Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is tipping the new panhandling?

Default Is tipping the new panhandling?

Overhead some grocery store cashiers talking about putting tip jars by the register. Where is the line drawn between doing what you are paid to do and going the extra mile that may be worth a little something extra? Seems like everyone thinks they deserve a tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The line is, if you haven’t been served or have yet to consume the product they are selling, no tip.

As far as the cashiers, I’d see that tip jar and get out of line and head to self check out.
    Last edited by Cwaysvt; 06-30-2022 at 04:27 PM.

Formerly DM88

I've been tipped a few times now in my stores. I guess I just look younger and helpful. I told my last customer who tried thank you. The first out of towner that pulled a dollar out for me was called an asshole by his sister in law.. kinda in a joking manner, then she told him I owned the place.

Self Check-Out is a communist invention! It typically sucks and doesn't work!

As for tips, ridiculous. Predict that in 12 mos, most will be begging for a job once the stimulus funds dry up in gas tanks and through inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by sc_slim View Post
    I refuse to use self check out. If you’re going to treat me like an employee I should get employee discount. Also, if I forget to scan a few items, don’t blame me, I got zero training.

I like the gratuity included restaurant models that are starting to pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post
    The line is, if you haven’t been served or have yet to consume the product they are selling, no tip.

As far as the cashiers, I’d see that tip jar and get out of line and head to self check out.
    Is it customary to tip your barber? I mean he is technically serving you but you are paying what he already thinks it’s worth. And doing a great job should be the goal for repeat business

Quote Originally Posted by sc_slim View Post

As for tips, ridiculous. Predict that in 12 mos, most will be begging for a job once the stimulus funds dry up in gas tanks and through inflation.
    Love some self check out. Generally faster if there is a line at the register.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Ghost View Post
    Is it customary to tip your barber? I mean he is technically serving you but you are paying what he already thinks it’s worth. And doing a great job should be the goal for repeat business

Depends on how much you trust the person holding the scissors. I always tip em.

I tip people that earn a servers salary. I don't know what it is now but when I was a bartender I think it was a $1.50/hr because tips are the main source of income. People who simply operate the register are paid a reasonable hourly wage (for what they do) so I don't see it being too far off from panhandling when they put a tip jar by the register.

I also tip my barber because she's the only person I've found that can cut my hair and I want to keep somebody working around my head with sharp objects happy. She ain't bad looking either so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    I like the gratuity included restaurant models that are starting to pop up.
    I lived in Australia for 6 months. No tipping and the quality of service showed. The same thing could happen here under a gratuity included model in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    I lived in Australia for 6 months. No tipping and the quality of service showed. The same thing could happen here under a gratuity included model in my experience.
    I’ll offer up Canada as an example as well. You could forget a drink refill.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 06-30-2022 at 05:45 PM.

Yeah you should probably tip your barber. But that comes after the service has been completed and you know that you’re happy with it.

Are you saying the service was better or worse in Australia? Unfortunately tipping in the service industry has become almost as expected as a paycheck and it shows in a lot of places.

Love some self check out. Generally faster if there is a line at the register.

I am same way, always quicker if I can do it

We were in Mexico in February and I found out that the cashiers actually work for tips like servers here. I thought that was interesting..
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

If you take my order. Bring my food from the kitchen to where I’m seated and the order is correct and I don’t have to beg for a refill you get tipped. Just because gratuity is already added to the bill doesn’t mean you have to pay it. Also, that $2/hr tip wage has to be brought up to the $7~ minimum wage by the business if the tips received aren’t greater than $7~ minimum wage. But that requires the waiters/tresses to report all their tips. Which they don’t because no one likes paying taxes

I tip most waiters or waitresses like thirty to fifty percent if I'm sitting down to eat. Usually more then that if I'm at my Waffle House. I tip to go orders closer ten to twenty percent.