

    We've only used titers occasionally over the years, normally to verify the longevity of the normal rabies vaccine, although my first BLF was so 'Blue Blood' (her grand-dam was the highest scoring Field Trial bitch in history through the late '70's) that we had to use titers for almost everything since her immune system was virtually non-existent with vaccines.

    Thanks.
    .
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    .
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

    "If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

  14. #14
    jwilliams's Avatar
    jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sumter
    Posts
    18,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    We work on a barter system.

    Two dove shoots or 3 packs of bacon.
    Is this regular bacon or fouroakfarms bacon? Axin for frien
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg
    Posts
    46,325

    Default

    You bring the bacon. Efficacy and viability of the vaccine are proportional to the quality.

  16. #16
    jwilliams's Avatar
    jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sumter
    Posts
    18,363

    Default

    mkay. Just for a PSA I did find 4 lbs of Wrights Applewood bacon at Sam's for $22.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,035

    Default

    I’ve heard that flea and tick meds are trading as a hot commodity
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    2,064

    Default

    Dem flu vax aint cheap


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •