Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginning reloading with old supplies

You’ve got a haul there. It also looks like your grandfather worked up what he felt was an equivalent load with his handwritten recipe there.

I know virtually nothing about charge bars and bushings as I’ve always used the universal bars, but I’m sure some of these guys can clarify that stuff.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

That Clays is worth it weight in gold. Damn fine 45 ACP powder for target loads as well. 7/8 oz of 7.5s over Clays in a AA, STS, or Gun Club hull going about 1300 FPS is my go to 12 gauge load for clay and doves. Shoots soft, cycles my Berettas reliably and kills doves well.

The MEC bars you have are for the following:

302, 100: This is a bar for a single stage press such as a 600 Jr or Sizemaster. It drops 1 oz of shot and should accept powder bushings like the one in your other picture. For lead shot only, not steel or one of the new “wonder metals”.

302, 078: Same as above but will drop 7/8 oz of shot. Again it is lead shot only.

502, 118: This bar is for progressive presses only, just as it is installed and drops 1-1/8 oz of lead shot only. It should also accept powder bushings.

Of the hulls you show, the best by far are the old Winchester Compression Formed hulls. The one marked “Upland” is one. Those are the same construction and use the same data for Win AA hulls. The best for reloading will have an 8 segment crimp.

Shot will be your most expensive component. As FLS mentioned, 7/8 or 1 oz of shot between 1200-1300 fps will break targets and kill birds cleanly while having lower recoil. Enjoy your new hobby. It will end up costing you more money but you will shoot more.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Totally unrelated....

I have several spaghetti jars of powder from a guy that reloaded shotgun shells.

I have no idea of what kind of powder. Guess I'll be making some fireworks with it.
    Use it as fertilizer, not worth the risk.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I may have missed it but do you have a scale to measure the powder charges? If not I would suggest getting one. Actual weights will probably be different than what the book says a bushing will drop. BTW the size 57 primer is smaller in diameter than the 209. Back in the day some Remington hulls used the smaller size primer. Never knew why for sure but I loaded a lot of them back in the 70’s. The hulls had a sawdust base wad. Mostly crap hull. However, If you run across any Peters Blue Magic hulls, I will buy them from you. Best hull ever made.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    I may have missed it but do you have a scale to measure the powder charges? If not I would suggest getting one. Actual weights will probably be different than what the book says a bushing will drop. BTW the size 57 primer is smaller in diameter than the 209. Back in the day some Remington hulls used the smaller size primer. Never knew why for sure but I loaded a lot of them back in the 70’s. The hulls had a sawdust base wad. Mostly crap hull. However, If you run across any Peters Blue Magic hulls, I will buy them from you. Best hull ever made.
    I just now saw this comment. For some reason I'm not getting notifications when someone replies. I do have a balance beam scale that I used to verify my first batch. You are right, as the powder charge was a tad bit lighter than what the bushing chart said it would drop. I'll have to look at what I have in regards to the Peter's Blue Magic hulls. Do they load the same as Remington game loads?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post
    I just now saw this comment. For some reason I'm not getting notifications when someone replies. I do have a balance beam scale that I used to verify my first batch. You are right, as the powder charge was a tad bit lighter than what the bushing chart said it would drop. I'll have to look at what I have in regards to the Peter's Blue Magic hulls. Do they load the same as Remington game loads?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    They load pretty much like an STS hull. Always best to check the book though.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.