Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 Used SUV's?

Default Top 5 Used SUV's?

Serious question for the vehicle 'SCDBT' that I may be faced with in the near future... (pending insurance claim from an accident).

"If you had to replace your Land Cruiser (2000, 178K miles, pretty good condition), and you weren't able to find an equivalent LC, and you want to stick with an SUV (not a PU truck, sedan, or crossover), what vehicles and year classes would you consider (reliability, longevity, looks, functionality, etc)?"

Thanks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

We have a 2012 Mazda CX-9 that we bought new. It has 250K miles on it and has only had normal maintenance items and a few small mechanical repairs (window regulator, oil pressure switch, blower motor). We had a 2002 Mazda Tribute before that and sold it with 250K miles. We have had a great experience with Mazda's, and we will look hard at them again when it's time.

Land Cruiser Series 200, it's a huge upgrade ride wise over the LC 100.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Lexus gx460 is a little smaller but still reliable. No telling what the used market on looks like now but a few years ago they were reasonable

4runner

I should have added that I don’t want to add any hard money to this. The NADA average for mine is about $18K, so I’m not sure yet how far that would take me in this market, but I am sure it won’t let me upgrade to a 200 series, as much as I’d like to. There’s about $40K of home maintenance projects about to come due any day, so additional vehicle costs would have to really make sense.
    ~ George Washington

Get the Lexus equivalent..no brainer if LC's are in short supply. If you cant find that Lexus LX470, I'd consider a Subaru vehicle for resale and reliability.
    At least I'm housebroken.

I’d be looking a little deeper on that NADA value. May be a bit low. Go to carsandbids.com and lookup closed sales for your cruiser.

1st gen Sequoia
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    4runner
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by Elcid_Fowler View Post
    I’d be looking a little deeper on that NADA value. May be a bit low. Go to carsandbids.com and lookup closed sales for your cruiser.
    Unfortunately, it appears that the NADA $’s are higher. Crap…

Thanks for your ideas. I’ve got some homework to do… and heavy hoping that the repair bill doesn’t trigger the ‘Totalled’ limit.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 07-18-2022 at 10:16 PM.
    ~ George Washington

4Runner as others have mentioned or a second gen Honda Pilot before they turned them into minivans.

Wouldn’t go wrong with the LC200, Lexus, or a 4Runner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Wouldn’t go wrong with the LC200, Lexus, or a 4Runner
    I agree with you, but if my LC is totalled, depending on the payout, I'll be lucky to see if I can find an LC100 that isn't all beat up by kids, etc. Mine has some scuff marks, and had one body repair, but overall it's in pretty good shape other than wear on the driver's seat. Not sure I can find an equivalent one. The 4 Runner is a likely option, although from what I recall when I was trying them out before I bought my LC, it is by far a big step down from the LC, and they ride like the PU truck frame they're built on. I suspect I'm in for a rude awakening.

The only knock on the LC100, and probably the LC200, is the mileage. I'm currently running a 13.6 - 14.4 average, depending on if I get non-ethanol, which I used to be able to get for the same price as E-85, but lately it's been upwards of $0.40/gallon more, which makes it borderline as a break-even, at best.

I know that Pilot is a pretty good vehicle, but it strikes me as a women's car. Inasmuch as I'm a Lesbian stuck in a man's body, the Suburu might be a better fit...
    ~ George Washington

Woodie- Buy MaggieGlover's Sequoia that is in the Trading Post. You won't find a cleaner one, more well taken care of anywhere, and it will last easily another 200K.

Buy back your wrecked LC and get it fixed

2006 H1 w/ the LLY Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDecoy View Post
    Woodie- Buy MaggieGlover's Sequoia that is in the Trading Post. You won't find a cleaner one, more well taken care of anywhere, and it will last easily another 200K.
    I've been giving that some serious thought. I surely don't need an SUV that's 10" longer and 6"(?) wider than the LC, but the darn thing appears to get better mileage by about 5 mpg, so that's an advantage.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    Whoa, those prices are virtually twice that of the sold ones on CarsandBids.com

Quote Originally Posted by BET
    Buy back your wrecked LC and get it fixed
    That is/was also a consideration. What stopped my thinking was that the guy at ABRA Auto Body in Anderson, who has something like 30 years in the business, said that the hit angle I took in the left upper rear actually bent/torqued the whole back half of the body box, including the internal frame and the roof up to the front window on the left side. It blew my mind when he showed me the evidence of what a damn 2-3 mph hit could do.

I asked him whether if he couldn't get the new parts if he could source them from a junk yard. He said that some shops might, but they wouldn't because the number of heat cycles on the metal joint areas could cause liability due to loss of structural integrity.
    ~ George Washington