Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skycruise

Default Skycruise

Watch the nuclear-powered flying hotel that can stay airborne for years with 5,000 passengers

A video of 'Flytanic' has the internet divided

https://interestingengineering.com/n...d-flying-hotel

I will take my chances down here on the ground.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

1 hour in a plane is long enough for me.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Highstrung could be "Sky King" and get all the tan he wants.

The Navy tried to build one of these rigs in Idaho back in the 50's or 60's. I am not sure that the idea really took off at the Pentagon, but there was a prototype if I recall.

Other than some obvious security measures, it has always surprised me that nuclear power used in subs hasn't been used in planes and trains. I'm guessing weight and heat are serious issues for planes when it comes to nuclear reactors.

I'm not getting on a cruise ship with that many people, I damn sure ain't getting on a glorified airplane with that many.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    Other than some obvious security measures, it has always surprised me that nuclear power used in subs hasn't been used in planes and trains. I'm guessing weight and heat are serious issues for planes when it comes to nuclear reactors.
    With carriers and subs, you're pretty much surrounded by your cooling system. Ain't that much water around trains and airplanes if they're functioning correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Highstrung could be "Sky King" and get all the tan he wants.
    Haha, if I only had a few servants on the thing.. I'm not trying to be Captain Kirk. Being on that Hindenburg look alike with all of those passengers might just be my own new personal hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    With carriers and subs, you're pretty much surrounded by your cooling system. Ain't that much water around trains and airplanes if they're functioning correctly.
    Feel like it is pretty cold up there @ 30k feet.

Good call. Google says somewhere between -30F and -45F.

But having water to pump through a radiator-type system might enable more efficient cooling over ambient air temperature? Idk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

The Windscale Piles were a pair of air-cooled graphite-moderated nuclear reactors on the northwest coast of England in Cumberland (now Sellafield, Cumbria). The two reactors, referred to at the time as "piles", were built as part of the British post-war atomic bomb project.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windscale_Piles

However, like a lot of British built trash...

The Windscale fire of 10 October 1957 was the worst nuclear accident in the United Kingdom's history, and one of the worst in the world, ranked in severity at level 5 out of a possible 7 on the International Nuclear Event Scale.[1] The fire was in Unit 1 of the two-pile Windscale site on the north-west coast of England in Cumberland (now Sellafield, Cumbria). The two graphite-moderated reactors, referred to at the time as "piles," had been built as part of the British post-war atomic bomb project. Windscale Pile No. 1 was operational in October 1950, followed by Pile No. 2 in June 1951.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windscale_fire

Hopefully we can beat some 1950s technology but recent events has me doubtful.

"Being on that Hindenburg look alike..."

My first thought also. Looks like a cross between the Hindenburg and the Titanic. No thanks.

I was expecting Buffets’s “Pencil Thin Mustache” but that’ll do too.

At altitude they have all the cooling they need.

By the time you put in all the radiation shielding it had no payload

The air force figured that out in the 50’s or early 60’s I think

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_NB-36H
    Last edited by mello_collins; 07-01-2022 at 04:41 PM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

That's so messed up on so many fronts that I'd need to take my shoes off to count the ways...

The nuclear reactor just makes the heat to turn water to steam which then turns the turbine on ships and subs, thus all the water you want. That contraption would seemingly have to haul a shit ton of water use using nuke to run shit. That’s most likely the reason we don’t have nuc planes and trains. I’m no engineer but
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Where's the poop and trash go?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft