Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterfowl Hunting Change 2022-2023

Default Waterfowl Hunting Change 2022-2023

So national forestlands are off limits to duck hunt until Wed / Sat. So much for "hunter opportunity" on public lands. Next will be limiting, turkey, squirrel, woodcock, quail, deer hunting etc. Nothing more fun than finding a flooded bottom holding a few ducks when deer or woodcock hunting and setting up on them the next morning, especially a weekday of your choosing.

"Waterfowl Hunting on Francis Marion
    and Sumter National Forests
    Francis Marion National Forest and Sumter National Forests are open for waterfowl
    hunting Wednesdays and Saturdays in the
    A.M. only during the Waterfowl Season. See
    Pages 80-81."
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Wish they would say… Waterfowl change….. Going to actually manage our CAT 2s and do better on all the CAT 1s. Going to provide better habitat and all lakes are going to have to have a coverage of 20% of SAVs….. Not gonna hold my breath tho….
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

600k acres of what is supposed to be our national forest now down to 2 days a week. I used to enjoy Friday morning duck hunts in there and leave Saturday to the people who only had that opportunity. What a shame.

This has to be the worst run DNR in America.

This sure does bode well for the private impoundments though. Matter of fact, that's literally the only beneficiary in this rule change. Hmmmm

Very surprised this made it to the rule book without being discussed here first. BS rule.

I checked on this when I heard about it.

Was told the recommendation came from federal employees to reduce disturbance.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post

Why not just change them all to CAT2? Regulated more and manage more right?….. hahahaha
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Raise your hand if you didn’t see this coming…

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Why not just change them all to CAT2? Regulated more and manage more right?….. hahahaha
    That's effectively what they did, didn't they? They just took 600k acres and made it 2 days a week hunting only and will do little, if anything, to improve waterfowl habitat. Sounds like a CAT 2 to me.

let them eat cake

All we’ve heard is how ducks are too pressured on public land and water.

So stop crying when you got what you were asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post

The same federal employees that only work during April and May when they're burning up turkey nests?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I think this new rule might actually hurt private impoundments. It potentially provides 1000's of acres of habitat for waterfowl to use without being pressured by being shot at, not necessarily killed, just shot "at". Of course, there are those who "scout" 7 days per week that will still drive resting waterfowl unto private habitat.

100's of thousands of acres of CAT II without actually being labeled CAT II. This ought to be interesting.
    Last edited by cajunwannabe; 07-28-2022 at 07:20 AM.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

There are ducks in South Carolina?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

At least start with the known culprits and ban mud motors, especially surface drives. This new ruling won't eliminate "scouting", aka riding through flocks of resting waterfowl.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    At least start with the known culprits and ban mud motors, especially surface drives. This new ruling won't eliminate "scouting", aka riding through flocks of resting waterfowl.
    I'm told that there have been private impoundment owners known to drive those groups of resting waterfowl towards their impoundments on purpose. Sometimes doing it at night.

I only venture to the lowcountry to fish the salt marshes so I can't say I've seen it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    I don't know every inch of the FMNF or Sum(p)ter NF, but this will only stop a few locals from pass shooting woodies before work or school. What a shame too.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    I'm told that there have been private impoundment owners known to drive those groups of resting waterfowl towards their impoundments on purpose. Sometimes doing it at night.

I only venture to the lowcountry to fish the salt marshes so I can't say I've seen it happen.
    Sure, just like i hear all the time "bo, they order truckloads of birdseed/corn/milo during duck season"
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

This.....the government has to look out for poor people. They can't make proper decisions concerning pressure by themselves.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    Sure, just like i hear all the time "bo, they order truckloads of birdseed/corn/milo during duck season"
    They don't need to do that. It's easier to just flood corn because that qualifies as a normal agricultural practice when you're on an impoundment.

Poor man put the corn in the water and the rich man puts the water in the corn
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...