Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: June 29, 2022 - Day 3 in Africa

great read, keep it coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Day two and day three were the first threads I looked for when I logged in today.

Day four will be the first thread I look for tomorrow...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I don't mind a bit. I did some smart things and some dumb things but all told it's going to be about $11k. My wife doesn't fly and my son didn't want to go so I went by myself.

The bulk of that is plane tickets, day fees, animals, tips and taxidermy.

Day fees run between $300-$350/day for hunters or $200-$250/day for non-hunters (observers). This covers room/board/PH/Tracker/Skinner/Trophy Prep/water, cokes, wine, beer/daily laundry. My day fees were around $2k.

Animals - each animal has a price tag - it just how things work - some even pay by the inch of horn but not the one I used - most safari companies have published price lists - basically the bigger the animal the more expensive - cull animals and cull hunts can be pretty cheap. My animals were around $2.8k. If you wound an animal - you pay for it. If you don't shoot - you don't pay.

Tips - Everyone that supports you during your safari will expect/deserve a tip - and you give it to them face-to-face. About $1k total in my case

Transportation - just about every safari company will personally pick you up at an airport and drop you off - some itemize the charges, others don't, mine did not charge extra for that - do not travel in Africa on your own especially RSA.

Taxidermy - it can be expensive - I am only getting a couple of Euro mounts and two tanned hides and mine was about $1.2k not counting shipping and import duties.

Plane Tickets - I got mine before the Ukraine crisis so I they were pretty cheap - you can spend upwards of $9k on tickets that a suite and some reclining bed-type things. I went with the "comfort plus" mid-grade with extra legroom and bought early so I got bulkhead seats with a lot of leg room. This also included travel insurance so I could get a full refund on canceling, free seat selection and 2 free checked bags - get cancelable tickets instead of buying separate travel insurance. I was very happy with selection - about $2.3k

Travel agent = $300 + $150 for the rifle permit. I think I wasted most of that money - a safari company can probably help you with the rifle permit.

Travel Health - I got the yellow fever vaccine but it wasn't totally required. I also got malaria meds and updated DPT and tetanus.

Pay the minimum to the safari company to hold your dates and don't pay the remainder until the day before you leave. I paid day fees and some for animals then settled up at the end for the remaining balance - they had wifi at camp so I just used paypal.

Picking a safari company is something of a risk. There are some actual money-stealing scams that are usually pretty transparent so it's not a huge risk - just make sure your company has a good on-line presence and check references. Use facebook to find references on your own. There are some that will guarantee animals or are somewhat cheaper than others - these are more farms than actual hunts but that's all some folks are wanting.

There is an Africa hunting site with a lot of guys willing to help you - there's a lot to this and I only know one little piece.

Thank you sir for the response and depth.everytime i watched those african hunting shows,i always wondered how much all that cost.Be safe and hope you bag some big ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot_Commander View Post
    Thank you sir for the response and depth.everytime i watched those african hunting shows,i always wondered how much all that cost.Be safe and hope you bag some big ones.
    It's actually not much more than shooting a single oryx in NM...but you can't take the meat home from Africa. I'd love to have a freezer full of gemsbuck.
    Last edited by Rubberhead*; 07-11-2022 at 11:51 AM.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Day two and day three were the first threads I looked for when I logged in today.

Day four will be the first thread I look for tomorrow...
    ...don't put me under too much pressure...maybe Wednesday...

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    ...don't put me under too much pressure...maybe Wednesday...
    No more pressure than trying to split the heart in half on a bucket list critter, on a bucket list hunt with the eyes of your PH over your shoulder...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Great read and great pictures as usual. Keep them coming RH.

Excellent read.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

Excellent as always sir
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

"ahem"

"ahem"
    It is, in fact, Wednesday. Has been for almost 12 hours now.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    not that anyone is counting or anything....

Fun fact, when I go, I do plan on shooting monkeys and baboons... no headshots though. I want the full hollywood spectacle.

Fun fact, when I go, I do plan on shooting monkeys and baboons... no headshots though. I want the full hollywood spectacle.
    That made me laugh. Monkeys are easy. Baboons are super wary...a waterhole hunt from a blind might be your best chance. I didn't hunt them but only saw baboons once. Vervets were everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    You realize it's not Wednesday right?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Colin4 View Post
    You realize it's not Wednesday right?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    :deep exhale as I pat you on your head thinking bless your heart smilie:

I think we should do a GoFundMe thing to send rubberhead all over the place to hunt and then write about it. That would be a lot cheaper than flying all over the world but I would still get to feel like I had been there. I am certainly enjoying this thread. Thank you for sharing this with us.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt