Thread: 6.5 Grendel ammo

Default 6.5 Grendel ammo

I'm getting a 6.5 Grendel upper for my daughter to start shooting deer with. I have a 556 upper setup exactly like the 6.5 upper so I figure she can shoot cheap 556 stuff for practice and then switch the upper over when its time to go hunting. The problem I am having is with the ammo availability. Pretty much all I can find is Hornady Black ELD Match 123gr. or Nosler 120gr ballistic tip for damn near $3 per round.

Anybody have any experience shooting deer with the Hornady ELD Match stuff?

Anybody have any 123gr Hornady SST they want to get rid of?
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 07-11-2022 at 01:22 PM. Reason: spell check

Not directly, but generally speaking, that would be a non-preferred bullet (as you know). For our 6.8, I had to broaden my ammo search this season because I couldn’t find Fusions. Went ahead and got some Deer Seasons in same grain for back up.
    Carolina Counsel

its 33 a box here in Rock Hill. I have the black in 123 for shooting and the Hornady 123 SSt for hunting. I can swing by the store tomorrow and see if I can find some for ya

A lot of people shoot ELD-M for hunting. Wasn't Hornady's intention with the bullet, but it seems to mushroom and perform really well for a lot of people.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

The ELD Match does a great job on deer, you can use it without worry.

ELD match ammo is good to go for hunting. I personally believe it is the same ammo as the SSTs. The ballistics on the box are only different by 1 fps.

thanks for the replies fellas. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a few boxes of the ELD Match.

I've done a lot of looking into the 6.5 Grendel myself, the Hornady SST's and BLACK ELD's are pretty much the go to ammo right now.

I love the round. I have a 14 inch AR now and am building another on in either 16 or 18

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie1976 View Post
    I love the round. I have a 14 inch AR now and am building another on in either 16 or 18
    I've been thinking about buying one in a bolt gun. The bad thing is that there's only a few options right now. I may go ahead and buy a Ruger American Predator. I have one in 6.5CM and it shoots WELL under an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    I've been thinking about buying one in a bolt gun. The bad thing is that there's only a few options right now. I may go ahead and buy a Ruger American Predator. I have one in 6.5CM and it shoots WELL under an inch.
    For the money they are great

The Howa rifles are very good. But the mag option is better on the ruger.

Get dedicated 6.5 Grendel mags.

I have had good luck with the Hornady 123 gr SST, Nosler 129 gr. LR Accubond, and the Alexander Arms 129 gr SST.

All of which are hard to find right now.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

ED2A4D00-86B3-489B-8B9C-1F0279ECF9BA.jpgthe grendel is a bad little rd, like nitro said get a couple dedicated mags,, I like lancer mags
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

Put a mark in the Nosler 129 ABLR category for me. My rifle didn't like the 123 SST nearly as much as the 129's. I don't load so I bought my ammo from Precision Firearms. When I bought they used Lapua brass but have gone to a less expensive brass now.

https://www.precisionfirearms.com/m8...ong-range.html

IMG_2043.JPG
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

Fwiw. Ive killed deers With match ammo. It did what pointed soft points did at the same distance.