Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Guys

Default Diesel Guys

What are y'all's thoughts regarding the survival of non-commercial diesel trucks? Will they become extinct, and if so, will they then become unicorns? I have an LMM with 306,000 but figured I'd get some feedback regarding trade-in versus keeping. Leaning towards keeping. Holla.

And Mark, I know you're not fond of Chevrolet.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

I listened to an economist this weekend who feels that diesel will be $8-9 before it is all over. That really hurts
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I listened to an economist this weekend who feels that diesel will be $8-9 before it is all over. That really hurts
    The crippling effect that will have on the overall economy will be mind blowing. I am normally pessimistic on these sorts of things but I think the winds of change are starting to blow and people are getting fed up with the climate/progressive cult. Look at all of the leaders who champion this shit being forced from office/resigning. I hope it is steering in the right direction.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Look at all of the leaders who champion this shit being forced from office/resigning. I hope it is steering in the right direction.
    Eventually every pendulum swings back, I hope that's what is happening.

Another one of the many reasons to pick up your rifle and dare a mother fucker.

Keep the damn'd truck.

Reliable vehicles of any real age are true unicorns these days. Toss in the diesel status and it's a whole 'nother ballgame.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    The crippling effect that will have on the overall economy will be mind blowing. I am normally pessimistic on these sorts of things but I think the winds of change are starting to blow and people are getting fed up with the climate/progressive cult. Look at all of the leaders who champion this shit being forced from office/resigning. I hope it is steering in the right direction.
    He went into extensive detail about the shipping challenges and food shortages those prices would cause. It was a very disturbing presentation. I may go back to gas after giving Calibogue massive amounts of shit for doing so.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

And NASCAR is going electric... WTF is this world coming to?

He went into extensive detail about the shipping challenges and food shortages those prices would cause. It was a very disturbing presentation. I may go back to gas after giving Calibogue massive amounts of shit for doing so.
    Was it the gas or the UGA plate? I can’t remember.

You ain't gonna be by yoself.....

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    And NASCAR is going electric... WTF is this world coming to?
    Nascar has been shit long before now, if they go electric it will surprise absolutely no one......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jarrett80 View Post
    Was it the gas or the UGA plate? I can’t remember.
    All that

Booz go grab my dump trailer off Kathwood and run it to the dump, you can justify the tufiddy.

I'm not so certain about that. Diesel is not expensive to make. Before 2005'ish diesel was less expensive than gasoline. The price change was all because of government regulation. The SCOTUS ruling a few weeks ago against the EPA and coal fired power plants could be what's needed to kick this back in the right direction.

There's a ton of projects in feasibility study now that have to do with Hydrogen. I personally think Hydrogen will do what ethanol did and build out 10% and die but who knows. The biggest problem(s) I see with hydrogen are; 1. its weak. Very volatile but doesn't pack a big punch. 2. It takes more energy to make hydrogen than hydrogen can currently produce. And a sidebar 3rd is that it's too government dependent and want be a standalone industry without a ton of subsidies and kickbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    What are y'all's thoughts regarding the survival of non-commercial diesel trucks? Will they become extinct, and if so, will they then become unicorns? I have an LMM with 306,000 but figured I'd get some feedback regarding trade-in versus keeping. Leaning towards keeping. Holla.

Not just Chevy, it’s GM as a whole.

And you couldn’t get me to buy another diesel of any make right now. The premium on the engines, fuel cost, maintenance and out of warranty repair costs just don’t make financial sense for anyone in a non commercial environment anymore. These modern gas engines like the 7.3L Godzilla and 6.4L Hemi are more than capable of doing the work. I left the 6.6L GM off because it’ll be broke down too much to count.

As to yours, you’d get good money selling it outright, the dealers are going to leave you $5-$7k short. Im looking to get out of my 2018 Tundra, the trade values I got made me laugh at them. At 300K+, you are finally on the positive side of recoupment. If it runs good, you’re happy with it etc., keep it.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I think they will likely be extinct at some point but no telling how long though. 50 years? 25? I got nothing against driving an E vehicle when they are the same price, can be refueled in the same amount of time as a gas/Diesel engine, and can go the same distance on a full charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post

And you couldn’t get me to buy another diesel of any make right now. The premium on the engines, fuel cost, maintenance and out of warranty repair costs just don’t make financial sense for anyone in a non commercial environment anymore. These modern gas engines like the 7.3L Godzilla and 6.4L Hemi are more than capable of doing the work. I left the 6.6L GM off because it’ll be broke down too much to count.

As to yours, you’d get good money selling it outright, the dealers are going to leave you $5-$7k short. Im looking to get out of my 2018 Tundra, the trade values I got made me laugh at them. At 300K+, you are finally on the positive side of recoupment. If it runs good, you’re happy with it etc., keep it.
    I'm in a rental 2500 RAM right now while my HD is in the body shop(damn 4 weeks now for a 3k repair from someone backing into me in a parking lot, after waiting almost 3 months for body shop appt since it was still driveable). 6.4 HEMI equipped....had 3.5K miles on it when I picked it up, just under 7k now. Truck has to be the worst power train combination I have ever driven. Sporty acceleration for a bigger truck but the shuddering at idle, searching for gears, and the cylinder deactivation is nothing short of annoying as hell. I would avoid one at all costs...

I make the switch to gas on our last 2500 purchase The gas engine has 15K towing capacity. I hauled a 65hp Tractor and bushhog up past Caesars Head for a job at Camp Greenville with it last month. If you know that road you know it was and extreme case. Truck and trailer made it up just fine. I did choose to haul it down a different route because towing and braking are two entirely different conversations.

Credit to Saltydog for being the first person to make a strong case for switching. That was the basis for our change.
    Last edited by DJP; 07-25-2022 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    I make the switch to gas on our last 2500 purchase The gas engine has 15K towing capacity. I hauled a 65hp Tractor and bushhog up past Caesars Head for a job at Camp Greenville with it last month. If you know that road you know it was and extreme case. Truck and trailer made it up just fine. I did choose to haul it down a different route because towing and braking are two entirely different conversations.

Credit to Saltydog for being the first person to make a strong case for switching. That was the basis for our change.
    Locked into tow/haul with hill descent activated and the gas is fine. I never use mine but roads are flat here, the engine braking with the 10spd is great towing the 16k I do now.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post

Was the engine screaming like all gas vehicles do towing at high speed? This has been my concern with the new 2500 gas trucks.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post

I’m with salty on this one other than the GM. I switched to a 6.6 gas in 2020. On my 3rd because you can put a leveling kit and tires on them and sell them for 10-12k more than new. For the initial price, maintenance and difference in fuel it’s just a dick measuring contest if you say you need a diesel. And I pull a 305 mini and 299 skid steer several times a week. +/- 15k with the trailer .