Thread: Springer Spaniel Basic Training

Default Springer Spaniel Basic Training

We are getting one of SaltMucks pups. He is not going to be a strict hunting dog. I am getting him to be more of a companion/family dog. I would like him to be able to do some retrieves in a dove field when I get a chance to go. With that being said, I have never trained a dog and now I got a month to get a crash course. I looked at the Family Dog book a little this morning. Is there a better resource that I need to check out?

Look at Youtube videos from Standing Stone Kennels. Clicker training. They cover sit, stay and come as well as other commands. I used all their videos for my pointer.

I stand by Dokkens Retriever Training to be the easiest basic obedience training book to use. I’ve read others and but think Dokkens breaks it down the best.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Look into Bill Hillman's puppy stuff. I believe the puppy months are the most underrated time to set your dog up for future success. Even if you don't have lofty work/training goals, life is much easier with a well-balanced dog that adapted to the world at an early age. Plenty of time for serious training when the pup has matured.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Look into Bill Hillman's puppy stuff. I believe the puppy months are the most underrated time to set your dog up for future success. Even if you don't have lofty work/training goals, life is much easier with a well-balanced dog that adapted to the world at an early age. Plenty of time for serious training when the pup has matured.
    This is precisely what I was trying to say. I plan to have this dog with me a majority of the time and want him to be well behaved.

Socialize, socialize, socialize. Be intentional about introducing the pup to everything you can think of but do your best to make sure every experience is positive. Be the guy that takes his dog to Home Depot and the Bank. Get on fourwheelers, side by sides, boats, in water. Don't rush anything and don't count anything as a loss if it doesn't go as planned the first time. Repeat exposures are great. Don't underestimate the power of a long walk through the woods or across fields. Set standards, but make sure the puppy is judged fairly for his age.

That's about all I got.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Just 5 mins a day goes a long way.
    Remember he's just a puppy.

Just spending time with him as often as possible like MM said above, is probably the best training you will ever do for his future: He'll figure you out, and you'll figure him out.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Socialize, socialize, socialize. Be intentional about introducing the pup to everything you can think of but do your best to make sure every experience is positive. Be the guy that takes his dog to Home Depot and the Bank. Get on fourwheelers, side by sides, boats, in water. Don't rush anything and don't count anything as a loss if it doesn't go as planned the first time. Repeat exposures are great. Don't underestimate the power of a long walk through the woods or across fields. Set standards, but make sure the puppy is judged fairly for his age.

That's about all I got.
    Great advise.

Sam is doing great. I told Jcoker he’s the first to try everything. He was the first on solid food, testing out water, plays with my 3 kids daily and Sunday took his first (short) atv ride.

84F2A884-5C3F-4D14-9842-CFAC6E61655A.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Like others have said take him everywhere with you and expose he/she to as much as possible. As for the obedience training there are tons of resources out there now and I'm sure you can find a good one. I would suggest looking for spaniel specific programs that deals with their temperaments and personalities vs say a lab. Never had one so I don't know for sure but I'm guessing there are some differences. Good luck!

It’s a spaniel. Best way to train it is with a .22 between the eyes. Calms them right down
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    It’s a spaniel. Best way to train it is with a .22 between the eyes. Calms them right down
    Thanks