Thread: Sailfishing off SC

Don't know if any of you have heard about the sailfish bite off of SC. There have been several boats coming back in with double digit release numbers over the past week. I fished last Sat., which was probably the slowest day for everyone out of the past week. We went 0-2 on sails but saw close to 20 free jumpers. Bait was extremely thick out there. You could see the sails cutting through the surface bait. It was awesome. Hope to get back out there before they go away.

I hope it will last for another month or so. They were thick until November last year. Its pretty impressive how many releases have been recorded over the last three weeks.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

I hope it lasts too. We are going to try and get out there next week if the weather will let us. have you been fishing at all?

Its going off again, wish the wind would lay out so my small boat can make it to the 460 line.

In 93' I was mating on a boat called the Calcutta out of Atlantic Beach NC. I remember it was sometime in October when we ran into the sails. For three weeks, everyday somewhere between 1800 to 2200 fathoms, we caught em and they were as predictable as bailer dolphin. One day we released 12 sails and two spearfish. We didn't have enough flags. My forearms had scratch marks all over em for weeks.

I remember one time we hooked up three or four at once and the captain pulled the boat out of gear and told me to look into the wash. There were numerous fish circling right off the stern. Must have been ten or more of em. I grabbed a fresh rig out of the box, snapped it on the nearest rod, pulled out about ten feet of string off the reel and flipped it back into the group. I held the line with a single wrap and set the hook in the first open mouth available. I forgot how much fun sails can be.

Reminds me of Isla Mujeres. Theyr'e balling bait, only thing missing is frigate birds.

PP,
    Come fish with me as soon we can get out there.

Let know when and where and I'll see if I can play hookey.