Thread: Disc in vs. Burn

Default Disc in vs. Burn

I have a one and a half acre plot that I sow with buckwheat in the spring and oats/rye in the fall. I usually have success but this year between the lack of rain in June and the deer it's overgrown with weeds. In the past when it got like this I would just bushhog it and disc it in . My question is what's more beneficial to the soil discing it in or mowing then burning.

Mowing and burning then broadcasting or no till.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Describe how you would no till. Half will be oats/rye the other half same blend as a nurse crop for clover. I'm worried about seed depth on the oats/rye

I’d bush hog it about 2 weeks before you were ready to plant in September, then disc it and plant it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    I’d bush hog it about 2 weeks before you were ready to plant in September, then disc it and plant it.
    That's usually what I do I was just wondering if burning was a better option. I've always heard it puts nitrogen in the ground but I've also heard turning it under puts organic matter in the ground. And no till allows the ground to retain its moisture.

Burning also kills some of the weed seed bank, doesn't it?

Burn it. Plow it and you’ll lose moisture. Or bush hog it down after a rain to about 6 inches. Cut grass will hold moisture. Wait a week then spray it then come right back and broadcast seed

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000567239725
    Last edited by Duckman#1; 07-22-2022 at 11:05 AM.
    80-20 Genaration

I've also seen where people crimp it but them crimpers are higher than camel cock
    Last edited by Huntinjunkie; 07-22-2022 at 11:09 AM.

I wouldn’t get out the electric chair to plant rye in any food plot but a no till drill with a clover box could be used to plant oats, rye and clover in one pass, if I understand your question correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    D touched on it above. Either rent/borrow a grain drill or you can broadcast a day or two before a rain event at double the seed rate.

Best way we have found for planting clover is a hand crank spreader. Clover merely needs contact with the finished seed bed . We top sow it and don't do anything else. We have often mixed in some sand with the seed to get good dispersion. Clover seed is tiny. If it wasn't so expensive , a good Ladino or Durana mixed with Oats is all I would plant for deer and Gobblers.

We plant chufa patches for turkeys but don't hunt over them. It's a lot of extra work and expense too.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

We were planting chufa for turkey plots. The pigs found them and worked it over like a bottom plow. They are back every year looking for that stuff now. We don't plant chufa anymore.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

I cover my wheat/oats lightly with harrow or lightly tilling (my preference). I top sow the clover after the fact and mine comes up good. If you can do it right before a rain it works great.

If you burn it, discing will be easy.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

If it’s sandy(ish) land I’d just disc it. If it’s heavy, thick, black dirt I’d spray it then cut it under.