Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat not starting well early in the morning

Default Boat not starting well early in the morning

I have a hightide 1503 with a 2001 mercury 60hp 2 stroke. When I go to crank it usually turns over maybe twice then fires right up but the last 2 weekends I was up bright and early to check trot lines and my engine would just turn and turn and finally fire up after cranking forever. Any ideas?

Nematodes
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Probably tired. It was early
    More Ducks, Less People

Quote Originally Posted by scquackaddict View Post
    Probably tired. It was early
    My thoughts as well. Just needs more sleep.

But if you want to fix it....

Pour a Bang in the gas tank. The cotton candy flavor.

My old 3 cylinder 90 was a fickle bitch on a humid morning. Same in the cold.

Is this a new trend for the engine or has it always been like this? If recent you can check/clean carbs, plugs, carb adjustments and check timing.

Had a 50 mercury on a high tide that acted the same when cold starting.

Got a Mercury 50 HP 2 stroke that was like that......First thing I did was quit using ethanol gas.......Second. Added mechanic in a bottle and seafoam to cut out and
    wash out the enthanol deposits. Mine cranks fast and runs MUCH better now.

Only had the boat a month

Pay to be a supporting member and list it for sale.

Sounds like it's gonna be nothing but issues like most boats are. Count your blessings you got out early and take up golf.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Pay to be a supporting member and list it for sale.

Sounds like it's gonna be nothing but issues like most boats are. Count your blessings you got out early and take up golf.
    Don’t think that’s gonna happen lol I’ll get it figured out, like I said most of the time it’s fine.

Run the seafoam through it before you do anything else. Run more than you think you need.

Change the plugs and run some ethanol free fuel and seafoam through it and see if that helps. Also check your gas line for ethanol build up.

Did you be sure and give it a proper cussing before trying to crank it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmartin231995 View Post
    Don’t think that’s gonna happen lol I’ll get it figured out, like I said most of the time it’s fine.
    It's $25. Think of all the money you'll save in the long run.

If golf isn't your thing, I hear soccer is an up-and-coming sport?

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobieMcDoobie View Post
    Did you be sure and give it a proper cussing before trying to crank it?
    Reminds me of the old joke about a preacher buying a lawnmower.

A preacher bought a push mower from a young boy and couldn't get it to start. The boy asked him "did you cuss it?", and the preacher said "son I've been a preacher for 20 years, I've forgot how to cuss". The boy said "you keep pulling that cord and it'll come back to you."

Empty the tank or replace it, use ethanol free 100% gas, quality 2 stroke oil, replace the fuel/water separator filter and a bottle or two of SeaFoam through it. Some people love those 2 strokes, screw that, give me a 4 stroke and turning a key.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Reminds me of the old joke about a preacher buying a lawnmower.

A preacher bought a push mower from a young boy and couldn't get it to start. The boy asked him "did you cuss it?", and the preacher said "son I've been a preacher for 20 years, I've forgot how to cuss". The boy said "you keep pulling that cord and it'll come back to you."
    I got a chuckle.

Don’t know your experience with boats, but one month is not enough to me to know how a particular motor acts. ALWAYS use ethanol free gas. Seafoam at about 3-4oz a gallon will clean a lot of residue out. Make sure you have it primed before trying to start.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

n/m

i'd do the seafoam thing and check your fuel filter.

and use quaker state
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 06-28-2022 at 03:55 PM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

If it has one of those grey fuel lines throw that pos in trash and go get some black rubber fuel line from napa.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.