Thread: Even the Polacks know...

Default Even the Polacks know...

Not to put the pussy on a pedestal...

Cats classified as 'invasive alien species' by Polish scientific institute

Study found that cats hunt and kill birds and other wildlife — but cat lovers are responding to the new accusation
    By Angelica Stabile | Fox News

Respected scientific institute Polish Academy of Sciences (PASIFIC) has officially classified cats as an "invasive alien species," according to the Associated Press.

The study, headed by PASIFIC biologist Wojciech Solarz, found that the damage that cats cause in terms of hunting and killing birds and other wildlife was enough justification to consider the animals invasive.

The "Felis catus" species, otherwise known as the house cat, was entered into a national database powered by the academy’s Institute of Nature Conservation — which holds 1,786 other species — and it heard no objection to that.

But the public reportedly responded to this new entry with sheer disapproval.

The scientist told the AP that the public may have been become upset by false accusations that the institute was pushing to euthanize feral cats.

Fox News Digital reached out to the state-run Polish Academy of Sciences for comment.

The cat "100%" met all criteria to land itself on the list of invasive species, Solarz argued, due to the animals' harmful impact on biodiversity.

In an appearance on independent broadcaster TVN, Solarz mentioned that cats kill 140 million birds in Poland every year.

The institute addressed the controversy on its website last month, stressing the academy’s opposition to animal cruelty, the AP reported.

The institute emphasized that it was only recommending that cat owners limit the amount of time their pets spend outside during bird breeding season.

Becky Robinson, president and founder of the Bethesda, Maryland-based, Alley Cat Allies — a leader in a global movement to protect cats and kittens — is skeptical, however, that other parts of the world, such as Australia and New Zealand, won't continue efforts to get rid of cats.

"Make no mistake: Labeling cats as invasive is a preferred first step in a broader strategy of killing them in huge numbers through ghastly cat hunts and poisonings," she said in a statement to Fox News Digital on Tuesday.

"This idea of killing cats will never be accepted by the compassionate society in which we live," Robinson said.

"It will never be effective to kill cats, nor will it be morally acceptable."

Robinson said biologists and environmentalists have proven that other factors, such as climate change and habitat destruction, are the leading cause of species loss — which makes it "entirely improper" to place the blame on cats, she said.

The institute's guidance to limit the amount of time cats spend outside is counterintuitive to the species' makeup, Robinson maintained, since cats have lived alongside humans for thousands of years.

It's only recently, she said, that they've started living indoors, given the invention of kitty litter within the last century.

"There is no future in which people can exist without cats. They are here to stay," she said.

"The only path forward is through humane, nonlethal programs such as Trap-Neuter-Return, the scientifically proven approach to effectively and humanely address community cat populations," she said.

The Associated Press contributed reporting to this piece.

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/ca...ific-institute

It's going to have to happen here.

I will donate pillowcases to the cause.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Pbiz for president of the Feral Cat Eradication Association.

I miss the cat shoot posts!
    DILLIGAF

Y'all barking up the wrong tree,.....it's climate change.

"Robinson said biologists and environmentalists have proven that other factors, such as climate change and habitat destruction, are the leading cause of species loss — which makes it "entirely improper" to place the blame on cats, she said."

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    I will donate pillowcases to the cause.

I'll donate the bricks...

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    I miss the cat shoot posts!
    It's called a ditch lion safari.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Has anyone proposed a list of recipes?

Cat.
    Dales.
    Bacon.
    Jalepeno pepper
    Italian Dressing.
    Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Has anyone proposed a list of recipes?
    Check with the local Chinese restaurants.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

I’d still eat Chinese if it turned out to actually be cat meat.

Hell I might even be more inclined to do so.

I hate a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Cat.
    Dales.
    Bacon.
    Jalepeno pepper
    Italian Dressing.
    Enjoy.
    Your lack of cream cheese shows your uncouthness.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    It didn't fit his macros for the day.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    When yer right, yer right...

And yeller onion. Can’t forget the yeller onion

Goes without saying…

I left my two labs at an indoor dog sitters house. When I got back I saw she had a house cat.

When I got home I tried to make up by playing fetch.

I heard my older lab say to the younger pup that it was going to eat every dove I shoot to get back at me.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.