Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.0 vs 3.5

i would do some serious research on the 5.0 ford coyote motors. there is a laundry list of problems with the motor mostly relating around solenoids and excess oil consumption. i have the 5.0 and have had to reprogram the PCM due to excess oil consumption as well as swap out solenoids. ford has a TSB out about this program, but the only rec is to reprogram PCM, fill it up with oil and change out dipsticks. then it's up to the owner to monitor oil consumption and add oil as needed. i'm sorry, but that's not a fix.

google ford 5.0 excess oil consumption and there are many threads started on the subject.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

My neighbors 2019 5.0 is in the shop at 42k with a 6 month lead time to get parts. Needs an engine or build, at least that's his claim. Got me looking at Tundra.
    Double Secret Probation Officer

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    i would do some serious research on the 5.0 ford coyote motors. there is a laundry list of problems with the motor mostly relating around solenoids and excess oil consumption. i have the 5.0 and have had to reprogram the PCM due to excess oil consumption as well as swap out solenoids. ford has a TSB out about this program, but the only rec is to reprogram PCM, fill it up with oil and change out dipsticks. then it's up to the owner to monitor oil consumption and add oil as needed. i'm sorry, but that's not a fix.

google ford 5.0 excess oil consumption and there are many threads started on the subject.
    We have 2 2019s in the shop right now and a third with a dropped cylinder. The two in the shop are for cam phasers and cam position sensors. Fine since we got them to the shop quick but could have blown the motors.
    For the ducks

Quote Originally Posted by ceddy View Post
    We have 2 2019s in the shop right now and a third with a dropped cylinder. The two in the shop are for cam phasers and cam position sensors. Fine since we got them to the shop quick but could have blown the motors.
    i have a '19 5.0 as well. prior to replacing solenoids truck would shudder at idle and then occasionally just completely turn off. was the worst after riding on cruise control on the interstate and then hitting traffic and having to slow down to a stop. guaranteed to shut off.

since i replaced solenoids i haven't had any issues, knock on wood. replacing cam phasers would be the next step but that is damn expensive.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

18-20 5.0s are plagued with problems.

The auto stop is automatically disabled when a trailer is plugged in to the back.

If mashing a button when you start it is too much for you to keep up with then get a trailer light tester and plug it in. It will be recognized as a trailer and the auto stop will be disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    295/70r18’s on level, 12 mpg average with the best I’ve seen at 14 mpg. I know it’ll run forever but it’s thirsty. I like the way it drives, be better with some tires that weren’t cupped and noisy as heck. I’m exploring my options right now before I throw new tires and wheels on it.
    Salty- did you have your Speedometer re-calibrated when you put on the larger tire? A 295 is 2.2" Taller than a 255(Stock Size) and it would show considerably lower mpg if you didn't. I have a 2018 Tundra with 295/65/20 on now from a 275/55/20 and mine shows 12.3mpg on Truck Computer, but in Trip Distance Traveled on Map App, it is actually about 14.9mpg.

Tire weight can play a big factor. Over size 18 are all E rated for a f350. 17 or 20 inch rim allows you to get larger tire that is not as heavy.

My 2011 f150 5.0 averages 16. That is with E rated tires. 33 inch. Bilstinen 5100 one notch up from stock on front. Still enough rake that I can hook up a boat and not look like a high-school kid going down the road.

Used oil since new and ford says 1qt every 3000 was fine. BS. I just add oil and will drive it till wheels fall off.
    Last edited by mello_collins; 06-30-2022 at 04:02 PM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDecoy View Post
    Salty- did you have your Speedometer re-calibrated when you put on the larger tire? A 295 is 2.2" Taller than a 255(Stock Size) and it would show considerably lower mpg if you didn't. I have a 2018 Tundra with 295/65/20 on now from a 275/55/20 and mine shows 12.3mpg on Truck Computer, but in Trip Distance Traveled on Map App, it is actually about 14.9mpg.
    Came on it when I bought it. Seems to be right on every time I pass the speed radar in a neighborhood.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I have a ‘16 3.5 with just shy of 160k miles on it. Average 20-21 mostly interstate to and from work and have done nothing but change the oil in it. It is stock other than aftermarket wheels 275/55 nitto trail grapplers with 91k miles on them. I have not been easy on my truck. I have pulled my tractor, 10’ cultivator, and trailer combined 13k lbs numerous times. It will probably break down tomorrow now.

2017 5.0 with camper shell, leveled on 35x11.5 (36 gal fuel tank) 13ish around town and 15-16ish on the interstate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Have you tried mashin' ctrl/alt/del?

We got 6 with the 5.0 from 2015 to 2020 year models.

We haven’t had any engine issues.
    Most still have less than 100k miles on them.

Average around 16 with stock tires
    The one with the 3.55 rear end gets a little better maybe 17.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumping this one back up.
    Drove a 2020 Raptor w/ 3.5 HO last week. Pretty impressive.
    Trying to avoid the diesel in the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. Toyota is still on list, just trying to find a nicer ride w/ bells and whistles over the Tundra.
    Double Secret Probation Officer

Before you sell the Tundra for a profit you better make sure you can replace it at a reasonable cost. Trucks are still short. Saw a new F 250 on the way home with a paper tag so maybe there is hope.
    Last edited by centurian; 08-24-2022 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    Before you sell the Tundra for a profit you better make sure you can replace it at a reasonable cost. Trucks are still short. Saw a new F 250 on the way home with a paper tag so maybe there is hope.
    I’ve ordered what I want. It’ll be here when it gets here. I’ll keep the Tundra until I get what I want for it. There’s no shortage of vehicles to drive here. I’m seeing plenty on lots now, just not optioned like I want. All these dealers with these market adjustment and MSRP pricing are starting to sit on inventory with interest rate hikes and high fuel costs. My local Ford dealer has 4 or 5 PSD Super Duties. They keep trying to trade me out of my F350 into one but no way that’s my work truck and I got it for a song compared to these prices.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

2019 F150 crew cab 2.7 ecoboost 4x4
    Came with 245 on it, leveled and 265/70/17 at 8,000 miles
    285/75/17 since 60k miles
    Got 123k now and average since new is 16.4mpg computer was not recalibrated either, that’s a lot of idle time and towing too

Just had to have new hub/4wd actuator put in by KRT, only “major” item done and our fleet company has us servicing every 10k miles. Been a great truck overall, I did add a set of helper springs to rear to not squat so much under heavier loads.
    Last edited by cusportsman; 09-04-2022 at 10:13 PM.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

To Georgetown and back and around town.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 09-05-2022 at 09:25 AM.

I have had too many 5.0 to remember in the past 20 years, as well as the 5 guys I work with. We have never had an engine problem. We have had 2 Ecoboost and both of them were in the shop pretty regular.

We change oil as supposed to and trade somewhere between 150-200k miles.

There was a time we were real hard on the truck too. Not near as bad now.

Been pretty damn bullet proof.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Had a 2019 5.0 Lariat leveled with 35s…loved the truck except it hunted gears until I tuned it and it had the 3.55 rear ratio. I average 14 mixed city and highway. Miss that truck but wanted and now need something bigger so got a 2022 powerstroke that I ordered. Love it and the mileage is good but it’s an expensive drinker.

My 2012 F150 ran like an absolute champ for ten years, but I never got better than 16.5 mpg from the time I bought it. I also will attest to the oil usage issue, but I stayed on top of that and never went more than 4k miles between oil changes. I bought it with 12k miles in 2012 and drove it everyday until it started skipping about a month ago. I was hopeful that it was just worn out spark plugs, but the #4 and #8 cylinders both have significant pressure loss, and I’m going to have to get a new truck because the cost to replace the motor coupled with the labor involved wouldn’t be a smart investment. I can’t really complain, though. I made it all the way to 287k before this happened!