Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: Meateater

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fort Kickass
    Posts
    48,576

    Default Meateater

    He's like a craft hotsauce, a little bit goes a long way, but my daughter absolutely loves the show. I also like the fact he spends as much of the show cooking the kills/catch as he does chasing them. He's like a modern pretty boy Franc White.

    I struggle getting her out and about in the woods. I dont force it, always offer to take her to do this and do that but she's a pretty busy critter between dance, girl scouts, swimming, birthday parties and sleepovers so on her off weekends, she opts to chill in the AC.

    That said, it's what she always asks to watch when it's just us. Always engaged and asking questions. Wants me to take her to kill an elk. Also, she mentioned that the NWTF biologist that Steve hunted turkeys with in SC was kind of a "doof".
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    7,257

    Default

    Take me to kill an elk too.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

    "Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    2,200

    Default

    Just be thankful for every second you spend with her regardless of what you are doing. I had hoped to do more in the outdoors with my daughter. It seems that lack of interest was not a factor for her, just too busy with her own social calendar.
    DILLIGAF

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg
    Posts
    46,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    He's like a craft hotsauce, a little bit goes a long way, but my daughter absolutely loves the show. I also like the fact he spends as much of the show cooking the kills/catch as he does chasing them. He's like a modern pretty boy Franc White.

    I struggle getting her out and about in the woods. I dont force it, always offer to take her to do this and do that but she's a pretty busy critter between dance, girl scouts, swimming, birthday parties and sleepovers so on her off weekends, she opts to chill in the AC.

    That said, it's what she always asks to watch when it's just us. Always engaged and asking questions. Wants me to take her to kill an elk. Also, she mentioned that the NWTF biologist that Steve hunted turkeys with in SC was kind of a "doof".
    My kids love his show as well. That biologist is Rob Abernathy. He and I were in a club together back in the early 2000's and he's a great guy.

    Folks can say what they want about Rinella and his brand. There's a lot I don't like about them but they do and have done more to show hunting in a positive light to non hunters than anyone else I can think of.

    His new book "outdoor kids in an indoor world" is good too. Keep in mind it's not really written for most folks on here but for parents who don't know and do what we know and do to help them get their kids outside and away from screens and AC.
    Last edited by Glenn; 07-27-2022 at 10:48 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    2,806

    Default

    Yeah. I want to go.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fort Kickass
    Posts
    48,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Folks can say what they want about Rinella and his brand. There's a lot I don't like about them but they do and have done more to show hunting in a positive light to non hunters than anyone else I can think of.
    Agreed. He is a great ambassador. I've watched some interactions he's had with non-hunters spewing the bambi killer vitriol and he's non-pulsed, patient and isnt raised to answer in anger. His conversations havent been to change the person's mind, but to be able to view a perspective they hadnt considered. It's a real gift to be able to do that.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    470

    Default

    His accent is hard to bear and he's a bit dramatic but I would agree that he's done well to paint the hunting community in a positive light.

    Though selling a mass produced turkey call for $300 was laughable, at best.

    I stopped watching and supporting his brand when he got involved with the Chernin Group because of their anti 2A views. But if my daughter wanted to watch it, I'd surely watch it with her. Daddy/daughter time is invaluable.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moncks Corner
    Posts
    14,565

    Default

    Regardless of what modern science says, boys and girls are different. That doesn't mean that all boys will like to hunt and all girls won't. I do think it means that there's a much greater chance that a boy will become a life-long hunter than a girl when offered the exact same opportunities growing up. I know you're making her both confident and competent with hunting. The rest will be up to her.

    My sister and niece never have hunted but they'll binge on Meat Eater for hours - go figure.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9



    Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fort Kickass
    Posts
    48,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Just be thankful for every second you spend with her regardless of what you are doing. I had hoped to do more in the outdoors with my daughter. It seems that lack of interest was not a factor for her, just too busy with her own social calendar.
    Oh I am. Everybody is different. She likes to deer hunt (afternoons), not a fan of turkey hunting, I think because of the wake up call. Loves to fish but very limited on time to do it and the fishing is often interrupted by swimming so there's not a whole lot of catching.... Wants to learn to fly fish, go deep sea fishing and do some spear fishing. I feed the wants and try to create opportunities and dont get visibly disappointed if they dont work out.

    I took a page out of Rubberhead's book. We have lunch dates, often. I whittle some time out for just she and I if it's crafting, building stuff, fixing stuff, and some pretty embarrassing kitchen dance parties.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,907

    Default

    Bet he doesn't have a Zebra painted plane though. Or that catchy background music.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moncks Corner
    Posts
    14,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    We have lunch dates, often. I whittle some time out for just she and I if it's crafting, building stuff, fixing stuff, and some pretty embarrassing kitchen dance parties.
    I hope that works as well for you as it did for me. My daughter is one of the toughest, sweetest, smartest, most adventurous, most interesting, most versatile, most athletic, and most interesting people I know. It's not my doing, though, I just made sure she had the runway and the confidence to become whatever she wanted. All of the other things were all her choices. She even picked a guy that I totally adore and approve of for her husband.

    I had to keep my Africa trip secret, though, because she would have dropped our new grandbaby on someone and been right there on the plane with me. She doesn't let anyone stand in the way of an adventure. (Of course, I'm joking about the Africa thing. But, when I tell that joke everyone that knows her laughs because, like all good jokes, there's a certain element of truth in it too.)
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9



    Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    42,854

    Default

    ^he left out soccer player...

    and you said most interesting twice....(like a father should)
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 07-27-2022 at 11:56 AM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    42,854

    Default

    i am obviously a horrible parent bc my daughter is at Vet camp up at clemson this week....

    and i think rinella is a douche rocket.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Green Pond SC
    Posts
    1,399

    Default

    Well, you don’t like many people anyway so… there’s that.

    His Michigander accent is maddening at times but he is highly intelligent and does not hide his mistakes when missing or “dorking” on something which I find refreshing. My kids and I listen to the podcasts which we all find educational and entertaining
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fort Kickass
    Posts
    48,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i am obviously a horrible parent bc my daughter is at Vet camp up at clemson this week....
    Vet camp? Please dont tell my daughter there is such a thing. She wants to be a hair stylist and be a vet when she grows up. Her plan is to cut hair while in vet college.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moncks Corner
    Posts
    14,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    ^he left out soccer player...

    and you said most interesting twice....(like a father should)
    I was trying to skirt around that, without saying it outright, with the "most athletic" comment. Actually she switched to track in college and has run a half dozen marathons since graduating. She finished third on a trail marathon -she came in bleeding from both legs and hands and was super grumpy, though...we took her to a all-you-can-eat buffet afterwards - Big Brother would have been proud.

    Did I mention how interesting she is?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9



    Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    42,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Pride View Post
    Well, you don’t like many people anyway so… there’s that.

    His Michigander accent is maddening at times but he is highly intelligent and does not hide his mistakes when missing or “dorking” on something which I find refreshing. My kids and I listen to the podcasts which we all find educational and entertaining
    well youre a douche too.
    and I can putt better than you.
    and I'm better looking.
    so, there's that.

    i remember watching this rinella when he first came out and wasnt adored by the scducks brethen. he was green as hell and annoying.
    he still is. I just cant watch him or listen to him one tiny bit. I know, its my fault.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    42,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I was trying to skirt around that, without saying it outright, with the "most athletic" comment. Actually she switched to track in college and has run a half dozen marathons since graduating. She finished third on a trail marathon -she came in bleeding from both legs and hands and was super grumpy, though...we took her to a all-you-can-eat buffet afterwards - Big Brother would have been proud.

    Did I mention how interesting she is?
    a couple, few times maybe...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg
    Posts
    46,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Vet camp? Please dont tell my daughter there is such a thing. She wants to be a hair stylist and be a vet when she grows up. Her plan is to cut hair while in vet college.
    Knock that out of her right now.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fort Kickass
    Posts
    48,576

    Default

    Horse vet at that.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •