Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pompano ??

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    The fall and late fall can be darn good.
    I have wore the trout out in the surf on an 808 Mirrolure many times in Nov/Dec

I cut my teeth surf fishing in my young days.

In fact at Mom/Dad first IOP house there was an old Navy Retiree that lived behind out house(had a 3 legged Doberman ) and he would take me down to where Wild Dunes (he had an old truck with push button transmission , still remember that ) is now. At low tide was a big “pond” due to sand bars. We used to wade that catch loads of trout using red jig heads with white grubs. I would ask him about different colors, he would always say “Tom you can fish with any color grub you as long as it has a red head and white body “ Every now and then a flounder. He also taught Dad and I to fry the trout roe instead of discarding.

Dad would even preach a Sunday am Service at the Sand Dollar Campground when were there.

Sure do miss those days
    Last edited by tprice; 07-21-2022 at 05:38 AM.

Tried it couple times so far. Nothing but whiting. Catching butt load of them.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Tried it couple times so far. Nothing but whiting. Catching butt load of them.
    It’s been slow lately with pompano. I’ve caught all of mine at sunrise. Big ones too. After it warms up, whiting are the only players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Ghost View Post
    It’s been slow lately with pompano. I’ve caught all of mine at sunrise. Big ones too. After it warms up, whiting are the only players.

primetime is the crack of dawn

Watch out for these things.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Dad would even preach a Sunday am Service at the Sand Dollar Campground when were there.

Sure do miss those days
    One of my earliest memories was my dad telling me and my brothers that President Kennedy had been shot and killed. We were camping at the Sand Dollar at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    primetime is the crack of dawn

Yep, been trying to do that BUT with an 18 month old and 2+ yr old wanting Papa T to cook breakfast for them every am it is kind of hard to walk down to beach to fish.

Not complaining at all though.

We did go with JR Waites, he took us to Bulls Bay. Told me up front redfish have locked down for some reason last 7-10 days (only thing he can come up with is all the rain week or so ago ). We wore out sharks, black tips, sharp nose and fine tooth. My 2 nephews had a blast and brought along a coworker (they are all FT Firemen in Greenville county/city ) for his first saltwater trip ever. He had a blast. I just sat and watched.

Coming back end of Oct for real fishing trip

Thanks for help guys, just more of a challenge that I thought it would be with 3 grandkids with us this week (they all get up crack of dawn every day)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post

Yep, have not seen rattlesnake on IOP in years but not that uncommon before they developed Wild Dunes. We would see them crossing road on way to end of island to fish while riding bikes.

Still to this day I am on lookout of them when out in yard at night. Up until now there have been 2 undeveloped lots behind our house on Palm Blvd (house is being built on one of those now ) Could see it would be nice place for rattlers to live, have jumped deer there quite a bit over the years
    Last edited by tprice; 07-29-2022 at 07:24 AM.

Told me up front redfish have locked down for some reason last 7-10 days (only thing he can come up with is all the rain week or so ago ).

Coming back end of Oct for real fishing trip
    Fish are lazy right now and have fallen into small feeding windows. Need to be mobile to find your feeding fish. Stable barometer has not helped.

Good time to come back, oct-new years can be a good time to collect some rent on fish.

topwater at crack of dawn over oyster points and Sheepshead (fiddler on a Bottom Sweeper jig) can still be fun in the heat of summer.
    White bucktail with a gulp on it under a dock is a decent shot too. Old docks with grass lined bank, not a mud or flat beach dock.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

yall posting this on the innerweb has ruined it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    I saw one of those near the dynamite hole a few years ago riding the current out of the jetties. It was neat to see until it saw us and assumed we were and island of refuge.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    yall posting this on the innerweb has ruined it.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Ghost View Post
    How so?

Guess he thinks Dynamite hole is a Top Secret location ��

Seriously thanks for all the help folks, just did not get to fish like I thought due to 3 grandkids. Some things lot more important that fishing/hunting

Actually made right decision leaving my boat at home this time to be honest

Still had my heart set on some fresh whole pompano. But Simmons Seafood did not disappoint, great fresh tuna steaks one night and going to pick up some red snapper filets before we leave tomorrow
    Last edited by tprice; 07-29-2022 at 07:06 PM.

That’s fishing sometimes. And I equate pompano/whiting to panfish. Not really any info on the internet that will make the beaches crowded with fishermen.