Thread: Waites Island

Default Waites Island

One of the last unspoiled beaches near Myrtle Beach to be saved from development

SAMMY FRETWELL
    JUNE 28, 2022

One of the last stretches of undeveloped seashore near Myrtle Beach will be protected from development now that an extended court battle has been resolved, conservationists say. The northern third of Waties Island, a sandy land formation in the shadow of the Grand Strand’s dense development, is expected to be purchased by the Open Space Institute, which will then deed the property to the S.C. Department of Natural Resources. That’s according to the S.C. Environmental Law Project, a non-profit legal service representing a landowner who has been trying for years to sell her portion of the 2.5-mile long island for protection.
    Olivia Boyce-Abel, who is selling the land for conservation, said she hopes the sale will have a domino effect that could trigger protection of the remainder of the island. “I’m very relieved and excited that this (legal fight) has ended,’’ said Boyce-Abel, a member of the Tilghman family that owned Waties Island for years. “I’m excited for the future of the land and what it means for the preservation of the land for the people of South Carolina and for conservation.’’
    Regardless of the reason, Norman Pulliam, who chairs the state Department of Natural Resources board, said saving Waties Island is important. Waties Island has been under development pressure for years, said Pulliam, who remembers taking a small boat over from Cherry Grove to Waties Island long ago to enjoy the beach with his family. “It’s fabulous property,’’ Pulliam said of Waties. But without protection “It will be developed.’’
    Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...#storylink=cpy

That’s good to keep it out of development. Although a private buyer with an easement may have been a better choice than the state. The state can’t seem to keep up with what they have now.
    More Ducks, Less People

Quote Originally Posted by scquackaddict View Post
    That’s good to keep it out of development. Although a private buyer with an easement may have been a better choice than the state. The state can’t seem to keep up with what they have now.
    Correct

OSI has been on a spree lately in South Carolina. I dont know much about them. I wonder if the state is also planning to take Buckfield and add it to the Slater Tracts.

OSI.JPG

Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.