Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mushroom id

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Gentlemen - chicken comes in lots of color variations and there are 2 species of Sulphur Shelf mushrooms in SC.

Both vary in color based on “age”

OP - see if they have white spores.

Again, do not any mushroom based off what you read here.

I believe it to be early chicken. But I’m not a professional mushroom man.
    Chicken of the woods is orange with a yellow ring. It also does not have a stem, or gills, which the OP pictures clearly show this mushroom having both of.

I'm by no means an expert but this is 100% certainly not a chicken of the woods.

To the OP - right now the whole state should be covered in chanterelles after all the rain we've had. Go pick those instead, they're easy to identify and very good to eat. Slice them up and put them in a pan to cook out the moisture first, then add some butter, fresh garlic, salt and pepper. Eat them that way or top a venison steak with it. I like them on eggs too.

6FEF0B88-093E-4CD6-AF86-C8C07A38CA09.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    Hickory, what book is that?
    6FEF0B88-093E-4CD6-AF86-C8C07A38CA09.jpg I bought it from Mushroom mountain in Easley. Olga who owns it is a bad ass. Her ex Tradd is pretty well known in the mushroom world (you’d be shocked at the medical advancements being made with shrooms, if big pharm and baseless laws would get out of the way). Olga said she couldn’t say for sure what it was in the original picture, without spore prints and better top and bottom pics.
    I’ve grown up in the woods like most of y’all, from MS, TN, MT, and the last 25 years in SC. I never paid much attention to mushrooms until the last 5 years or so. A forester buddy of mine in GA was in to it and we started on chanterelles, oysters, and chickens. I stick with about 8 or so known edibles and feel 100% confident in feeding them to my kids. Store bought seem like a nasty lab raised, mass produced, flavorless detractors to a meal. Like Jimmy mentioned, the woods are full of chants right now and add a tasty flavor and texture, so if you’re a woods type person and are able to look up and read, why buy them from the store?
    When you deviate away from the basic ones (like this picture), you need to know what you’re doing before you eat it (spore prints, exactly what it’s growing on, underside/ top/ stem/ vail characteristics, etc), or you’ll end up with the runs and a gut ache, or worse (destroying angel-google it. They are everywhere around SC and will kill you. They grow in my yard in Pawleys).

Thanks hickory, just ordered that book, i stick with a couple i can recognise, chicken, morels and giant puffballs, need to get aquainted with the chants this year
    Last edited by Frank1; 07-13-2022 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    Thanks hickory, just ordered that book, i stick with a couple i can recognise, chicken, morels and giant puffballs, need to get aquainted with the chants this year
    Add lions mane and oysters to that list. You can get a load of morels and chanterelles and you’ll usually stumble across a few of the others while looking for them.

Ok. I’m back to stance 1. I have never seen a chicken in person with stems/stalks that well defined. Big has me thinking that maybe they are young and just have not grouped up and crowded the stem out, but IDK if they are ever supposed to look like that. Somebody positively ID that babs already.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    You shroom pickers amaze me. I’d love to be able to harvest mushrooms out of the woods but I doubt I’d ever be comfortable enough to do it given that it seems like an edible mushroom always looks similar to one that’ll kill the hell out of you. That and the out-of-pocket cost of having my stomach pumped.

Any specific books y’all would recommend for fungi identification?

This is why I stick to chanterelles, oysters, hen of the woods, and whatever some sketchy dood I don’t know sells me at a concert…play it safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I love mushrooms. I get mine from Publix or Harris Teeter...
    This here, wild, some are very good, some will kill you and some will get you high. The ones at the store just make you fat.

15.4 lbs about a month ago after the last good rain we had The pink basket belongs to the girl I was with the case you were wondering. She has her license to sell. My favorite dish has probably been beef stroganoff loaded with chanterelles

65CB133A-9A12-4D19-B35E-15C6202A7B90.jpg

AF03CB25-5F7F-47A1-A9C5-72989D042381.jpg

180E4AA0-E429-421E-BBBC-331D3D8F7DB4.jpg

Finishing up two weeks in a NoDak hospital and heading to the midlands shortly after midnight Monday. Going to stop by Traders, say hi to the good folks there, pick up a nice bottle or two of wine and some Woodford, then heading to the Chanterelle woods. Looking forward to fresh chants with some of my bud’s Alaska salmon if he still has some left. Hail yez!

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    Finishing up two weeks in a NoDak hospital and heading to the midlands shortly after midnight Monday. Going to stop by Traders, say hi to the good folks there, pick up a nice bottle or two of wine and some Woodford, then heading to the Chanterelle woods. Looking forward to fresh chants with some of my bud’s Alaska salmon if he still has some left. Hail yez!
    My better half gifted me a fifth of Woodford double oaked this week for my birthday. It’s pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Come on by, I'll be around most of the week. I haven't even stepped in the spot we talked about, I found a great one a few years back, still waiting wasn't there yesterday yet, Nutz and I edged over to it

Quote Originally Posted by billbuster84 View Post
    My better half gifted me a fifth of Woodford double oaked this week for my birthday. It’s pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a good bottle. I bought one for the first time the day our daughter was born.

Every year on her birthday I get another bottle, they never last the full year. I've got the original bottle saved with our daughter's hospital bracelet and little pink beanie they put on her. Good memories.