Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lease Rates

Default Lease Rates

What is the current going rate for leasing farm/tillable land as well as going rate for leasing hunting land? Price per acre? I know it is different for a lot of areas but curious about average for South Carolina for the two?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I think I am at 13/acre for hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$13.50 but small tract, 150 acres. 15 minutes from home with deer/ducks/Turkey. Couldn’t justify it with as little as I get to hunt these days if it didn’t provide year round opportunities.

I'd be pretty grateful to have anything decent these days. At least in my area.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

We are charging approximately $15/acre for SC hunt leases in the Pee Dee region. All primarily loblolly timberland.
    Last edited by scquackaddict; 08-04-2022 at 09:13 AM.
    More Ducks, Less People

$8/ac
    Last edited by Stumpknocker; 08-04-2022 at 09:18 AM.
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

I remember back when I had FB, people getting roasted in the SC Deer Hunters group for mentioning what county they just shot a big buck in because all that does is increase lease prices in the area.

$15/acre to hunt in a club full of people is insane. Even if you got a 100 acre lease to yourself that's $1500 for a season??

I've seen plenty of clubs advertised for about that $1500 price tag that after doing the math of hunters/acres it comes out to about 30-40 acres per hunter. Absolutely crazy.

I'm getting about $40/acre for the row crop fields I lease. That's after an unsolicited raise my farmer gave me. I think he bases what he is willing to pay on how much USDA gives him for keeping the land under tillage. I don't really care as much about the rent money as I do about having someone plant the field and keep it under tillage for USDA records. Renting it keeps me from having to mow or plant it every year. He rotates cotton, corn and peanuts and I like hunting over any of those crops.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    I remember back when I had FB, people getting roasted in the SC Deer Hunters group for mentioning what county they just shot a big buck in because all that does is increase lease prices in the area.

$15/acre to hunt in a club full of people is insane. Even if you got a 100 acre lease to yourself that's $1500 for a season??

I've seen plenty of clubs advertised for about that $1500 price tag that after doing the math of hunters/acres it comes out to about 30-40 acres per hunter. Absolutely crazy.
    Might not be crazy at all to the guy who want's to shoot wood ducks in holes any day of the week he wants without any competition, deer or turkey hunt where he wants most of the time without competition because a majority of the members are rarely there, and manage said club land how he wants within reason. A "well run" club in the right area is worth every bit of that type of money. Some guys join clubs in that price range and do nothing but turkey hunt. It's about what's valuable to you.

Also, I've paid from anywhere from $7-$12 per acre for individual leases of varying sizes in my area of SC. Some areas are or are getting much higher for different reasons such as Florida deer hunters and the like. Thankfully we don't deal with that much around here.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Might not be crazy at all to the guy who want's to shoot wood ducks in holes any day of the week he wants without any competition, deer or turkey hunt where he wants most of the time without competition because a majority of the members are rarely there, and manage said club land how he wants within reason. A "well run" club in the right area is worth every bit of that type of money. Some guys join clubs in that price range and do nothing but turkey hunt. It's about what's valuable to you.

Also, I've paid from anywhere from $7-$12 per acre for individual leases of varying sizes in my area of SC. Some areas are or are getting much higher for different reasons such as Florida deer hunters and the like. Thankfully we don't deal with that much around here.
    I don't know where you get the "without competition" stuff from. Maybe some clubs are like that but the one I joined last season was every bit as bad as people told me they were. ATVs all over the place, significantly more pressure than WMA, especially for deer.

The members were good guys and I liked them but not the overall experience so I didn't renew. That place was cheap, dues were $750. So I understand it probably wasn't the best club.

Honestly I only joined to have a place to hunt Sunday afternoons and also a spot to camp since our NF doesn't allow you to just park and pitch a tent like other states do in their NF lands.

What you described sounds nice but I'm not sure I'd see that as being worth $1500 bucks. To each his own though.

Jimmy, you ever considered moving back to one of these other states?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I don't know where you get the "without competition" stuff from. Maybe some clubs are like that but the one I joined last season was every bit as bad as people told me they were. ATVs all over the place, significantly more pressure than WMA, especially for deer.

The members were good guys and I liked them but not the overall experience so I didn't renew. That place was cheap, dues were $750. So I understand it probably wasn't the best club.

Honestly I only joined to have a place to hunt Sunday afternoons and also a spot to camp since our NF doesn't allow you to just park and pitch a tent like other states do in their NF lands.

What you described sounds nice but I'm not sure I'd see that as being worth $1500 bucks. To each his own though.
    $750 isn't going to get you in a good club. $1,500 probably won't in many cases, or in my case, it might. I get the lack of competition comments from my own club experience, compared to public. I'm sure there's a ton of clubs as you describe, but there's many that are much different in SC. To each his own, was my exactly my point.
    Last edited by PharmHunter; 08-04-2022 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Jimmy, you ever considered moving back to one of these other states?
    I'd miss you too much!

I'd miss you too much!
    That wasn't as much of a slam as it came across to be. If it weren't for my kids being in love with their grandparents, I would move tomorrow. And I'm not afraid to admit it.

Thanks fellas. Getting info together for properties I am looking at. Would lease out the hunting and farming rights so wanted to get an idea. Figured some place between $15 to $30 for hunting per acre and $30 to $50 for farming. Obviously a lot goes into that and what people would be willing to pay so thanks fellas.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    That wasn't as much of a slam as it came across to be. If it weren't for my kids being in love with their grandparents, I would move tomorrow. And I'm not afraid to admit it.
    Neither was my comment, all in good fun. And we are likely moving within the next 12 months. Quality public land hunting is too important to me. I've been spoiled with experiences better enough in comparison to settle for what we have here in SC. I love the people, love the scenery, but hate the hunting. If paying $1500 or more is what it takes to enjoy quality hunting here, I'm just not that interested.

My job is in Minnesota again, I work remotely, and my wife now stays home with our kids. Nothing is keeping us here.

Either we'll move back to TN and build on my family's land or it's back to the blistering cold of MN we go. I kinda miss the cold and snow to be honest.

Neither was my comment, all in good fun. And we are likely moving within the next 12 months. Quality public land hunting is too important to me. I've been spoiled with experiences better enough in comparison to settle for what we have here in SC. I love the people, love the scenery, but hate the hunting. If paying $1500 or more is what it takes to enjoy quality hunting here, I'm just not that interested.

My job is in Minnesota again, I work remotely, and my wife now stays home with our kids. Nothing is keeping us here.

Either we'll move back to TN and build on my family's land or it's back to the blistering cold of MN we go. I kinda miss the cold and snow to be honest.
    So you can move any where you want ... and you would choose Minnesota?

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    So you can move any where you want ... and you would choose Minnesota?
    I'd rather hit my penis with a rubber mallet

oh great. now the internet has ruined MN.

lots of game and lots and lots of wild places in MN. I loved it up there.....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.