Thread: Sweet potatoes in grow bags

Default Sweet potatoes in grow bags

Anyone ever done this? I planted some sweet potatoes in my garden and those things are growing like dang kudzu vines. I've done this a few Summers now and always had good results.

But I didn't have enough room to plant all the slips so I got some grow bags to put the rest in. Without a doubt they've got more room per slip in those grow bags than they do in the ground but they aren't growing well.

We'll be at 90 days Aug 14th and I just dug into 2 of the grow bags last night to check. They're growing really small tubers. Like an inch in diameter and 3 or 4 inches long. Vines haven't grown big at all.

Such a bummer since I am not a man of much patience so I already hate waiting 90-100 days for them. Any things to know for trying this next time that I might have done wrong? Can I just keep letting them grow well past the 100 day mark and maybe get a couple larger ones? It'll be plenty warm enough for at least another 2 months.

Can’t do it. They’ll get the alpha toxin.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    Can’t do it. They’ll get the alpha toxin.
    What's alpha toxin? Is that like toxic masculinity from being an alpha male? I do have a lot of that.

Farmers market, 2 for a buck

We planted four bags with limited success. They grow much better in the ground

They would be better grown on Uranus since that is how they taste...

Do ducks really like sweat potato’s? I never could tell when I put them out if the ducks where coming to the corn or the sweet potatoes.

Not as far as I could ever tell...

I cut a 55 gallon drum in half and used it to make two planters. Planted 3 or 4 slips in each one. They did well, ended up with probably a 5 gallon bucket or more of sweet potatoes in various sizes and shapes. The vines even traveled to my other raised bed and I found several sweet potatoes in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    Do ducks really like sweat potato’s? I never could tell when I put them out if the ducks where coming to the corn or the sweet potatoes.
    Nope,i had a valley that got flooded one year and wanted to see for myself.so i set out a trail cam and spread corn and sweet taters out in different piles.woodies stayed to the corn and the coons and deer were the only ones that ate the taters.