Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maine hunting dog law

Default Maine hunting dog law

New law requires hunters in Maine to keep dogs off posted property

by Pete Warner
    June 28th 2022

(BDN) -- Maine landowners who do not want hunters and their dogs accessing posted property are the intended beneficiaries of a new law scheduled to go into effect on Aug. 8.

The civil trespass with hunting dog law puts the responsibility on hunting dog trainers and handlers to make sure the animals do not access posted property. Some hunters in Maine employ dogs to pursue bears, coyotes, bobcats, raccoons and foxes during the regular seasons for that game.

The law does not apply to anyone who uses a dog to hunt snowshoe hare, waterfowl, ruffed grouse, woodcock, wild turkey and other species of waterfowl or migratory birds.

The law emerged from discussions in a stakeholder group that included both hunters and landowners. Maine property owners expressed concerns about hunting dogs going onto private, posted property and disrupting people, livestock, pets and wildlife.

The new regulation aligns with the existing Maine law that prohibits hunting on posted property. Hunting, with or without dogs, is allowed on any land that is not posted.

Those aged 16 and older who wish to hunt bear, coyote, fox, bobcat and raccoon, or who want to train dogs to hunt bears, foxes and raccoons, will now be required to have a dog training and hunting permit.

The permit, which does not mandate any training for the dog handlers, costs $12 (plus agent fee). Proceeds from those sales will benefit the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife’s Landowner Relations Fund.

A person who is training or hunting with a dog under the supervision of and in the presence of a registered Maine hunting guide who has a valid dog training and hunting permit is exempt from possessing the permit.

Although most hunting dogs generally are already fitted with tracking collars, the new law mandates that any dog engaged in hunting bear, coyote, fox, bobcat or raccoon or training to hunt bear, fox and raccoon must wear a functioning tracking collar that allows the handler to track the dog’s location at all times.

The collar must include the name, phone number and address of the dog owner.

A dog owner, trainer or handler is in violation of civil trespass with a hunting dog when turning a hunting dog loose on posted property or allowing a hunting dog to access property where the landowner has communicated to the dog handler that they do not want hunting dogs on their property.

A violation also would occur if someone’s hunting dog enters property upon which a hunting dog has been previously found and a law enforcement officer has warned any handler of that dog within the previous 365 days that hunting dogs are not permitted on the property in question.

A handler whose dog enters posted property, and leads the landowner to file a complaint against that person with law enforcement, would receive a warning for the first such violation.

The penalty for anyone convicted or adjudicated of civil trespass with a hunting dog is ineligible to obtain a dog training and hunting permit for a minimum of one year.

Some landowners, including those who post their property and do not allow hunting, supported a dog hunting law to help protect their right to privacy and to reduce the potential for conflicts.

The law was supported by groups such as the Maine Woodland Owners and the Maine Professional Guides Association.

https://wgme.com/news/local/new-law-...osted-property

I like it, a lot.

The law does not apply to anyone who uses a dog to hunt snowshoe hare, waterfowl, ruffed grouse, woodcock, WILD TURKEY and other species of waterfowl or migratory bird.

Wild Turkey, with dogs? I imagine there are absolutely 0 Turkey Poets left in Maine as they have all had a stroke and died a slow, painful death.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Boykins were originally used as turkey dogs. They would help scatter the flock during fall season (which we don't have anymore) and then would sit quietly with the hunter as he tried to call the birds back to flock up.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    The law does not apply to anyone who uses a dog to hunt snowshoe hare, waterfowl, ruffed grouse, woodcock, WILD TURKEY and other species of waterfowl or migratory bird.

Wild Turkey, with dogs? I imagine there are absolutely 0 Turkey Poets left in Maine as they have all had a stroke and died a slow, painful death.
    I used to watch the American Gundog show on the outdoor channel when I could catch it. There was a turkey hunting episode and it was actually pretty neat. They used what was called an Appalachian Turkey Dog (if I remember right) and the dog would run in a busy up a flock. They would set up and do a comeback or assembly call and the dog would basically crawl in and hide in a gunny sack for camouflage. hens were fair game in that state as well in the fall of the year and that’s what they killed in that particular episode.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post

Pretty sure they have a fall either sex season, too. Lol. Fun as hell to scatter the flock and call in a frightened young jake or hen and blast it in the face. Never heard of using hounds, though.
    Last edited by w33kender; 06-29-2022 at 07:51 AM.

All that regulatin' from one angry yankee on a youtube video.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    All that regulatin' from one angry yankee on a youtube video.
    Are you referring to that soy boy in Vermont that was getting into it with the VT bear hunters?

Somebody say turkey poet? Turkey dogs are pretty cool.

F336A796-6325-4FE6-A108-0D723EFECDFB.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Are you referring to that soy boy in Vermont that was getting into it with the VT bear hunters?
    Was that Vermont? I thought it was Maine.

My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Was that Vermont? I thought it was Maine.

My bad.
    I think it was VT, Either way I think we are talking about the same situation.
    If the property owner had just wanted them off of his property I could’ve probably supported him a little more but instead he was trying to shut down bear hunting with hounds in the whole state

Property boundaries can be set up to give the dog a friendly reminder to stay out in a Garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Property boundaries can be set up to give the dog a friendly reminder to stay out in a Garmin.
    You talkin bowt ridin the lightnin switch?
    At least I'm housebroken.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    As in with a certain model garmin you can auto set boundaries on the map that will zap them automatically?

Which model does that?

It would be a game changer to have those garmin units interface with OnX or huntstand and zap on crossing a border, or coming close to one.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    It would be a game changer to have those garmin units interface with OnX or huntstand and zap on crossing a border, or coming close to one.
    for what kind of hunting? Rabbits?
    At least I'm housebroken.

Let's say a hound is trailing a coon, and keeps getting zapped ... Hound has no ability to reason why or that it only concerns a property line.

Results ...... Hound broke from trailing coons.

Good point. I see the problem, dont have a solution to it. but...I guarantee someone is working on that interface.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Somebody say turkey poet? Turkey dogs are pretty cool.

F336A796-6325-4FE6-A108-0D723EFECDFB.jpg
    Get 'em to run the turkey across the property line to you?

Good point. I see the problem, dont have a solution to it. but...I guarantee someone is working on that interface.
    It's called training. You actually train them just like you do with a whistle or shock collars to reinforce positive behaviors and suppress negative.