Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginning reloading with old supplies

Default Beginning reloading with old supplies

My dad used to reload a good bit when I was young, but never seemed to have the time or need as I got older. With his passing and dove season on the horizon, I'm wanting to pick up where he left off and use as much of his old supplies first before trying to locate new. I just ordered several reloading manuals and load books from Midway USA to start my research, and I've printed out the manual to the MEC 8567 Grabber press. My reloading knowledge at this point is beginner level I'd say as I've only hand loaded for the .460 S&W. My initial online searches haven't produced much because I haven't found any load data for the R12H wads and I see the Unique powder I was going to use is a newer formula now and potentially uses different charges than what the new books show. I'm wanting to try to match the stats of the old Heavy Dove loads by Remington. These pictures are a sample of what I have to work with, and I was wondering if y'all had a load I could try with the older supplies?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Ill look at my older manuals this weekend and let you know what I find.
    Reloaders love a good piece of brass<br />Not only did Samuel colt make all men equal.....He also made it easier for me to sleep well at <br />night

I can check my manuals, also, but need to know the exact primer model you’ve got.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Yeah I got those in an old Lyman manual I can pm tomorrow morning. Also used the 12 H wads and the Herco powders. Most red dot and blue dot

Lyman Shotshell Reloading Manuals are where you should start. The newest is now the 5th edition. Look at the end of your press’s charge bar. There will be stamped numbers. Older MEC bars were bored for specific shot weights and powder charges. Newer bars will accept powder bushings.

That 700X and the Unique would be good starting points. 700X was the standard for 12 ga target loads for many many years. Unique is a slower burning powder. PB is no longer made but good for heavier field loads. The others are better suited to rifle. That 4227 is good for pistol load#.

Are those the only shells you have… the Remington Hi-Velocity Express with a white colored composition base wad inside?

And do you have any Remington 57 primers, or only the CCI? And which CCI model#?

Are all of you hulls the Remington 12H’s, or do you have others?

Are you planning to reload both 2-3/4 and 3”.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 07-06-2022 at 08:30 PM.
    ~ George Washington

All I load in 12 & 20 ga is Unique. Check your wads to make sure they are still soft. Some wads when old get brittle and they will crumble apart. Looks like are your powder is in sealed containers so it should all still be good to go.........BEWARE of old Remington Hulls. Some take a #57 primer which is smaller than the standard #209. IF you have #57 primers they will fall out of a standard #209 hulls.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Are those the only shells you have… the Remington Hi-Velocity Express with a white colored composition base was inside?

And do you have any Remington 57 primers, or only the CCI?

Are you planning to reload both 2-3/4 and 3”.
    No, he had an unfathomable amount of shells. He was the kind that would walk around after a shoot picking up everything people left behind! Most are in Rubbermaid totes unsorted and are all different brands. I found 2 totes full of these Remington high velocity separate. I just assumed those were his preferred hulls to reload since he took the time to separate them. I also found another tote of these Winchester separated out too.

I'll have to look again, but I'm pretty sure I saw several boxes of the Remington 57 primers. I didn't realize those were shotgun primers so I didn't include them or the others in the pictures. I'll get a picture of all the different wads, primers, and powders tomorrow. I just saw he had the most of all Remington products and assumed that's what he used most.

I'm only looking to do 2 3/4's right now. I will probably move to steel shot and 3" later down the road as my duck loads dwindle but I'm good for now on those.

Quote Originally Posted by Model12 View Post
    All I load in 12 & 20 ga is Unique. Check your wads to make sure they are still soft. Some wads when old get brittle and they will crumble apart. Looks like are your powder is in sealed containers so it should all still be good to go.........BEWARE of old Remington Hulls. Some take a #57 primer which is smaller than the standard #209. IF you have #57 primers they will fall out of a standard #209 hulls.
    Great point, Model 12.

Scoutlover, thus far, the only load data I can find for those Remington Hi-Velocity Express shells call for Rem #57 primers with R12H wads… 1-1/8 oz shot @ 1255 FPS and 24.0 grains of Unique. That’s from a 1981 Hercules Reloaders booklet. That would require a #30 MEC charge bushing, unless there you have a universal charge bar like I have on my shot shell reloaders.

The newer Reloader Guides and the #4 Lyman manual don’t even include those black Remington Hi-Velocity Express hulls. I’d suggest taking another inventory and tell us exactly what hulls, primers and wads you’ve got as the load data doesn’t seem to quite match with what appears to be on the table in the top picture.
    ~ George Washington

Scoutlover, we were posting at the same time. I’ll wait until you have a complete inventory as there are probably many more load combinations available with various Winchester hulls and CCI 209(x) primers than the Express and 57 primers.

Btw, if you have a tub full or more of the Rem Hi-Velocity Express shells, that don’t show cracks at the crimps, or crack when you crimp the first few (due to age or heavy usage), and you have #57 primers (assuming the fit like they should and he followed load directions), I’d lids them up until you ran out of Unique. That should give you a good start.

Just take your time and only have the components out that you will be using so there are no mixups. It happens too easily, so be safe and never deviate from the published load data. Have fun!
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 07-06-2022 at 09:12 PM.
    ~ George Washington

Scoutlover, we were posting at the same time. I’ll wait until you have a complete inventory as there are probably many more load combinations available with various Winchester hulls and CCI 209(x) primers than the Express and 57 primers.

Btw, if you have a tub full or more of the Rem Hi-Velocity Express shells, that don’t show cracks at the crimps, or crack when you crimp the first few (due to age or heavy usage), and you have #57 primers (assuming the fit like they should and he followed load directions), I’d lids them up until you ran out of Unique. That should give you a good start.

Just take your time and only have the components out that you will be using so there are no mixups. It happens too easily, so be safe and never deviate from the published load data. Have fun!
    Thanks Woodie! I'll post back up as soon as I have time to take a full inventory!

Unique is a good powder but it’s dirty as heck.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

4350 and 4831 are rifle ONLY powders.

Totally unrelated....

I have several spaghetti jars of powder from a guy that reloaded shotgun shells.

I have no idea of what kind of powder. Guess I'll be making some fireworks with it.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Totally unrelated....

I have several spaghetti jars of powder from a guy that reloaded shotgun shells.

I have no idea of what kind of powder. Guess I'll be making some fireworks with it.
    Don't keep it in your minivan...

No minivans in the bigbrother household.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Totally unrelated....

Just be aware that smokeless powder and black powder are drastically different. You can light a pile of smokeless and it gradually flares up. When the match gets close to the black powder, it immediately make a very big "poof" and all the hair on your arm and your eyebrows will be missing. The difference is hard to emphasize with just words.

Here is a picture dump of all I unearthed. My mom actually surprised me with a shotshell reloading manual he had beside his recliner in a magazine basket! I'm headed to work now but I'll spend some time digging through his notes.

More

These are the hulls. They are actually more organized than I thought.