Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Bed Battery Box Brain Storming

Seems like I have seen hook ups for additional batteries in some of the 4x4 forums. Look uo such a forum for your truck and post or search the question.

I'm with Glenn on this one. Keep it simple.

In an old POS that I have it has an extra tray for an extra battery, of course. I have thought about doing a second battery since I leave the beast at the club and I expect dead batteries. Nothing has failed yet of course.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Battery in back. Solar charger somewhere else facing the sun. Chill.

If you hooked it up such that the alternator was charging both batteries, wouldn't you have to increase the alternator output sizing?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    If you hooked it up such that the alternator was charging both batteries, wouldn't you have to increase the alternator output sizing?
    Yes if total consumption was higher than output. I suspect he has a 150A alternator and it will handle 2 batteries fine.

Most diesels have 2 batteries already.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I plan on running 4 gauge copper from battery to battery. Probably 10 gauge tinned from auxiliary power source to each outlet.
    This should work fine. I think they used 8 gauge on a 20 ft run in my boat

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 07-15-2022 at 01:29 PM.

Buy the smallest Honda generator plug shit in and forget about it the rest of your life.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Reasonable and simple alternative. Also consider the predator line.

KRT. Problem solved. You’re welcomed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Battery in back. Solar charger somewhere else facing the sun. Chill.
    This. Search on the overlanding sites, I’m sure you’ll find a bunch of examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    This. Search on the overlanding sites, I’m sure you’ll find a bunch of examples.
    Done tried to tell him.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    KRT. Problem solved. You’re welcomed.
    I agree with the ex-Yeti pimp.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I hear you on the fuses.

diodes and isolators are above my paygrade in the 12 volt world. Unless I can go to amazon or ebay and get something like that in a "kit" I'm not savvy enough to do it. I know and am comfortable with my limitations.

I would want my batteries to be linked at all times unless I am plugging stuff in while the engine is off. Dont want to drain my starting battery. A manual cut off would protect against that.
    Admirable statement.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

I just saw this. I love the idea. You don't need huge cables from the car's battery to the bed battery but you certainly want to fuse it at the car's battery. I would worry most about vibrations eating through the insulation on the positive cable and shorting out the truck. Blue Sea makes the perfect isolator...

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...ps%2C66&sr=8-1

If you want to use the bed battery as a back-up starting battery you'll need to run very heavy cables and use the full Add-a-Battery system...(I wouldn't do this - if you need you can simply take the bed battery up front and jump it from there).

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...ps%2C74&sr=8-2

If you want to do it right...On the truck side, I'd start with a MIDI/AMI type Fuse 30 to 50 Amp

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...s%2C71&sr=8-10

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Systems-...ps%2C65&sr=8-3
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Rubberhead knows what’s up when it comes to wiring stuff.

One thing to add, when Rubberhead says you don't need a huge cable he is definitely correct but "huge" could mean something different to everyone. I think there's a "that's what she said" joke in there...

I'm not making any assumptions about what one does or doesn't know when it comes to electricity but if you use a 50 A fuse like he suggested then you need a 6 AWG wire, minimum.

A large part of my career as a controls engineer is electrical design of automation systems. So I do know what I'm talking about and I don't want to see you catch your truck on fire. Just trying to help.

I also worked at a car audio/security shop in college doing installs. Boy did I see some dangerous things occur because of under fusing (sometimes not fusing) wires appropriately. Not stuff we did, stuff others did.

KRT
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

I’ve disagreed with 2/3 of what I’ve read in this thread if that tells you anything.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Tried to tell em a couple few days ago…..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    if you use a 50 A fuse like he suggested then you need a 6 AWG wire, minimum.
    Not exactly correct. The insulation properties have a lot to do with this as well. THHN and THWN would require 6 but He needs to use a higher strand count cable for this application. SGX or similar is typically used in automotive situations.

#6 SGX is rated for 125A and 50V

K.I.S.S.

Mount your battery, inverter and accessory outlets in the bed as needed and power it with solar panel on the roof. Leave the battery close to the tailgate for easy removal to use a 110v charger as needed.
    I would keep it separated from the trucks electrical system.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 07-18-2022 at 05:51 AM.