Thread: Build me a night time hog killer

Default Build me a night time hog killer

Trying to get an idea of price for a dedicated night time hog gun…so suppressed with a thermal. Interested to see some opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

You can build an accurate 7.62x39 for $500
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

When you decide want package you want, let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Are you wanting a field rifle you sit in a stand with and need 400yd shooter or are you stalking and shooting at >200yds?
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

Do you reload?

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

I run a aero precision built ar10 in .308. Got an ATN 5x20 NV scope that works well enough for stationary shooting at various distances. The IR illuminator that comes with it is garbage so I tossed that and run a Wicked Hunting Light that has three options (Red light, 850NM, and 950NM). It looks like daylight on the IR settings. Finally to keep the neighbors happy I run my silencerco hybrid 46 can on it. It does well to make that .308 tolerable.

Daniel Defense AR10 DD5V3 30cal suppressor, Trijicon IR hunter mk3 60mm
    Last edited by Justintimesc; 09-06-2022 at 12:13 PM.

What is wrong with a q-beam?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    What is wrong with a q-beam?
    Requires putting your beer down.

Are you specifically wanting a THERMAL or are you just wanting to see at night?
    If you are just wanting to see at night I’d go with the ATN 4kPRO or LTV.
    If you want a thermal, Pulsar is supposed to have come out with a new one this year that’s supposed to be pretty good without breaking the bank. I can’t remember the model.

As for rifle….. Anything that will shoot accurately, bolt or semi. I’d go with .223 or 350 legend. You do not need a 308 or anything else that takes a AR10 platform to kill hogs. By the time you add NV/Thermal on top of an AR10 you have a 25lb rifle. A .223 with a good bullet will kill any hog that you want. A 350 legend will give you a lot bigger hole and recoils like a .223, but the range will be limited.

A lot of people think you need a .50bmg for a hog. I’ve killed more hogs with a .22mag than just about anything else that I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Justintimesc View Post
    Daniel Defense AR10 DD5V3 30cal suppressor, Trijicon IR hunter mk3 60mm
    Damn

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    Are you specifically wanting a THERMAL or are you just wanting to see at night?
    If you are just wanting to see at night I’d go with the ATN 4kPRO or LTV.
    If you want a thermal, Pulsar is supposed to have come out with a new one this year that’s supposed to be pretty good without breaking the bank. I can’t remember the model.

As for rifle….. Anything that will shoot accurately, bolt or semi. I’d go with .223 or 350 legend. You do not need a 308 or anything else that takes a AR10 platform to kill hogs. By the time you add NV/Thermal on top of an AR10 you have a 25lb rifle. A .223 with a good bullet will kill any hog that you want. A 350 legend will give you a lot bigger hole and recoils like a .223, but the range will be limited.

A lot of people think you need a .50bmg for a hog. I’ve killed more hogs with a .22mag than just about anything else that I own.
    I have worked the hogs pretty good with .223 rem 55gn jacketed soft tips. Requires decent shot placement or marginal shot placement with a quick follow up. All within 100yds.

You trying to hunt them or eradicate?

Eradicate equals 223, more bullets in more pigs equals more dead pigs

I still grave yard kill them with some rig I got from Griffin at 200yds years ago. Can’t remember AR10 maker but it has a flir on it

6.5 suppressed to keep the neighbors happy. No feedback on the platform or optic.

Quote Originally Posted by SC quacker2 View Post
    Requires putting your beer down.
    Nice
    At least I'm housebroken.

If you want to kill hogs in volume you will need a helicopter to go with that gun.