Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Experiences with the Housing Market?

Default Experiences with the Housing Market?

Seems like it's slowed down but is still heavily in favor of the seller. We've listed our home solely because we could more than double what we paid for it. Any of y'all sold during the last couple of years, SOLELY as a business decision? How'd it work out for you? Holla.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

We haven't sold yet, but we're considering it. We could easily sell for about $150k more than we bought this house for... slightly less than 3 years ago. The upstate market is insane and I take it the lowcountry is the same.

A house in our 'hood that is the exact same layout but with a smaller lot just sold for $180k more than we paid for ours.

puts you right back on the other side buying something that has doubled in value and probably at a higher interest rate than you had. I wouldn't move solely as a business decision. especially if you like where you live. grass isn't always greener. I'm sure the real estate "professionals" in here will tell you different. It is always easy to spend someone else's money especially when you are skimming a percentage off the top.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

We could probably make 200k off our house right now but the problem is the equity would have to be put back into a purchase to be able to afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    We haven't sold yet, but we're considering it. We could easily sell for about $150k more than we bought this house for... slightly less than 3 years ago. The upstate market is insane and I take it the lowcountry is the same.

A house in our 'hood that is the exact same layout but with a smaller lot just sold for $180k more than we paid for ours.
    take it

We've decided to stay in ours even though we could make loads of money and really should down-size. We thought long and hard about selling, but we like our neighborhood and would have to pay too much to have another house built. Overall, we came to the conclusion that we will stay where we are.
    Last edited by MKW; 08-04-2022 at 02:45 PM.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

If we didn't love it here, I would have sold 6-12 months ago and made a killing. I'm afraid that our decision to stay, with the strong possibility of a major development going in on the 1100 acres next door in the next few years, is going to make us regret staying.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I wouldn't sell, unless you had a cheap interim solution while you waited on the market to flip. If you had a second house you could live in, or could downsize to something more recession proof, then you may be on to something.

You may actually come out to the negative on a deal like that unless you have a second home fall back plan.

I had a client literally in tears in my office one day praying their offer on a house would be accepted. They got cold called by a realtor wanting to sell their house for them with a cash offer for way more than they owed. They jumped without thinking and dove into a sellers market of inflated prices and low inventory where houses were selling before listing.

In the end they wound up with a smaller home and it cost them the money they made on the sale of their other home plus another $20 grand.

If I sell my place I better be able to replace the house and land plus retire. Nobody has showed me that money yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lowbudget View Post
    I wouldn't sell, unless you had a cheap interim solution while you waited on the market to flip. If you had a second house you could live in, or could downsize to something more recession proof, then you may be on to something.
    Yes, sir, we do. Could ideally sell our NC house, pay off the SC house and be debt-free and essentially retired by the time we're fifty.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

The only way a seller is making money, not reallocating it in this market, is if the seller is a contractor/builder and can do their new home at or below cost. Values will level off and the increase will become more like 5-10% annually depending on where you are, not the 19-22% of the last two years. Pawleys fortunately for me is always going to be on the higher end of the increase, less land available, the higher the value of homes due to limited availability. The market has been so hot here, I built some clients a new home on the marsh, signed the contract in 12/20, had a few hiccups along the way on their end and they still end up moving into a new home with equity already built into it. That is not the norm but I charge the same percentage fees on a $200 job as I do on a $1M job.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Yes, sir, we do. Could ideally sell our NC house, pay off the SC house and be debt-free and essentially retired by the time we're fifty.
    Send it!

We entertained the idea for a few months, nothing on the market like ours, looked back into downtown at a couple very private homes. We have a lake house to fall into, the home we really wanted was snapped up by artist trying to get out of Charleston. I don't plan to look into it again for another several years. I don't like the idea of basically being hassled or having to do anymore work on a house again. I'm past the project phase in my life.

Did y'all build that house, HS?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    What I would do. I learned along time ago if you have no debt it don't take much to live. Just stack it up. I would not move from my location because I could never get a place on the water this private for no kind of money.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Yep, I guess maybe 5 years ago.. pretty custom, on land. I've just about got everything the way I want it, we were, still worried a little about how a development is going to affect us. It'll be several years I believe until the phase close to us is probably done.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 08-04-2022 at 03:31 PM.

cant you just live on the boat, BB?

Its an interesting conundrum. Everyone here seems to be hitting on it. Sell at a higher price. BUY at a higher price.

If I was ready to downsize, I could see it working out.
    good luck with this Black Bart. Let us know what you end up doing!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I would not buy a house right now unless I absolutely had to or it was going to be my forever home. If you can sell without having to buy another one, I’d go for it.

I don't know about most markets, but the markets I do follow sellers are starting to lose the leverage they had for the last 2 years. I don't think it's a buyers market yet, but it looks like it is trending that way. If I was a seller, I'd do it ASAP or I wouldn't do it at all. If I sold I'd be in a secondary property or rental property to see if the market continues to cool off.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I don't know about most markets, but the markets I do follow sellers are starting to lose the leverage they had for the last 2 years. I don't think it's a buyers market yet, but it looks like it is trending that way. If I was a seller, I'd do it ASAP or I wouldn't do it at all. If I sold I'd be in a secondary property or rental property to see if the market continues to cool off.
    If we didn't hate the idea of moving twice in such a short period of time, we'd do that. Sell at this ridiculous number we could get for our house, rent for a while, buy when the home prices go back to normal.