Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maine hunting dog law

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Strike View Post
    Let's say a hound is trailing a coon, and keeps getting zapped ... Hound has no ability to reason why or that it only concerns a property line.

Results ...... Hound broke from trailing coons.
    Maybe a poorly trained one. The boy I’ve been letting coon hunt you tone the dog one time and holler and she will come right back, we practice what we preach around here. I also have a great relationship with most of my neighbors and they let us coon hunt their places as well.

"It looked like a deer to me sir"

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    As in with a certain model garmin you can auto set boundaries on the map that will zap them automatically?

Which model does that?
    Alpha 100. It doesn’t zap them, you do if your dogs aren’t trained to return to you on tone and calling.

I think it’s called “Geofence”. You can build a boundary with up to 10 pts. When the dog gets to a line between any 2 of those points you get an alert.

My beagles would all return to me with a tone and me calling to them. Every ranging dog should be trained to do the same. Yes, it sucks to call a dog off an active track for any reason, but there are times when it absolutely has to done. Clifford was the only dog I had that I would have to convince with a bump of electricity to leave a rabbit and come back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Alpha 100. It doesn’t zap them, you do if your dogs aren’t trained to return to you on tone and calling.

I think it’s called “Geofence”. You can build a boundary with up to 10 pts. When the dog gets to a line between any 2 of those points you get an alert.

My beagles would all return to me with a tone and me calling to them. Every ranging dog should be trained to do the same. Yes, it sucks to call a dog off an active track for any reason, but there are times when it absolutely has to done. Clifford was the only dog I had that I would have to convince with a bump of electricity to leave a rabbit and come back to me.
    Jake is very well tone broke,

I just didn’t realize that was an option with the newer garmins, I’m still running a 320
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I used to love taking guys running with me that were used to field trial dogs that were slow and to have the rabbit jumped for them and called to it. I pulled up, let my dogs out then climbed up on the dog box and drank coffee, lol. When it was time to go I toned em and they came back to me.