Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting to Africa

Default Getting to Africa

6/26/22

A 4-hour delay at the gate in Atlanta cost me my chance to see the Kalahari from the air. The scheduled 7 pm departure on Saturday turned into a 9 pm landing local Johannesburg time the following day. Needless to say, it was a long day but it was good to finally hear, "Welcome to Johannesburg" over the plane's intercom.

After the boarding doors were opened, I stayed with the herd while we got our forehead temperatures checked and passports stamped. Hunters, like everyone else, got their normal luggage first then broke off into their own group to get their guns from RSA authorities. I had expected at least one hiccup but everything was quick, easy and flawless. South Africa certainly understands the value of hunting tourism.

My PH met me on the way to the office where guns were being handed to their rightful owners. Whether on purpose or not, he certainly looked the part. Green shorts, a long-sleeved shirt in a slightly different green, and a well-worn leather hat with a sweat-stained band. His South African accent completed the package.

The three-hour drive through the South African dark was somewhat anticlimactic. There were no rogue elephants on the side of the road nor lions darting across. In the dark, Africa didn’t look that different from some familiar places in South Carolina. Other than the right drive car the only real betrayal of which hemisphere I was in came when the PH stopped at a midnight gas station to fill up. The attendant wasn’t in a hurry to be helpful. Nick, the PH, told me that South Africa doesn’t allow drivers folks to “throw their own petrol”. He jumped out and spoke, what I found out later was, in Zulu to the attendant. Of course, I didn’t understand a single word but the tone was unmistakable – something like “hey, what are you doing? Get your lazy butt over here and pump some gas.” It was matched by the tone of the retort and a back-and-forth started that was clearly some sort of banter. They were both quick with replies. A mutual respect seemed to develop and before long the gas was pumped, a credit card scanned, and we were back on the road.

Finally, a more substantive clue that I was nowhere near Kansas. As we turned into the property I’d be hunting, a surprisingly large Spring Hare hopped across the side road inadvertently keeping itself centered in the turning headlights. I’m a little embarrassed to say that my gut knotted with some sort of childish excitement. I came a long way to recapture that feeling so I allowed it to course through every fiber. It was a long slow drive through the property but we finally reached the camp. The pit in the boma was lit up with a roaring fire that felt good in the June winter cold. It was close to 1 am local time and I was the only client in camp but its three other inhabitants, the chef, housekeeper and tracker/skinner named Big John, were up to welcome me with a traditional African greeting and a much-appreciated lemon-aid type drink. Big John, by the way, is aptly named.

We talked for a while and I was shown my tent. By the time I organized my belongings for tomorrow’s hunt it was 3:00 am. The last thing I did before laying down was let my handheld GPS get a signal lock so I can find the camp on map when I get home. I use the GPS as an alarm clock too so the satellite lock ensures that it has got the right time. I had only 7 days on the ground in Africa and I didn’t want to miss a single minute of it.

If folks are interested, I'll post more as I sort through things, tweak grammar and edit photos.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Sounds like the start of a once in a lifetime trip. Good luck!

Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Welcome home. Sounds like a an awesome trip. Please proceed.
    Double Secret Probation Officer

YES! Always look forward to your photos and poetry, & now an Africa trip! I'm ready for the full 7 day story!!!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

This should be good...

Scducks very own Hemingway.

Cant wait to see the adventure through pictures!

This is the content I'm here for. Keep it coming RH...

“If folks are interested”,... what a jokester.

Bucket list trip for me too..

Give us some of that Capstick / Bell stuff..... I know this read will be worth the time.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

This thread is going to be awesome!! Can’t wait
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I'm sure I won't be the only one checking back often on this thread .
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

This thread may break the site. Lol. Can’t wait to read the full write up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Always enjoy reading your stories and looking at the pictures.

Looking forward to it with everyone else, RH.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I enjoyed reading it and look forward to hearing and seeing more about the trip. Awesome experience.

Unless I missed it, what are hunting for?

Glad to see you're finally making the trip. Shoot straight.

We want to hear all about your trip. Enjoy it!

Yes! Bring it on RH. Can't wait
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004