Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When I start thinking about all the public land I could be hunting…

Default When I start thinking about all the public land I could be hunting…

…but never will, as it is in Griz country, something comes across YouTube that makes me feel better about my decision…missed seeing a yearling horse get eaten by about 20-30 seconds according to my calculations.

Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 07-01-2022 at 01:18 AM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Just one of those things. We hiked and fished all over Idaho and Wyoming when I lived out there. Only ever saw 1 Grizz and thankfully it wasn’t feeling fiesty that day. Just carry bear spray and or a big gun and rock on. If its your time then it’s your time. I wouldn’t let that extremely low percentage danger keep me from enjoying the backcountry out there.
    More Ducks, Less People

I am more scared of being stomped by a moose than bears. When I spent time in Wyoming I had a couple incidents of being harassed by brave black bears, but the moose encounters were far more frequent. I came out of a thicket on a small lake flyfishing only to find myself between mama moose and her calf. I put my grip down and swam across to the other side of the lake watching and praying she didn't trample my 5 weight.
    DILLIGAF

I've probably spent 3000 hours in wilderness areas out west and have yet to see a grizz.
    Carolina Counsel

A friend of mine went on an Elk hunt in Wyoming one year. Said the most terrifying moment of his life was a grizzly sow coming out of nowhere after them. He took a few steps back and just as he started to draw his firearm she calmed down and left. Like she false charged him or something.

He never could bring himself to go back after that moment and I can't say I blame him. Firearm or not, he was lucky.

Hunting deer in areas with moccasins and gators is enough adventure for me. Hats off to you Jeremiah Johnson/Revenant types.

Never realized a bear was that fast over that distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    I am more scared of being stomped by a moose than bears.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by scquackaddict View Post
    Just one of those things. We hiked and fished all over Idaho and Wyoming when I lived out there. Only ever saw 1 Grizz and thankfully it wasn’t feeling fiesty that day. Just carry bear spray and or a big gun and rock on. If its your time then it’s your time. I wouldn’t let that extremely low percentage danger keep me from enjoying the backcountry out there.
    Speaking of big gun, watch the following, pretty interesting.

Was right outside of Cody last weekend and spotted a sow and a cub along with a blackbear in 2 minutes of glassing. Also the same area my buddy saw 7 griz in a few days fishing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Grizzly is my one true fear. I respect everything but they genuinely scare me. It wont keep me away from grizzly country and if all my stars align, I'll hunt one one day but yeah, they scare me.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

You are missing out on some serious Elk habitat if you steer clear from bears.

I have hunted Lion and black bear and have never been as scared as when I had a big grizz within 20 yards. I don't care what you say about roll on with a gun or bear spray, it won't help much if they get the spring on you.

I had both on Kodiak a few years back and walked up on a sow with cubs on a deer carcass, if she had seen us before we saw her, the only thing to do would be hope it missed you on the charge.

A handgun is better than nothing but not much.

We hunted Montague Island in Alaska and my dad asked the boat captain what he thought about carrying a 10mm while bow hunting. The captain said it will definitely kill the bear but probably not before he kills you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hasn't anyone seen the movie The Revenant? case closed. It's real and it happens.
    At least I'm housebroken.

There are worse ways to go out.

Flick said he saw some grizzly bears over by Pulaski's drug store.

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    There are worse ways to go out.
    Like dying at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent years in Alaska. Encountered them hundreds of times. They know what a human is and what it will do to them. Nothing to fear unless you’re between them and their cubs or them and a good food source when food is low. I watched a 65 year old man kill one with a 12 gauge when it got in the boat with him. Same man killed one with a .357 when he was walking his dogs. The bear died within feet of him. He was one of the best all around shooters I’ve ever seen. Especially with a pistol. Attacks are rare. If you let that stop you from going into the best places on earth then I genuinely feel bad for you
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.