Thread: Kawasaki 4 wheeler

Default Kawasaki 4 wheeler

Older model (2002) 650....was running it Saturday and it shuts off. Going 15mph down a road and everything went dead, motor shuts off, all electrical (dash) dead. Rolls to a stop.

Battery new, plenty of fuel, check the fuses, all look good. Look underneath, seems fine, nothing leaking, no wires dangling.

Jiggle the key, mess with the ignition, hook up the jump start, can't get any kind of electrical going, dash never comes on.

What the hell happened?

Check the kill switch button if it has it. I had one go bad one time, and it wouldn’t let me do anything. You should be able to ohm it out, to verify

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Ground or main circuit breaker....follow the big wires off the battery

i stand with KRT
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I've got the same problem on a 98 fourtrax. Blew a main fuse, I replaced it then the whole thing died without blowing the fuse.

I'm sure a wire has rubbed raw on the frame somewhere but havent had the time to comb it over.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

CDI box or voltage regulator.

Mike

Yep, what he said. My artic cat did the same thing about 5 years ago. No problems since
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

If main fuse is blown check regulator/rectifier. Can go bad and cause a short to ground.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I've got the same problem on a 98 fourtrax. Blew a main fuse, I replaced it then the whole thing died without blowing the fuse.

I'm sure a wire has rubbed raw on the frame somewhere but havent had the time to comb it over.
    CDI Box Compatible with Honda TRX 300 TRX300 FW Fourtrax TRX300FW 1998 1999 2000 Replace 30410-HM5-A10 30410-HM5-A11 30410-HM5-S01 30400-HM5-506 https://a.co/d/1DaLiAi

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    CDI Box Compatible with Honda TRX 300 TRX300 FW Fourtrax TRX300FW 1998 1999 2000 Replace 30410-HM5-A10 30410-HM5-A11 30410-HM5-S01 30400-HM5-506 https://a.co/d/1DaLiAi
    I had no idea they were sold on Amazon....I thought it was a scavenger hunt in junkyards.

That said...this would be the second box in a year. First one was replaced at a mechanic in Pamplico for a lot more than $30. I've got another underlying problem. Why would the CDI box be going out?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I had no idea they were sold on Amazon....I thought it was a scavenger hunt in junkyards.

That said...this would be the second box in a year. First one was replaced at a mechanic in Pamplico for a lot more than $30. I've got another underlying problem. Why would the CDI box be going out?
    BB,

Some of the ones out there are first rate POS's. I wanna say mine came from a guy in TN and it's red vs the normal black. I also think I have one at the house that will work for your machine. I bought it to fit my 97. It's been sitting for a bit...you can have it. May work, may not.

Mike

I'll certainly take you up on it but I'd hate for it to fry up because I cant trace out a bad wire.

Sorry to hijack the thread...

Bad voltage regulator/rectifier could fry your cdi and blow the main fuse.

They're cheap enough to try on amazon too....

PM me a cell # and I'll send you a pic of the plug on mine to confirm it will fit.

I found a new regulator along with the CDI. You or the OP are welcome to em.

790DC993-41D8-46F9-AD1E-719DAFCC5D53.jpg

Update, loose kill switch harness, and a broken switch spring inside the harness, guessing they were related somehow.

Anyway, it's running again, thanks for all the help!